The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2008, 09:17 AM   #1
closetgunnut

Quinetics Corp. multi-caliber shell holder?

Morning!

I was searching the Net last night for shell holders and I happen upon these...

http://www.quineticscorp.com/Shell_holder.asp

Has anyone tried one of these? If so, what is your opinion of them? Do they slide on the ram like a regular SH? Hmm...

They also have a new kind of "Chuck" for hammer type bullet pullers.

I sent them some questions last night and I'm waiting for a reply.

Closet

"There's no drug test for stupid."
Old April 16, 2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

That's the same style of collet on the Quinetics bullet puller that's been around for a long time. They might call it "new", but it isn't. If they have fitted it to a standard dimension shell holder base, then it should be ok. I say only "ok", because it will not be the same as a dedicated shell holder. I wouldn't want to use one for more than a few reloadings of a particular case. I think you will have to loosen it and tighten it for each case inserted.

Personally, I think the best buy around is the Lee set of 11 shell holders. It costs about the same as 2 or 3 holders from other companies, but you're set for just about any size case you'll ever reload.

Quinetics items themselves are generally high quality. They are the single manufacturer for all of the hammer style bullet pullers. All they do is change the plastic color for the various resellers; green for RCBS, blue for Midway, etc.
Old April 16, 2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Sevens

I will have to second Mal's recommendation of the Lee set. I bought that set of 11 back when I was still only doing 2 calibers and wondered if I'd ever use any of them. Well, they are handy as hell to have around and almost every caliber is covered.

While I have no hands-on experience with this new multi you speak of, I would be very hesitant to use such a device. And I don't say that because I don't trust the quality of workmanship, but I do say that because I know the physical stress of a brass case (especially a lubed, bottle-neck rifle round) in a sizing die. If that shellholder fails, you've got real problems and a reloading bench that will NOT process ammo any more until you've rectified it.

I can't see ever putting myself in that position, especially given the price of the Lee 11-shellholder set.

FWIW, others have spoken of their preference for "better" brands of shellholders that are built to even tighter tolerances, allowing for a slightly deeper insertion of the brass in to a sizing die. This intrigues me, in the right way. What I'm saying is that I don't pretend to think that Lee is the best, and I'll bet a much more expensive Redding shell holder is a better piece of equipment and I'd be happy to try one at my bench. But because of my nature and the way I appropriate my very hard earned funds-- If I'm buying, I'm buying the Lee set of 11.

Also, I realize fully that my response doesn't address your query at all in any way, and I apologize for that. I just think it's relevant to the discussion. If you do buy this device, I'd love to read your opinions on it, but there are some parts of the bench that, IMO, not only don't need to be improved, but likely shouldn't. Just my take.
Old April 16, 2008, 10:53 AM   #4
closetgunnut

Thanks for the replies guys!!

I already have some Lee holders that I'm using right know. I'm only loading for the Garand and M1 Carbine for now. I the future, who knows.... . Just don't tell the wife that.

The reason that I asked/posted this is that I've been picking up a ton of brass at the range in a large range pistol and rifle calibers. I'm in the process of sorting the good from the bad and tumbling them. I want to decap with a Lee universal decapper but I don't have correct holders for some. If thing would work for the decapping it would save me a lot of time changing out holders. If I can sell/trade some of the brass it'll pay for itself.

I'm still interested in hearing if anyone has used these.

Closet

Old April 18, 2008, 12:57 PM   #5
closetgunnut

I ordered one of each...

Just to try them out. I'll put the shell holder to work when I get it and give a report on what kind of job it does.

I'll post some pics also, if I can remember how

Closet