The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2015, 02:54 PM   #1
Rangerrich99

7 mm mag: Your Top 3 Dies

Okay, here's the deal: I started reloading about six months ago and I've never loaded 7 mm mag before, in fact, as far as rifle handloading, I only have experience with .223. In that caliber I've reloaded about 1,000 rounds. All but one of those rounds went downrange without mishap (that one simply failed to ignite). So that is my current level of experience as far as rifle calibers.

Also, the only brand of dies that I have experience with to date are Hornady New Dimension Dies. So far I like them, but I'm not married to them.

I've tried to do some research on reloading 7 mm Mag, and several times I've come across an issue with 'vent holes' in dies; how some have them and some don't, and how this affects the reloading process. Now, I don't want to start a new thread on that subject, but I'm getting swamped at work and at home, and I flat out just don't have the time to due my normal due diligence. And I need to have a test recipes completed before the end of July.

So, Here's my question: to those that have experience reloading this caliber please give me your top three choices for dies. OR, give me a short list of dies that you would NEVER use to reload this caliber. Either list should be helpful to me.

These rounds ultimately will be used for hunting, most likely elk. Maximum expected range would be around 600 yards. Bullet weight(s): 162, and maybe 180.

In a later thread I'm going to ask about tips, things to watch out for, etc. Right now I just need some feedback on the dies.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; June 30, 2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old June 30, 2015, 03:23 PM   #2
F. Guffey

I have RCBS 7mm Remington Mag dies, I also Have Hornady and Lyman, I have never used the Hornady, I have never used they Lyman. I have sized many 7mm Remington mag cases. Like other belted cases when the case starts getting difficult to fit into the shell holder it is time to start measuring the case ahead of the belt and at the extractor groove.

F. Guffey
Old June 30, 2015, 03:33 PM   #3
kerreckt

I have a set of Lee and one of Redding in7mm/Rem mag. I thought I liked the Redding better. The the other day I set up a 7mm FL sizer die. After about a dozen cases, I thought to myself, that the die was doing a nice job, felt good, they chambered nice, all that stuff. All the time I thought it was the Redding die until changing to .308. I then then realized it was the Lee die. So, after that long winded story. I guess I like the the same. By the way, I use a Forster Ultra Micro seater for everything (.223,.243, 7mm/Rem mag, .308, 30-06) but 30-30.
Old June 30, 2015, 06:56 PM   #4
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I handload ~ 65 cartridges, and I consider 7mmRM my best for big game.
I have shot a lot of 7mm bullets, but my current favorite is 140 gr Nos Ballistic tip that I coat with moly. My favorite powder is H4350 and I am running at 3400 fps. I seat at 3.34", even though the SAAMI max is 3.29". I am running 75,000 psi, even though the SAAMI registered max average is 61,000 psi.

The 7mmRM brass has a different reaction to different levels of pressure:
1) wimpy published loads that are not as fast as I can get from 7mm Mauser with long brass life. This leaves the brass in great shape and with a little shoulder bump, the brass is interchangeable between different rifles.
2) Loads hot enough will swell the case just in front of the belt. These may then not fit in a different rifle even after FL sizing. The chamfer at the bottom of the sizing die and the top on the shell holder get in the way of sizing the part of the case. This can be fixed with Innovative Technologies belted magnum die.
3) Even hotter loads cannot be made to fit other rifles even with the Innovative Technologies dies.
4) Even hotter loads can make the extractor groove grow 0.001" somewhere when the calipers are turned all around the case. It does not take many of these loads before the primer seems too easy to insert.
5) Even hotter loads can make the next seating of the primer too easy. The brass is no good after one shot.
6) Even hotter loads can make the primer fall out of the primer pocket in one firing. The brass is no good after one shot.
7) Even hotter loads can make the primer pocket grow much bigger in one firing. The brass is no good. The case is hard to get out. The bolt lugs or the abutments in the receiver may have some plastic deformation.

After a while, and reaching my own organizational limit of keeping brass separate to one of my many 7mmRM rifles, I have settled on loads 2 grains lower that level #4 and I only shoot the brass once. I bought myself a lifetime supply of once fired 7mmRemMag brass from some testing outfit in St Marks FL. I could re use that brass, and it would have long brass life at that rate. But I would have to measure it and decide which rifle it belongs with... but I will never live that long.

To get that brass loaded I use:
1) Lee Collet Neck die
2) Bonanza FL die with 0.307" neck
3) Forster sliding sleeve seater die.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 30, 2015, 08:14 PM   #5
Savage99

What 7mm magnum do you have in what rifle?

I have been handloading since 1953 and have loaded belted magnums for a very long time including my 7mm magnums.

The belted magnums with shoulders need more care in setting the shoulder setback with the FL die.

The RCBS dies have an air bleed hole which I like in my dies. The redding dies do not have one!
Old July 1, 2015, 05:24 AM   #6
Brotherbadger

For 7mm rem mag, I'd go with Redding, Hornady and RCBS.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old July 1, 2015, 06:09 AM   #7
TimSr

Mine are RCBS. I really doubt you'll have a problem with any of the big name stuff.
Old July 1, 2015, 07:30 AM   #8
Jimro

You can get good results from dies from any manufacturer. I have a lot of Lee RGB dies because they were cheaper to buy than anything else. I still handload sub MOA ammunition from them, in calibers ranging from 223 Rem to 300 Win Mag.

So I recommend Lee RGB, if you decide you don't like them you can always pay more for something else later, but in my experience they are a great way to get started.

Jimro
Old July 1, 2015, 08:41 AM   #9
AllenJ

I've been using RCBS dies for 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag for years and have not had any problems.
Old July 1, 2015, 02:52 PM   #10
GeauxTide

Hornady here.
Old July 2, 2015, 10:02 AM   #11
CowTowner

7mm WSM - RCBS dies here.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 2, 2015, 12:27 PM   #12
Clark

Quote:
Jimro You can get good results from dies from any manufacturer. I have a lot of Lee RGB dies because they were cheaper to buy than anything else. I still handload sub MOA ammunition from them, in calibers ranging from 223 Rem to 300 Win Mag.
Yeah but, I use my 7mm dies more than Paul Allen uses his $200M yacht.
Taking the ratio of our net worths, I can afford the luxury of Forster 7mm dies.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 2, 2015, 03:29 PM   #13
hooligan1

Only Forster benchrest full length sizing die and Benchrest seater for my 7mm rem mag needs. I'm too chicken to load like Clark can....just cant do it.
Old July 2, 2015, 06:05 PM   #14
Rangerrich99

Sorry, been busy, and I flat didn't see the question about what rifle until today.

It's a Savage 110.
Old July 2, 2015, 08:39 PM   #15
rogn

dies

Ive been reloading for over55 years and have used dies by almost all manufacturers, as well as some custom dies. I can only recall about 25 0r 30 cartridges at this point. A few really don't exist anymore. Some of the die manufacturers are no longer in operation. At this time, Id have to say the dies being produced now are quite a bit better than they were 50 yr ago. Currently I use more Lee dies than any other, the quality is mostly very good and some designs are are outstanding, especially the collet dies. In general Redding dies are the finest finished and the prettiest, i don't think in most cases they are not superior. I find most of the other brands workman like and functional and capable of reloading quality ammunition, if the operator is up to the task. Also, I find I have to "tune" most any brand of die so its performance is satisfactory to me.
Old July 3, 2015, 08:34 PM   #16
FITASC

RCBS and Redding, especially for a neck-sizer die.

Personally, on elk, I would not think of 600 yards as an effective range.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 4, 2015, 10:20 AM   #17
Jimro

Quote:
Yeah but, I use my 7mm dies more than Paul Allen uses his $200M yacht.
Taking the ratio of our net worths, I can afford the luxury of Forster 7mm dies.
I can't argue with the luxury case. A Rolex won't keep time as well as even a cheap Seiko solar quartz watch, but it is luxury.

Jimro