The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 20, 2012, 12:39 AM   #1
7mmWSM

What Sights For Self Defense Shotgun?

My present self defense shotgun has a front bead only. Do you think this is good or do you have something that you feel would serve me better? Thanks.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:54 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

SureFire white light, EOtech...

For a protection 12ga, I'd buy a SureFire whitelight fore-end or add a laser-aimer/light if the weapon has any 1913 rails.
The EO holotech line of milspec red dot sights.
As many LE officials & security experts state, use of force incidents take place in low light. Aiming may not be needed with a "room broom" in a CQB event but a bright light may prevent mistakes/ADs.

ClydeFrog
Old December 20, 2012, 01:01 AM   #3
7mmWSM

The shotgun has no rails, nor is it drilled and tapped. I am OK with having a gunsmith drill and tap it for a rail. Is that the type of attachment point you are talking about?
Old December 20, 2012, 02:11 AM   #4
Viper225

Several Companies make a Forend for the 870, and the Mossberg 500/590with a built in White Light Flash Light. They are not cheap.

I have also seen clamp on barrel light mounts.

They also make a Tritium replacement for the Bead front sight.

I have a Pre Wilson Combat ScatterGun Technoligy TR870. It has there Trac Loc sights. Tritium Front Sight, and Ghost Ring back sight.

The built in flash light forend with a pressure switch is probably your best place to start.

Bob
Old December 20, 2012, 03:03 AM   #5
Perturbed Panda

Yeah I'd say your bead sight is just fine for in home self defense. If you're truly worried about it, I know there are rails that you can add on via the trigger pins on most shotguns. The obvious advantage going that route is you don't have to take it in to be drilled and tapped. A flashlight is a great addition, but if it's for use in your home utilize your knowledge and familiarization of it. You know where your light switches are.
Old December 20, 2012, 03:30 AM   #6
tlm225

My shotgun has a number of changes to it. Wilson (Scattergun Technologies) ghost rings, jumbo head safety, extended magazine and surefire fore end light. If I had to limit it to just one add-on it would be the surefire light.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:02 AM   #7
7mmWSM

The area that I live, out in the country, has had a rash of daytime B&E's, in the last couple of years, where they just kick in your door, grab stuff and go. From their MO they would be long gone before the police arrived to save my rear end. I am usually home during the day since I recently retired and I admit that it has me a little concerned. One of these break-ins happened less than a 1/4 mile from my house at 12:45 pm. Since these intruders have not been caught to my knowledge I have no idea if they are armed or not. I just don't want to be there if it happens and not prepared for trouble if they see me and decide to take me out. I have handguns also but feel the shotgun would have a better chance of stopping the guy/guys quickly.
Old December 20, 2012, 05:36 PM   #8
357 Python

For a home defense shotgun the bead sight will do just fine. It is quick to acquire and is usually right on target for the distances involved. Depending on the make and model of your shotgun a forend with the built in light is a good accessory. You may also wish to get a side saddle or other type of ammo carrier. If your is the 4 in the magazine type having extra ammo is always a good idea. Even with the shotgun don't forget about the defensive handgun. The shotgun is ideal for somethings but it does have its limitations.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:23 PM   #9
jmortimer

Bead will have fastest target acquisition. Rifle sights better for longer distance.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:47 PM   #10
scrubcedar

+1 on what mortimer says. My bps has a bead and I practice on stationary clay pigeons. They are perfect as they are about the size of a human heart, or even a head. At any range that would be reasonable in my house I can hit them almost every time, and I'm a noob to shotguns. It also helps in that it is easier to transition between multiple targets. I normally position my targets about 5ft away from each other so it is somewhat realistic.If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old December 21, 2012, 12:54 AM   #11
locnload

7MM I have two shotguns for HD use. One is a Winchester 1300 Defender that lives in the bedroom and the other a Remington 870 that lives in the safe or serves as a truck gun or for an occasional competition. Both have front beads and are quick to get on target. Unless you need to make 50-100 yard shots with slugs, the cost of adding rifle type sights would not be worth it in my opinion. I did add a a fiberoptic sight that snaps onto the front bead and is helpful in low light but lines up just like the bead. Good Luck.
Old December 21, 2012, 07:18 PM   #12
WW2

For a shotgun laser sight

I really like this one: http://www.laserlyte.com/products/cm-15 as it shows a pattern that gives you an idea of your spread. Also, you keep your eyes on the target and don't need to see the bead if it is dark.

However, use a white light to IDENTIFY your target as you don't want to blast a shotgun pattern in to a friendly target!

For a shotgun tri-rail see: http://www.laserlyte.com/products/adp-trir-140

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old December 22, 2012, 11:00 AM   #13
wyobohunter

None. Shotgun=point... Not aim (assuming you are using shot). Why complicate? Spend that money on shells and practice pointing it.
Old December 30, 2012, 02:19 PM   #14
jason_iowa

I agree with the above. Nothing wrong with a flashlight on your shotgun but you really need no sights for a home defense shotgun. Look down the barrel that is where the lead is going to go.
Old December 30, 2012, 02:31 PM   #15
ohiomossyoak

Bead or something simple will be fine..A light and or laser could also be useful imo..
Old December 30, 2012, 05:20 PM   #16
Brit

The shotgun has a bead? Paint it with that nice white paint, the one used for fixing scratches on white fridges.

Your eye is your back sight, slug hits on IDPA targets at 100 yds, no problem.

Buck shot, cheek hits stock, flash sight picture, press trigger, easy.
Old December 30, 2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Alabama Shooter

I no longer use a shotgun for primary HD but when I did it had 2X scope with shoot through rings a bead site underneath, laser and light. That is a lot of doo-dads but it was very handy and was perfect for HD and for use around the place. Very accurate within 100 yards.
Old December 30, 2012, 09:25 PM   #18
Mezzanine

Front bead is plenty for a shotgun. Its all about having a consistent shouldering point and head positioning. Then you dont need to see the bead to know where your shot is going. Trap, skeet and sporting clays are great tools to build shotgun proficiency and also are very fun. Although HD is a little different senario, proficiency is proficiency...
Old December 31, 2012, 10:05 AM   #19
Rifleman1776

SD and aiming? Isn't that an oxymoron?
If he is that close you need to shoot, just point and pull trigger.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:42 AM   #20
Alabama Shooter

I was also confused by the SD. In post #7 the OP clarifies that this is more for HD than SD.
Old December 31, 2012, 12:48 PM   #21
amd6547

The bead is fine for most uses.
If you want to see what a bead sighted shotgun is capable of, google "Hickock45 Mossberg 590". He easily and repeatedly hits his 80yd gong, as well as other demonstrations of accuracy.
I have fired pretty tight 50yd groups using slugs in my bead sighted Mossberg 500.
The best reason to have sights, I think, is the Federal Flitecontrol buckshot...it shoots so tightly that sights might be pretty useful.
Old December 31, 2012, 07:54 PM   #22
BigD_in_FL

You only need your eyes.......
Trust your eyes to make your hands point the gun in the right location.
You don't see sights on baseball bats or tennis racquets, your eyes and hands work together to make it happen, the same applies to a shotgun that fits you. It merely becomes an extension of your hands
Old January 1, 2013, 11:48 AM   #23
Pyzon

I've been pondering this same question, and stumbled onto the meprolight tritium front bead that might be the best all around solution for pitch black HD and regular lighting situations.

Any comments from users of this sight ?
Old January 1, 2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Screwball

I go with Trijicons, but also have the M3X to light up the target. Real fan of Remington sights, but I cannot use the standard stocks with their rifle sights. Bead sights are ok, but need more cheek height for the rifle sights. Glad Magpul came out with their SGA furniture.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:25 AM   #25
Tad_T

I snapped a green Tru Glo Glo-Dot II onto my Winchester 1200 Defender.

I also have these on both of my old Springfield 67E's, a 12 and a 20, that I use for hunting.

I like them. They are inexpensive, easy to pickup and see in both daylight and lowlight, and they have been durable for me. The length of the fiber optic also seems to make it easy to align instinctively.

They also come in red, if you prefer.

http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Shoo...uctId%3D741270