The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Crazy4nitro

Crimping Question

Hello,
First of all I'm new to reloading. A friend bought me a Lee classic reloading kit and I have loaded 20 rounds with perfect success. This same friend is also Moving at the time and Brought me his entire reloading set up for me to use. I bought a set of RCBS dies in .41 Magnum and I am having trouble getting the crimp to work. I have a 3 die set and I have read the RCBS instructions countless times. The instructions say to get the bullet set then raise the bullet seat then lower the die and run the case further into the die to crimp the case. I have done this and dont see any crimp at all. I have ran the case into the die until the case holder touches the die with no avail. Am I missing something?..
Thanks in advance for any help

Crazy4nitro
Old January 16, 2007, 12:10 PM   #2
Thirties

Nitro, I'm just guessing . . . if it is a taper die, you would not see it as you would a roll crimp. Have you tried hand fitting a bullet in the crimped shell? If it doesn't fit, the case maybe has been taper crimped.

By the way, a fourth crimp die is not a bad way to load. That way, you would keep your seating die body higher than the case mouth, using the seating stem only.
Old January 16, 2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Crazy4nitro

The Bullet can be pushed into the case with finger pressure after I complete the "crimping" procedure. I can push the bullet deeper into the case with finger pressure. I have a Bullet puller and the Bullet comes out with one light tap so I'm Confident it's not tight enough. I cannot run the case any deeper as my shellholder touches the die. Just some additional info for ya.

Crazy4nitro
Old January 16, 2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Crazy4nitro

Figured it out.

OK,I figured it out.
I was not using the Full length resizing die correctly. I ran 3 shells "Correctly" and then seated the Bullet to desired total length and when I lower the Die to allow the Crimp,it works perfect. Imagine That...LOL

I also learned on these forums that you can use the Shell holder in the Bullet puller. Works Great TY for such a great website,I'm Hooked

Crazy4nitro
Old April 20, 2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Crazy4nitro

Update

RCBS ended up replacing the Crimp Die. I sent them the Die set and they basically rebuilt the dies with new components. New Crimp Die.
They run Great now..

+1 RCBS

'Nitro