The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2010, 08:47 PM   #26
oldNewbie

Unburned powder

Unburned powder flakes spill from cases after firing. 38 Special, Unique powder, 3.3 grains with 158-gr. LSWC, by the book, CCI small pistol primers.

Any thoughts? Too light a load, insufficient crimp, burning rate too slow for the load, other?

Thx

oldNewbie
Old April 18, 2010, 09:29 PM   #27
oldNewbie

I'll answer my own question. The 3.3 grain load of Unique came from one reloading manual as a starting load, while another manual recommended a heavier starting load. For punching holes in paper, I've settled on 4.0 grains of Unique behind the 158-grain lead bullets I use, and now everything is much happier.
Old April 19, 2010, 06:53 AM   #28
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I'll agree with your assessment. I used to get a huge mess from HS-6 in .45 Colt with both light and heavy loads. When I moved it over to .40 S&W (and a much higher pressure) the left over unburned garbage disappeared. I have never had a problem with Unique leaving unburned powder in any caliber, but I always load it to the max. It seems that lower pressure loads will exacerbate this problem. When I downloaded 2400 in .45 Colt, as much as half the powder just came out unburned.