The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 16, 2005, 05:37 PM   #1
farmall

What Wears Out?

I have fallen for a well used, but not badly abused, Remington Sportsman 16ga with Lyman compensator. What commonly wears out on these. I have shot a model 11 for trap for years without anything other than regular cleaning. The Sportsman is similar, but with some differences, mainly safety and forend. Are parts available?
Old July 16, 2005, 05:51 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

yes they are

You didn't specify which sportsmen model you have, but Numrich has the parts available most of the time. Is it a model 48 sportsmen? I know they have a good bit of those parts available. One thing about the model 48 is there aren't many bolts left for them. If you have headspace, you might have a problem fixing the gun to be shot. I would check to see if you have it before you fire the gun. Also, check and see if it has the bufer in the back of the reciever. If it was suppose to have and it isn't there, you can accidently fire the round off by pushing the barrel all the way back by hand. Make sure to not put the hand on the muzzle if you have to do this ever. I would check the carrier out and make sure it lifts the cartridge up all the way to go into the chamber as well as comes back down all the way. Also check the carrier latch and make sure the rounds feed correctly and don't dump a round out or jam. Good luck with the gun.
Old July 16, 2005, 10:57 PM   #3
farmall

Thanks, not model 48, just plain old Sportsman. Similar to model 11.
Old July 17, 2005, 02:17 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

everything still applies

There should be a model number that goes with it. Most likely you have a model 12 sportsmen. Numrich still has parts for several of the Sportsmen models. Like I said earlier, check to see if the buffer is in the back of the reciever no matter which gun you have. The other parts I mentioned would be the same no matter which model you have. I believe you have a recoil operated barrel. About the only difference in their guns was the move to the gas operation later and then you have a few parts that would be different. If it is recoil operated, check the recoil spring and make double sure that when you push the barrel all the way down without the fore end on the gun, that the recoil spring doesn't have any of the coils touching each other. This would cause battering of the gun during recoil and cause major problems for the gun.