The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 26, 2006, 06:46 PM   #1
scout4118

BP Firearm Manufactures???

I'm new to BP and have decided on an 1851 Navy Steel Revolver. My problem is I feel like a chicken pecking through the S@!T trying to find the feed. Is there a site where I can get a listing of all the manufacturers and reviews of there respective firearms? Kinda like a Harmony Central for firearms. If there isn't any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old February 26, 2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Remington kid

Scout, For me to sit here and tell you all about the two manufactures of these Revolvers and all the distributes and what they do is kind of useless when it's all being discussed right now at this link, I'm sure it will helps with your decision, Mike
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=185375
Old February 27, 2006, 01:33 AM   #3
gmatov

Scout,

Go by price. Start with Pietta as the minimum, at Cabela's at 169.95, and if they don't look good enough for you, look at Uberti's and Cimmaron Firearms Uberti's, at about 100 bucks more.

If you're new to this, don't know if you will enjoy it, why go to top priced guns? They won't shoot any better. The best you can do is 1 hole and all CAN do that, if you are good enough.

Like saying I want to try a rifle, gonna buy a 40X for my first.

180 or so for the pistol, shipped, 4 bucks for caps, 9 bucks for 100 balls, 15 to 20 for a can of powder, 7 for a tube of Borebutter, or a quarter to the wife for a little Crisco for over the ball grease, which you don't need, see Mike, but you might want to try. 225 bucks or so to go shoot the first 100 rounds.

You don't like it, shoot all the consumables, sell the gun on Gunbroker, most likely get most of your money back.

You show an interest, I would be surprised if you did NOT like it after your first outing. Go buy one, give it a whirl, you'll be back here in a couple days with raves and questions, what do I gotta buy, now. Not much more to buy, although I shoulda mentioned a measure for 15 to 20 grains of BP way back then. You should have one, for consistency, but you can use a measure made from a cartridge case "dipper" till you buy one. A 38 special holds 24 grains of Black Powder, hacksaw 1/4 inch off it, you should have a decent load.

Buy one and shoot it, come back and tell us what you think, it is the dirtiest, smelliest sport I could ever imagine, or God, that stuff smells heavenly, I gotta go scrub this sonomagun for tomorrow, and get more caps and ball, got lotsa powder left, but gonna need more 'a that pretty soon.

I think it will be the latter. And welcome to the fraternity. Come back often, y'hear?

Cheers,

George
Old February 27, 2006, 07:50 PM   #4
Easy E

I just recieved a Pietta 1851 from cabela's, and was very pleasently surprised at the overall quality of it. There is a brief report and pic over on THR if anyone is interested. It's much nicer than my 1860 (also a Pietta) i've had for many years. I realize that it's kind of a "luck of the draw" with them. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Pietta based on this example.
Old February 27, 2006, 08:02 PM   #5
Old Dragoon

I think that "luck of the draw" was the norm, but Pietta has turned the corner and since their new machinery was installed sometime in 2000 I think, Things have been much better.
Old February 27, 2006, 09:43 PM   #6
gmatov

And, to second Old Dragoon, if you have a Cabela's nearby, you can exchange one that you think isn't up to snuff till the cows come home.

If not, a phone call, and they will still exchange it, but I think it will cost you the shipping.

They really DO want you to be a happy customer.

Cheers,

George
Old February 27, 2006, 10:37 PM   #7
ribbonstone

They all are "luck of the draw". Are boxed up and shipped from Italy, aren't reinspected here. Came up "OO" on one spin of the wheel and I got a .36 Remington with a .44 cylinder...they were apologetic, shipped me the right combination, and a pre paid return box.

the thing is, it had to have left Italy that way...and it did have proof marks...which makes you wonder about the truthfulness of the proofing process.
Old February 28, 2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Old Dragoon

Most of us at least ask someone at the place of purchase to check out the gun before it is shipped, if you cannot have that done....DON'T BUY IT! Buy where you can at least have someone knowledgeable to check it out, there are several businesses that will do that for you if you ask. Don't be afraid to ask, cause it's your hard earned bucks you are spending. If they give you a song and dance that they can't do it....thank them and go somewhere else.

I believe that the proofing is done on individual parts like the frame and bbl for the bbl proofing and the cylinder is proofed by itself out of the gun, as for test firing...I haven't a clue.
Old February 28, 2006, 12:40 PM   #9
eagle24

Uh-Oh! Didn't know they would do that at Cabelas. UPS shows my Cabelas 58 Rem, "out for delivery", so I should have it today. I didn't have someone inspect it, maybe I get lucky....yes! Maybe not, we shall see. Why is it I always find info like this after the fact. Maybe I not so lucky....I dunno!
Old March 1, 2006, 11:04 PM   #10
scout4118

Thanks for the replies. There is a wealth of knowledge in here. I just had a quick question. From what I'm reading there are 2 dominate OEM's F.LLI Pietta and Uberti and they supply to the distributors (Cimarron, Taylor's, Navy Arms,etc.) here in the US under there brand. Of the distributors which are the most historically accurate and has the tightest QC? In actuality that doens't soundlike a quick question.
Old March 1, 2006, 11:13 PM   #11
Weird Guy

Uberti is supposed to be better than F.L. Pietta.

Of the gun dealers in the US I don't know which is the most historic, and I don't think that matters much. They're just gun stores. I bought my revolver from my local sporting goods store out of a display case (mine was also a starter kit, so I got all the tools with it...and I find that I needed them all too).

On second thought, I have heard that Cimmarron does do their own quality control. They won't sell a gun unless they look at it for themselves first.

Another thing to buy is a screwdriver with the right sized bit. A very thin, but broad head is needed to exactly fit the screws. You have to take the pistol apart to clean the insides eventually, or it will rust from the inside out.
Old March 1, 2006, 11:37 PM   #12
Old Dragoon

The Chapman MFG. Co. makes a super gunsmith screwdriver set. Approx $30.00
A very good investment.
Old March 3, 2006, 09:29 PM   #13
scout4118

I was looking at Taylor's and Co. BP '51 Navy's and noticed that the .44 steel revolver requires a FFL. I've sent an email asking why several days ago with no response so far. The sheriff model is .44 and doesn't require a FFL. Does anyone possibly know why only on that model it requries it?

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/produ...y%20Collection
Old March 3, 2006, 11:22 PM   #14
Old Dragoon

UH..... let me guess....they're idiots or they ar in NJ. LOL
Could be because it is not a replica of a pre 1898 C &b revolver. The original Colt 1851 Navy's were all 36 Cal. not 44's Ne 44's were ever produced by Colt. this is an Italian remedy for those that like the '51 Colt Navy, but want a 44 cal. Purely a figment of an Italians imagination.
Old March 20, 2006, 02:54 PM   #15
Brent Vinson

Pietta seems like a good value

I think Pietta has improved their quality of late.
Got a 1860 Army from Taylor's & Company w/ R&D .45 Colt conversion cylinder. Put about fifty rounds of cap & Ball and cartridge each when I first got it. Yesterday I tore it down to smooth up the action.

Was plesantly suprised. The internals were quite well finished. Especially the Bolt, it was was mirror smooth. There was some grit from the machining process and trigger sear face need a little careful smoothing with a stone. I sanded the grips a little here and there to make them fit the frame better and polished a few machine marks off the brass trigger guard. Pistol is now really slick and smooth.

I paid less than $ 250.00 for this revolver. Really a good value for the money.

My other Italian clone is a Uberti "Cattleman" SAA. Paid about $ 375.00 at Bass Pro Shops. I gave it a similar cleaning/smoothing treatment and added a set of 1860 Army Grips/frame/triggerguard combo from VTI Gunparts. I've got long fingers so the Army grip works better for me. This is a really slick pistol now. It's as smooth as any SSA I've ever handled.

I think the current batch of Italian clones are pretty decent these days.
Add about 6 or 8 hours of cleaning, smoothing and polishing and the results are very rewarding !
Old March 21, 2006, 01:51 AM   #16
Weird Guy

You know, I bet that 1860 Colt Army conversion cylinder will fit the .44 Colt 1851 Navy as well. From what I read in Guns of the Old West magazine the .44 Pietta Colt navy is just a Colt Army with a different barrel (octagon barrel).

I was at the gunstore in town and they had both the .44 Navy and the 1860 Army, and I compared them side by side. They did indeed seem to have the same dimensions and cylinder lengths.
Old April 6, 2006, 06:46 AM   #17
Smokin_Gun

Try Taylors they have both Uberti and Piettas.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/blackpowder.tpl
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old April 6, 2006, 06:47 AM   #18
Smokin_Gun

How ya doin' Old Dragoon? Got any Piettas left?
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php