The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 17, 2017, 02:03 AM   #1
davery25

Liquid sloshing sound inside buttstock

hi guys,

as per the title, while handling my Miroku mk10 (browning 525) today i could hear a liquid sloshing sound coming from the buttstock when the muzzle was tipped up and down. It did sound like a fair bit of liquid in there.

Up until today, i had been storing the shotgun muzzle up in the safe so am wondering if its possible oil has collected in the buttstock. I've had the gun since 2012 or so but have probably only cleaned the thing 10-15 times or so (the amount of times I've used it).

Any idea what this could be or if its a serious problem?

As a possible consolation the oil i use is Clenzoil which, according to the marketers at least, is good for wood.

I've stored it muzzle down now but now sure if that's going to help.
Old February 17, 2017, 03:29 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Tighten the screw(s).

Check again for "sloshing".

Then recheck for clothing rubbing your earmuffs.
Old February 17, 2017, 04:11 AM   #3
kozak6

Mercury recoil reducer?
Old February 17, 2017, 05:53 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

How much oil do you use when you clean your gun? I have a 525 Sporting that is in immaculate condition inside and out and probably hasn't seen over an ounce of oil total since the day I got it about ten or so years ago. You only should put a small drop on the moving points when you clean the gun. You never should use enough to run from where it's placed. Wipe the excess off if you have to. I think some of the other answers posted are more likely unless you're using a crazy amount of oil when you clean. Even then is shouldn't be sloshing around.
Old February 17, 2017, 05:59 AM   #5
Virginian

Probably water or a recoil reducer. I would definitely take it apart and get whatever it is out of it or at least make sure I knew what it was.
Old February 17, 2017, 07:48 AM   #6
jmr40

I can't imagine a wood stock retaining enough water or oil to be able to hear it sloshing around. It would simply be absorbed into the wood or leak out at either end depending on which direction it was stored. And the gun would have had to have been completely underwater for several minutes at some point for water to get inside.

A mercury recoil reducer is a real possibility or something else is going on. I doubt any type of liquid but I'd be taking the buttstock off yesterday to find out.

Winston Churchill
Old February 17, 2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Pahoo

My SWAG

Quote:
Mercury recoil reducer?
That would be my S.W.A.G. on this however, I am not familiar with this model. It's fairly easy to tell without taking it apart, just shake it real fast and see if you can feel the reaction of the mercury. ........

Be Safe !!!
Old February 17, 2017, 12:32 PM   #8
Virginian

I do not believe you need to do anything other than remove the buttplate to get at whatever it is. Could be some sort of homemade recoil reducer as I have seen those before.
Old February 17, 2017, 01:05 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

Like jmr40 says, a wood stock won't, um, hold any liquid. Any liquid would promptly soak into wood and turn it to mush.
Might be a homemade or commercial recoil dampener. Might be a bunch of shot in the butt stock screw hole put there for the same reason.
Like Virginian says, take off the butt plate and look.
Old February 17, 2017, 01:56 PM   #10
Slopemeno

I think your rifle is quart low....
Old February 17, 2017, 09:13 PM   #11
burrhead

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old February 18, 2017, 03:18 AM   #12
Scorch

The only way to find out if your buttstock is holding enough oil to slosh around is to fire up that chainsaw you got sitting in the corner of the garage . . .
Old February 18, 2017, 12:23 PM   #13
BigJimP

Does the sound get worse, when you hold the shotgun stationary....and you roll your head ...from side to side ..??

Gun oil sloshing inside the stock ...yes, you can over oil a shotgun and ruin a stock ...but getting enough in there so it sloshes when you move the gun back and forth ( no, there is no way ).

Take the recoil pad off ..and see what's going on in there../ and I would remove the stock as well from the receiver and check it as well.
Old February 18, 2017, 12:30 PM   #14
rightside

Apparently some of those liquid stock reducers just used oil for the dampening effect while other mercury reducers actually used real mercury. I'd wager that's what is in yours. Factory installed or after market. Didn't realize they made noise, but I never actually handled one.

http://mpcsports.com/candhmercuryrecoilreducers.aspx
Old February 18, 2017, 12:35 PM   #15
shootbrownelk

Is it a synthetic stock by chance?
Old February 18, 2017, 04:14 PM   #16
jmr40

I wouldn't be surprised to see some loose bird shot inside the hole drilled in the stock. Guys have been known to place lead shot in buttstocks to add weight and change the balance. It is usually placed in a container, but it may have opened at some point. The shot moving around could sound like water.

At any rate please come back and let us know what you find.

Winston Churchill
Old February 18, 2017, 11:26 PM   #17
HiBC

The old "Brandy flask in the buttstock" trick!
Old February 19, 2017, 11:13 AM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see some loose bird shot inside the hole drilled in the stock. Guys have been known to place lead shot in buttstocks to add weight and change the balance. It is usually placed in a container, but it may have opened at some point. The shot moving around could sound like water.
I would think loose shot would sound more like a baby rattle than liquid "sloshing"; but we'll all be guessing until the OP comes back and fills us in!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 19, 2017, 11:43 AM   #19
Ricklin

Naaah

Impossible is a strong word, but I shall use it. Impossible there is enough oil in there from oiling the gun. Take that buttplate off and let us know. I'm leaning toward shot.
Old February 21, 2017, 04:41 PM   #20
davery25

Thanks for the responses guys. I haven't managed to get the stock or buttplate off as yet but will do tonight or over the weekend. The gun has had a fair amount of work done to it (forcing cones, trigger, adj comb) so it's very possibly something it's previous owner did.

I've never noticed the sound before however so perhaps somethings come loose.
Old February 22, 2017, 01:53 PM   #21
FITASC

"Rattling" is something loose. "Sloshing" is altogether different.

Post some pics, but if the previous owner did all that, sounds like he set it up as a target gun, so some form of recoil reducer in the stock seems more and more plausible.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 22, 2017, 05:59 PM   #22
Model12Win

It could be you found a hidden flask of the Blood of Christ. Unlikely, but certainly possible.
Old February 22, 2017, 07:43 PM   #23
Blindstitch

Does it have Damascus barrels?
Old February 22, 2017, 07:52 PM   #24
PACraftsman

Could it be an improperly tuned Flux Capacitor ???
Old March 7, 2017, 03:36 AM   #25
NHSHOOTER

So, what was it????