The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 17, 2011, 09:34 PM   #1
catzor

Wanting to get into action shooting...

I took my ccw course today and I did very well with the shooting portion. I've shot for many years growing up (21 now) but never too formally and never at an indoor range. I loved the timed, semi-stressful, semi-competitive aspect of it and I would love to do something a little more intense. Now, I don't think I'm an exceptional shot by any means and don't imagine myself winning any matches any time soon, so I don't want to spend a bunch of cash I don't have on a "race" gun. What would brand of competition would be good for a beginner who wants to compete with pretty standard gear (I have a p95 now, but I'd ideally love to be shooting a service-sized, all-steel 9mm or even an entry 1911, nothing more fancy than that)? Looks like the service pistol division of IDPA might be nice, but that's only after very limited searching. I'm in western/central NC, FWIW.
Old April 17, 2011, 09:49 PM   #2
mavracer

I'd suggest IDPA your p95 would be ok to start a uncle mikes or fobus kydex holster and double mag pouch. You need 3 mags min 4 would be better. Just show up with that and they'll be very helpful getting you started.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old April 18, 2011, 01:04 AM   #3
MrBorland

You're fortunate to be in a great are for action shooting. There are plenty of IDPA matches in the area, and with its emphasis on standard gear, would be a good way to start.

There are IDPA top-notch outdoor matches at The Range, and Caswell Ranch. PDHSC is an indoor range that hosts monthly IDPA matches, and the Durham Wildlife Club holds IDPA matches every Tuesday evening. The matches at DWC and Caswell are particularly good for the new shooter, IMO.

You might want to consider USPSA as well. More "freestyle" than IDPA, and higher round count. Sir Walter Raleigh Gun Club hosts an excellent USPSA match monthly.

Finally, there are also some "fun" matches that aren't beholding to strict IDPA or USPSA formats, and are more "run watcha brung". The Range has one monthly. Another was recently started by a local shooter and is becoming popular quickly.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:47 AM   #4
MrWesson

USPSA and IDPA is getting pretty big. It seems I could shoot 4 a week if I wanted.

You need plenty of magazines,(4 should do it but 5 wouldnt hurt)mag holder(try to get a 4 mag holder for production),fobus style holster.

I know you said you have been shooting for awhile but I would practice my reloading at home with snap caps first not for speed but to make sure you don't break the 180 rule. Also be prepared to be humbled and take advice.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:31 AM   #5
kraigwy

The club I shoot with has "action shoots" every other Sunday, a varity, Steel, ICORE, Multi-Gun, bowling pins, etc etc. They are all fun to shoot. They allow one to enter more then once, by paying an extra $3 for an extra gun.

I like to shoot all of them, they are all fun and educational. I often pay to shoot an extra gun, using my 642 pocket revolver, drawing from the pocket and loading loose rounds. It's a bit slower then using my M-64 w/speed loaders (ICORE) or 18 rounds from my Beretta in steel matches, or bowling pins with my Gold Cup, but I get good training and practice with my CC revolver.

My days of being competitive are long gone, I just don't care anymore, I shoot for fun, and I only shoot against myself.

They are all fun, the only bad match is NO MATCH.

Regardless of what you shoot, three things are going to happen,

1: You're gonna learn something
2: You're gonna have fun
3: You're going to meet some great (like minded) people
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 18, 2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Japle

You can shoot your gun & holster combo in the IDPA class in Steel Challenge.

SC matches, in my experience, let you get in more shooting than IDPA in the same amount of time and the matches go faster because there's no target pasting, no scoring rings on the targets and no walk-through for each stage.
Plus there's the wonderful instant feedback when you hit the target, paint flies and you hear the target ring.
Or you miss and dirt flies.

You'll never be a fast as Doug Koenig (see below) but you'll have just as much fun.

Old April 18, 2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Don P

Quote:
I'd suggest IDPA your p95 would be ok to start a uncle mikes or fobus kydex holster and double mag pouch. You need 3 mags min 4 would be better. Just show up with that and they'll be very helpful getting you started.
Good solid sound advise. Simple, short money, and its all you need. Try it once and you'll be hooked. Dam addicting it is. All I'll add is bring roughly 150 rounds. Probably only will use 90-110 but the extra can't hurt.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 19, 2011, 09:36 AM   #8
MrBorland

Japle mentioned Steel Challenge. I'm not aware of any CF SC matches in the area, but Caswell holds a monthly rimfire steel challenge match. Great fun, but very challenging. You only need a .22 and a box or 2 of ammo. Shooter starts at the "ready" position, so a holster isn't even needed (2 extra mags are a good idea, though). It's a very affordable way to start competing, and it helps speed, accuracy and transitions, which translate to IDPA, USPSA, etc.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Jesse Tischauser

If you like shooting they are all good. It's almost certain that you will fall inive with the sports and that you will tailor your firearms to the sports. Just get out a give it a try ASAP. A young guy like you can be very good very quickly.