The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 29, 2012, 10:34 AM   #26
CS86

Quote:
Verify you're not causing problems due to excessive flare, improper sizing, or insufficient/excessive crimp before you move to changing the OAL.
Would excessive flare or improper sizing cause the case to stick in the chamber instead of slide freely?

Do you guys trim 9mm cases. From what i've read it sounds rare to do it unless you are doing some competition shooting. It sounds like from load to load they pretty much stay within appropriate length.

Thanks for all the feedback I appreciate it.
Old February 29, 2012, 01:15 PM   #27
Hammerhead

Quote:
Would excessive flare or improper sizing cause the case to stick in the chamber instead of slide freely?
Yes. You need to make sure you have the absolute minimum flare needed to seat the bullet.

I never trim 9mm.
Old February 29, 2012, 04:26 PM   #28
m&p45acp10+1

A good way to set up your crimping/seating die is to use an unflared, resized case.

Note if they hang up on the feed ramp, it tends to mean they are too short. If the loaded rounds seem to not go into full batery, and/or are difficult to extract it tends to mean the flare has not been fully removed. In some cases with cast lead it can mean that they are too long, though that is usualy a rare occourance. More times than not it is that the flare has not been fully removed.

With semiauto brass you are not realy crimping. You are simply removing the flare, and slimming the case back down. If you run your finger nail down the bullet and it does not catch on the case mouth then your round is way over crimped. You should feel a light catch.
Old February 29, 2012, 09:57 PM   #29
primerman

I too have ran into the same problem with the Berry's 124g HP. I still have around 600 bullets left over. (Not sure that having 600 bullets is information) Yes, I had to go lower than the published data for overall length to get them to fit into my Walther PPS. I hope to find a gun some day that they will fit in.
Old March 12, 2012, 11:27 PM   #30
CS86

I thought I would keep this thread going and ask another question. I like to refer back to the ones I've created.

I was wondering how you guys test your pistols for accuracy? I ended up getting a cheaper laser that has reviews stating that it would hold up to recoil. I just don't think I am good enough yet with the open sites to feel confident enough to test for accuracy, so I thought a laser would be a good option. I haven't had a chance to use it, and figure I could always use the laser for a nightstand gun if it didn't work for testing. Any other thoughts for accuracy tests?
Old March 13, 2012, 04:41 AM   #31
scsov509

Quote:
I just don't think I am good enough yet with the open sites to feel confident enough to test for accuracy...
Then I'd say don't worry about it. Find a low-to-midrange load that works reliably in the weapon and then shoot lots until you're accurate enough that the load will make a difference. I'd say you shoot until you get to a point where you can group with a load consistently, then you start tinkering with the load to see if you can make it more accurate.