The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 13, 2005, 04:17 PM   #1
titleman2005

US Remington model 03-a3

looking for info regarding us remington 03 a3. the serial #is 3,607,XXX. Can any one provide manufacture date and todays high / low value. There are some letters (looks like "GSAA") burned into the wood on the left side of the stock above the trigger. It appears a large # were produced, are there still a large # out there. THANKS FOR ANY INFO.
Old August 14, 2005, 03:30 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Model 1903A3 was a modification of the Model 1903 rifle, commonly called "the Springfield". The changes were effected to make the rifle easier and cheaper to produce. The change of rear sight also made the rifle more compatible with the M1 rifle (the Garand) for training and combat use.

They were made by both Remington and Smith Corona. A total of 1,020,675 were made, all but 236,831 by Remington. Production began in December 1942, running concurrently for a while with the Model 1903 which Remington was also making. Yours was made in early 1943; maybe someone can come up with a closer date.

Many M1903A3 rifles saw service, but towards the end of the war, M1 rifles were available in sufficient quantity that new M1903A3's went from the factory into storage. After the war, many were sent to U.S. allies or sold to NRA members under the Director of Civilian Marksmanship program. Some received by NRA members were brand new, and unfired except for proof testing.

The new Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP - www.odcmp.com) is selling currently selling some for $400.

Value on the current market for an original (not rebuilt) one in top condition is around $800.
Old August 14, 2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Can't find anything about a stock marking GSAA but C-SAA would indicate a rebuild at San Antonio Arsenal.
Old August 14, 2005, 06:17 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

It should have "03-A3" and the manufacturer (Remington or Smith-Corona) on the receiver ring. The barrel should be marked with the manufacturer's initials (RA or SC) and have the month and year of manufacture. The stock should have the initials of the inspector, "FJA" and an "RA" if Remington.

NRA Life Member
Old August 14, 2005, 08:07 PM   #5
titleman2005

rifle

Thanks for the outstanding information. This is by far the best site out there.
Old September 17, 2005, 03:09 PM   #6
Johnny O.

My 03-A3 has the date month and yr on top of the Army ordinance symbol “the flaming piss pot” at the end of the barrel. Also look at the end of the muzzle for a * stamped in the end of it. All the rifles came off the same assembly lines but the ones that were measured and were found to be within a special tolerance were used as sniper rifles. These are wroth more $. I have a book put out be Remington with this info in it and if I weren’t in the middle of a move I would put the reference info for it here. I promise I didn’t mack up the * thing. Everybody always thinks I made that up. Has anyone else read about that or have an 03 with that stamp in the end of the barrel?
Old September 17, 2005, 03:32 PM   #7
Quantrill

I just went and checked my O3A3 and on the upper end of the barrel between the stock and the front sight is marked RA, the flaming pot and 7-44. There are a few markings on the sight itself but no *. I have often heard of "star gaged barrels" but never knew the "rest of the story". It certainly sounds plausible but I had never heard that story before. Interesting!!! Quantrill
Old September 17, 2005, 08:42 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Go here. Go to the 1903 page then fill in the whole S/N. http://www.armscollectors.com/srs.htm
Old September 20, 2005, 11:50 PM   #9
titleman2005

great info guys

thanks