The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2017, 03:33 PM   #1
tpcollins

How much cast off done to your stock?

Just wondering how much cast off you've had done to your stock. I would think a stock made with cast off built into it would be easier than steam bending a factory stock any considerable amount of distance. Thanks.
Old January 18, 2017, 03:40 PM   #2
FITASC

Being LH, I go for cast on. That said, what gun are you talking about? Brands like Beretta and Benelli, among others, utilize shims to change the cast and drop.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 18, 2017, 04:36 PM   #3
tpcollins

Nothing in particular - actually I would think most any firearm would benefit from shifting the point of contact on the should to align down the bore or even a scope.
Old January 18, 2017, 04:40 PM   #4
FITASC

Absolutely! Getting a proper fitting will include cast among other measurements including LOP, pitch, toe in or out, drop at comb, drop at heel, thickness of the comb, etc.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 18, 2017, 06:13 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Stock makers do not use steam, they use hot oil and heat lamps.

To find out what you need requires a fitting session. Since you are in Michigan, try Fieldsport in Traverse City. A fitting will take about four hours at the range.
In the end you will have a piece of paper with figures for the stock maker.

Please note Fieldsport use's try guns where the stock can be altered and then you shoot at targets.
Old January 18, 2017, 06:42 PM   #6
dreaming

Is no one going to address the points raised by the OP. The first being how much cast did you have done to your stock and the second seeming to be why wouldn't you have cast built into the stock as manufactured instead of later having the stock bent.

As to the first, while I didn't have my stock bent I had an adjustable comb cut and moved the comb over to add 5/16" cast off.

A poor man like myself is not likely to have it done, but some have guns built to fit and others have original stocks replaced with stocks made to fit. Usually from a selected block of beautiful wood.
Old January 18, 2017, 07:04 PM   #7
BigJimP

Its my opinion that gun mfg's should strive to make stocks on their entry level guns ( like most pump guns ) to be cast neutral. Its better for right handed and left handed shooters if its cast neutral ( and in general, guns like Browning's Hunter model pump gun...are cast neutral )...although I have seen a few stocks on a Browning BPS that had a little bit of cast..( not many, just a few ).

For experienced shooters...we should know what stock dimensions specifically fit us ...length of pull, drop at heel, drop at comb or a parallel comb...or do we want or need a parallel adj comb.../ so we can select the right gun for ourselves....but a lot of shooters are not that experienced.../ so again, I think cast neutral is the best option.

Any wood stocked gun ...can have an adjustable comb cut into the stock..but if its still a standard angled comb, I think that's a poor idea / but it may work for some for height and cast on or off if they pick the right comb or the right gunsmith to do the work.

Some guns do come with shims / like some of the Benelli pump guns ...and there are some aftermarket stocks available ( especially for popular guns like the 870 pumps ...) Jack West and others make some that will convert the 870 to a parallel adj comb...so there are ways to fix a "standard pump gun"...

but I would still like to see mfg's make their guns cast neutral.
( I'm right handed...and all of my shotguns need to be cast neutral -- to fit me ). And a standard "field stock" with an angled comb ...does not fit me hardly at all..especially from season to season where I go from layers of coats in winter - to a T shirt in summer ..so I need a shotgun with a parallel adj comb.
Old January 19, 2017, 02:31 PM   #8
tpcollins

[QUOTE]Is no one going to address the points raised by the OP. The first being how much cast did you have done to your stock and the second seeming to be why wouldn't you have cast built into the stock as manufactured instead of later having the stock bent.

As to the first, while I didn't have my stock bent I had an adjustable comb cut and moved the comb over to add 5/16" cast off.

A poor man like myself is not likely to have it done, but some have guns built to fit and others have original stocks replaced with stocks made to fit. Usually from a selected block of beautiful wood./QUOTE]

Thanks dreaming. Actually this would not be for a shotgun - basically for a different weapon. I have wet macula edema in my right shooters eye and may have to switch to shooting everything left handed. For whatever reason, while practicing left handed, my neck doesn't bend to the left as well as it does to the right - even though I'm left eye dominant.

However, if I can simulate cast off by modifying and/or shifting the butt pad placement on the stock an 1" or so on my shoulder, I should be able to bring the center of the scope and bore easier inline to my eye without cranking my neck.