The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 30, 2005, 11:40 PM   #1
chris in va

Well that was interesting...

99.999% sure it meant nothing, just a little...weird.

I just moved out to a low crime area in VA in a quiet, older neighborhood. My cell rings, had to walk outside in the dark to get a signal. Talking with my friend on the phone, someone rolls up in my court in an Acura with bling 20's driving slow, stopping in front of the house.

Obviously he was looking for an address or something, but the out-of-place car driving REAL slow put up a caution flag...

I handed the phone to my roommate who was outside smoking, and we gradually found a little cover next to the house. My CZ was on me as usual.

The guy(s) pulled in to a house 3 doors down and parked, but it still gave me a little adrenalin nudge.
Old June 30, 2005, 11:52 PM   #2
joab

I don't know that the car is out of place anymore.

I live in what I like to call my hillbilly hick town.
Last week I saw a car like that with the boom blasting.

The driver had a Realtree hat on and was spitting tobacco juice out the window.

MTV has made the world real small and real weird
Old July 1, 2005, 12:06 AM   #3
Twycross

I wouldn't think much of it. So a guy from out of town is coming to stay the weekend with grandma. Big deal. See if it is still there in the morning.

Last edited by Twycross; July 1, 2005 at 12:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old July 1, 2005, 12:33 AM   #4
NSO_w/_SIG

JOAB, I call that the power of the P..... force. The dude loves hunting, fishing, chewing and guzzeling beers but they listen to that music because that is what the hot girls at school like.

If it wasn't for that, there is no way someone could actually like that music while enjoying such things as hunting..... is there? I can't see it anyway.
Old July 1, 2005, 12:59 AM   #5
bclark1

what ever do you mean? don't you ever get gangsta on some whitetail? i drop them out of season with all 14 shots (only 3-4 actually hit, even when i sneak up on them and it's a contact shot) and then scream at their carcasses for not reppin' my dawgs when they roll through my woods.

no not really. i'm thankful to say all my country buddies remain country.
Old July 1, 2005, 01:10 AM   #6
NSO_w/_SIG

Quote:
what ever do you mean? don't you ever get gangsta on some whitetail? i drop them out of season with all 14 shots (only 3-4 actually hit, even when i sneak up on them and it's a contact shot) and then scream at their carcasses for not reppin' my dawgs when they roll through my woods.

no not really. i'm thankful to say all my country buddies remain country.
Me too
Old July 1, 2005, 01:12 AM   #7
Wraith

"i drop them out of season with all 14 shots"

Classic.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old July 1, 2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Apple a Day

I think you may have run across one of the nuicance species here in suburban Virginia... the wannabee, not to be confused with the Australian wallabee. I am shocked you haven't seen them before.
I am pushing to have them added to the list of official nuicance species, along with the feral hog, rock dove, nutria, coyote, and Norway rat so they can be hunted all year long in the Commonwealth.
Cheers,
Apple
Old July 1, 2005, 07:57 AM   #9
big daddy 9mm

well....

better safe than sorry
Old July 1, 2005, 07:57 AM   #10
dev_null

Yep, LOTS of suburban wannabes.

SUV, SUV, minivan, SUV, minivan, Acura with system and lots of stickers, minivan, SUV, minivan...
Old July 1, 2005, 08:46 AM   #11
gfen

I'm from an area of PA with a high Puerto Rican community, I think alot of them are moving up from Philly and down from NYC. 15 years ago, I used to fish and goto the public range on a regular basis, and the vast majority of the people I'd see at both locations were your stereotypical white outdoorsman.

Nowadays, after a long absence, I'm doing both these things again. I see more of the Hispanics down at the local creek fishing in their sharp clothes with only the addition of a vest, or at the range zeroing in their inline BP rifles.

Its a big change from what it used to be, and you know.. I think its pretty nice that these folks can get out and enjoy nature like anyone else, even if they do sometimes roll up to the range in their Escaladesc or the bling around their neck is shinier than the lures they toss into the creek.

Who cares? Its another person out enjoying nature, and after moving out of their cities, they have a chance to finally do these things.
Old July 1, 2005, 10:03 AM   #12
Limeyfellow

The only real time I grew concerned with such a thing was when they stopped next door at my mother in law's house after driving past it slowly, cutting the engine or light and just sitting there for 5 minutes looking at the house. That is very unusual for where I live down a dead end that sees little traffic at all, but a good digital camera photo and they soon drove off when they saw the shotgun. The only reason for the concern was other houses in the area have been being targetted, including my other next door neighbours (even if we all know who did it and it looked a tad like his car).

If you go too far you just get yourself all paranoid.
Old July 1, 2005, 10:20 AM   #13
westphoenix

Just curious how you guys see this.
If you listen to rap and are not a gansta, are you a wanna be?
If yes then;
If you watch a movie about a murderer or rapist does that mean you want to be a murdered or rapist?
I listen to many different kinds of music, its entertainment, I think its funny how some people try to put others down because of their preference in style or entertainment.
Now if you dress like a gangsta, talk like a gangsta, act like a gansta, but you're afraid to do gansta [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], then you are a wanna be.
Old July 1, 2005, 08:25 PM   #14
turbodohc20

One thing I have learned...

Never judge a book by its cover
Old July 1, 2005, 08:36 PM   #15
QuickTrig

If you stereotype, and it was nothing, then your stereotypical....

If you dont, and it was something, your dead....

Priorities are a b**** ya know??
Old July 1, 2005, 10:54 PM   #16
Kamicosmos

Quote:
I just moved...
Quote:
someone rolls up in my court in an Acura with bling 20's driving slow, stopping in front of the house.
Uh...maybe your new neighbor was checking you out, wondering what you're doing outside Ol' Bob's house on your cell phone at night?

Ever think maybe you're the one that's out of place?

a little bit sarcastic, but seriously, you did just move in...

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old July 2, 2005, 12:36 AM   #17
chris in va

Definitely possible. Like I said, I was entirely sure nothing was going on, but...you know.

Ya gotta understand though, this neighborhood is full of older people and...confederate flagged pickup trucks.
Old July 2, 2005, 02:51 AM   #18
Heist

Quote:
and then scream at their carcasses for not reppin' my dawgs when they roll through my woods.
Bwahahhaha!
Old July 2, 2005, 07:23 AM   #19
Mongo the Mutterer

You did the right thing man. Hey "profiling"? Who cares. I grew up in almost every neighborhood in STL, and I always check my six. I forgot about a month ago, was waiting to order a burger at a drive through, and a bum (yep bum, not "economically challenged") came up right to my door post without me seeing him to ask me for a handout.

Still cleaning the driver's seat.