The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 06:47 PM   #26
Mystro

Just to clear this up for the pessimist amount us.... I practice REGULARLY at 75yards and have shot and shoot many times at over 200yards. I would have thought it was apparent I just didn't pull this shot out of my butt this one and only time. It was the first time I had a chance to use it in the field.
Hunting is all about calculated risks. You want guarantees, then go to the grocery store and stay out of the woods. I have taken 80-100 deer with a bow, 3 black bear, hundreds of turkeys, coyotes, and dispatched more farm animals that would fill a grocery store. I have been hunting since I could pick up a bow and gun. I know what wounded animals are all about and my concept of suffering and humane kills are quite solid. I typically am the guy that puts down the deer thrashing along side of the road by car strikes. Not to sound defensive but,...know YOUR own personal limitations and not judge (or guess) what mine might be. Would I take this shot again????Absolutely as long as the conditions that were present at the time were the same. (Relaxed deer, no wind, solid rest and plenty of prep time.). Remember the bullets moving faster than the speed of sound for most of its flight. Stepping out of the kill zone is not a factor, especially with a relaxed deer feeding.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; December 8, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:08 PM   #27
hardworker

Most of the people giving you crap for taking such a long shot would be the first ones to shoot at a deer from 100 yards with shotgun and wonder why they tracked blood drops for a while before the trail ran cold. Good shot.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:08 PM   #28
22-rimfire

Is your name Elmer?

Congrats on the shot.

Did you aim normally and just high or did you raise the front sight? Just curious.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:56 PM   #29
Colorado Redneck

I am totally jealous of your shooting skills. That was a great shot and you certainly should be proud, Mystro. Funny that some have to weigh in with negative comments. You have confidence and practice a lot. Nothing wrong with your shot. I had never shot my 270 over 250 yards, but took an antelope fawn at 360 longgg paces with it. Enjoy your doe and ignore the nay sayers.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:35 AM   #30
Rey B

Great shot. Now the important question, how are you going to cook the backstraps?
Old December 9, 2012, 01:16 AM   #31
Jbotto

Impressive sir! I have a long ways to go until I can shoot that well. Enjoy your venison!
Old December 9, 2012, 07:02 AM   #32
Mystro

Compared to the legend,...My name would be Elmer Fudd.. I have read everything I could on the man and consider myself a student of his work but choose to use a modern bullet. He dreamed of a 44cal hunting hand gun that shot a 250gr bullet 1200fps. Even though the 44mag can be driven ALOT higher in speed, with today's better bullets, a 1200-1300fps XTP 240gr expanding bullet is about perfect for accuracy and knock down power. You can shoot these all day long and feel great.

I sight my gun in 2" high with a 6 o'clock hold at 30 yards with a 240gr bullet. I like to see what I am hitting and it allows much more versatility in the longer shots. Of course this varies with different weight bullets. With 180-200gr bullets my sights are right over my 30 yard target. This being lighter bullets shoot lower than heavier bullets.

Quote:
Is your name Elmer?

Congrats on the shot.

Did you aim normally and just high or did you raise the front sight? Just curious.
Here is another crafty critter that fell to my S&W M17-3 a few weeks back. This was only a 30yard neck shot but the hyper velocity 22lR put him right down.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; December 9, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:35 AM   #33
Grant D

Great shot! I'm partial to handgun hunting myself.
My best was a eight point buck at one hundred yards, with a S&W Model 629 8 3/8" barrel with a 180 grain SJHP and a stainless Leupold 2x scope.
What did she weigh? she looks pretty large.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:03 AM   #34
Mystro

Big doe. About 175 lbs.

Old December 9, 2012, 12:04 PM   #35
DWFan

Awesome shot. Congrats.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:17 PM   #36
hardworker

On another note, how are your ears? That 44 has a bark
Old December 9, 2012, 02:02 PM   #37
Mystro

Here is a perspective picture I just took. The weather is much better in the pic than when I was hunting.

That's my big Polaris X2 ATV where the deer was standing.

Bottom left pic has a red arrow pointing to where I was sitting.

Last edited by Mystro; December 9, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old December 9, 2012, 02:08 PM   #38
22-rimfire

What holster are you using? Looks great.

I keep looking at the Diamond D's and thinking I'll buy one for one of my 41 mags that doesn't carry a scope.
Old December 9, 2012, 02:20 PM   #39
Ozzieman

With my eye sight if someone setting next to me told me to take that shot, I would have said, “What deer?”
I wouldn’t have hesitated if I had one of my 44 mag rifles, I know I can shoot that far.
Good shot sir, enjoy the bambi burgers, and once again the 44 shows its merit.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 9, 2012, 02:22 PM   #40
Mystro

I am chomping on venison baloney from a archery kill as I write this. I had a fresh tenderloin steak for lunch on the grill. My 5yr old son and 3yr old daughter love venison. When they see a deer, they say mmmm jerky

I am using a bandoleer holster I purchase from Sportsmansguide for $89.00. I have carried my 44 all season in some very rough country in this rig and it is so much nicer and more comfortable than carrying it on the hip. You can sit, lay back, etc. the gun is inside you coat so it is dry and out of the way. You don't even look like your carrying a gun the woods. The weight is distributed close to your body so no sore backs or legs on long days of deer drives.

I tweaked mine a little bit to fit better but its a great deal for what you get.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=148192

Last edited by Mystro; December 9, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old December 9, 2012, 02:39 PM   #41
manta49

Can you consistently hit the kill zone at 175yard.? If so good shooting. It wouldn't be a issue here because hunting with a handgun is illegal.
There is also a minimum caliber and muzzle energy allowed for hunting deer.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .236 inches, a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Advice given by the BASC - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

Although deer are comparatively large animals, the vital areas for clean kills are small. No one should consider stalking unless they can consistently shoot a group of three shots within a 10cm target at 100m.
Old December 9, 2012, 02:51 PM   #42
Mystro

No handgun hunting??? Even California lets you handgun hunt and that is saying alot. That's a shame. Your missing out on a great thrill, especially if your a Bowhunter and like a challenge when you pick up a gun to hunt with.
Quote:
It wouldn't be a issue here because hunting with a handgun is illegal.

Old December 9, 2012, 03:07 PM   #43
manta49

Quote:
missing out on a great thrill, especially if your a Bowhunter and like a challenge when you pick up a gun to hunt with.
Caint do that either. In almost every European country bowhunting is forbidden.
the UK law which applies to England, Northern Ireland Scotland and Wales.
Old December 9, 2012, 05:02 PM   #44
royal barnes

Msytro, I'm a little surprised that it took you until post #26 to tell some people nicely to kiss off. Nice shot. Practice and skill always show.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:12 PM   #45
Mystro

ROFL...Great, you made me spit my beer.

Oh no he di'int........

Old December 9, 2012, 06:28 PM   #46
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro
Big doe. About 175 lbs.
You talking live weight or field dressed? Even live, that would be a big, big doe.

I'm in Central NY and I hunt in a program on Cornell University owned property and the deer management is controlled by Cornell.

Every deer killed in the program has to be weighed. From 2008 through 2011, 226 doe have been killed in the program. The last I knew, which was after the 2011 season but not including the 2012 season, I had killed the heaviest doe in the program. She was HUGE. Far and away the biggest doe I've ever killed or even seen.

She weighed 149 pounds, field dressed.

Between myself and the other guys I hunt with, we have killed 9 or 10 doe. Only one other has been over 110 pounds and that one was 119, the average is almost exactly 100 pounds. These are adult, mature deer I'm counting, not fawns.

Last year, I shot the biggest buck I've ever killed:

He weighed...

149 pounds, field dressed.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:37 PM   #47
Jbar4Ranch

An excellent shot, indeed, congratulations!

Most folks don't realize a good revolver and load coupled with sufficient practice are fully capable of such long shots. I won a "long range" revolver side match a few years ago by putting 5 for 5 on a 12" square plate at 85 yards in under ten seconds with an 8 3/8" Interarms Virginian Dragoon .44 mag and reduced loads - stock iron sights, no scope.

I took this little 3x3 mulie a couple hundred yards from my house in 2006 with a Freedom Arms M555 .50AE topped with a 2x Leupold scope at a lased 145 yards.

The rest of the story is he was grazing directly away from me, so I laid down prone with the FA across a stump, and whistled. He didn't turn but looked over his shoulder toward me giving me nothing but a head shot. I had shot this revolver quite a bit out to 150 yards and felt confident I could do it. I squeezed the shot off and put a 350 grain cast WFNGC bullet up the right nostril.
I killed a cow elk the same season with a S&W .500 mag topped with a 4x Leupold and using the same bullet at about the same range as the OP - body shot though, not a head shot.

SASS 47015
Old December 9, 2012, 06:54 PM   #48
Mystro

Awesome shot. I much prefer a neck or head shot if I can take it.

Old December 9, 2012, 07:33 PM   #49
mete

One fact to consider is that handgun bullets have very low sectional density and ballistic coefficient .They slow down quickly and at 200 yds they are no longer "magnums" . The other factor is the bullet drop. These factors must be understood well to get a deer at long range . Lots of practice in silhouette matches it the way !
Try not to depend on luck.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:32 PM   #50
Mystro

Nice buck Brian.....The doe was 175lbs on the hoof. We have a very large breed of deer in the North Central part of Pa. It's freaky because some are normal size whitetail but some have their entire body proportions enlarged to Northern Canadian deer size.
My largest buck on my wall is a 9 point that dressed out at a honest measured 230lbs. Its neck measurement right under the chin is 25". An absolute hog. I have a picture on top of him removing the drag rope and I look like I am on top of a horse. I am 6' 2" 205lbs and I look small next to this deer. Out of my entire family with generations of deer hunting, no one has seen a bigger body and our local taxidermy has never seen a whitetail body this big in his 30yrs of practice. The doe I just shot was bigger than most nice bucks I have seen on my hill this year. Largest doe I have ever seen. You never know what size deer you will see on the Mt. and that's what makes it exciting.

Last edited by Mystro; December 9, 2012 at 08:55 PM.