The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 24, 2021, 03:30 PM   #1
ligonierbill

Single Shot Hunters

Muzzleloaders aside (different game), does anyone here hunt with a single shot rifle in a "modern" caliber? I see some interesting rounds in 1885 reproductions, but mostly I'm thinking of the Ruger No. 1. I have the rifle (2 actually) but I have never taken them hunting. It would be interesting to hear some actual experiences from the forum.

There are videos of people hunting cape buffalo, including Craig Boddington. But I have also seen guides in the western US who will not allow single shots for their clients.
Old March 24, 2021, 04:10 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

I own a couple of single shot rifles, Low Wall, High Wall, and TC Encore. I use “modern” and “older” cartridges in both. For the record, I’ve shot a lot of deer over the last sixty+ years of deer hunting and even with bolt guns I’ve very rarely ever used a second shot that I couldn’t have put in the gun just as fast with a single shot. I don’t consider a single shot a disadvantage. For sheer speed at dangerous game there is nothing that’s going to beat a double rifle.
Old March 24, 2021, 06:59 PM   #3
Crankylove

I hunt with a Browning 1885 Highwall in .30-06, and an H&R single shot in .30-30, in addition to my bolt actions and semi-autos.

I’ve never felt myself at a disadvantage using a single shot vs. a repeater. One in the chamber, 4 spare rounds in the sling. I haven’t needed a follow up shot for the animals I’ve taken with my single shots, but, with a little practice, you can get pretty quick at reloading.
Old March 24, 2021, 08:45 PM   #4
Blindstitch

I don't hunt with a single but I've only needed one follow up shot on a deer and I had more than enough time to single load it if I had to.

As long as muzzleloaders are mentioned I have several relatives that have used them for years in limited rifle areas to get the ballistics they wanted outside of Pistol caliber cartridges. Since the laws changed they upgraded to bolt actions in 450 bushmaster.
Old March 25, 2021, 12:51 AM   #5
stinkeypete

I took a couple deer with a T/C carbine in 30-30. I used a 150 grain Nosler plastic tipped bullet and the performance was outstanding. I mean outstanding. Big does went right down. Reloading is really pretty quick, I hold the next round in between my left hand fingers.

Modern bullets make all the difference.
Old March 25, 2021, 01:00 AM   #6
Bud Helms

I've been hunting whitetail and wild hogs in Georgia for +30 years with single shot rifles: an H&R .30-30 Ackley Improved, a Wickliffe in .38-55 and an H&R in .357 Herrett (Long).

Never needed more than one shot, but ... I try to not take long or risky shots hunting. I consider the H&R a workhorse single shot rifle ... not very elegant but it sure works. The .30-30 AI was bought as a Handi Rifle in plain .30-30 with a 20 GA shotgun barrel, all can be transported broken down in a folding cordura carry pack.

The Wickliffe is my Buffalo Stakes competition rifle with a Baer (sp?) air-gauged barrel. 'Hunted with it once ... too heavy to tote through the woods. So it got one whitetail to it's credit then back to the range for weekend fun.

Last edited by Bud Helms; March 25, 2021 at 01:40 AM.
Old March 25, 2021, 07:29 AM   #7
eastbank

i shot three deer last year. a buck with my ruger #3 in 45-70, two doe, one with a tc encore in 45-70 and the third with tc G2 in 375 JDJ. one shot each, no handycap at all.
Old March 25, 2021, 09:02 AM   #8
FITASC

I used to hunt with a Ruger No 1 RSI in 243; great for antelope
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 25, 2021, 12:47 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

Always wanted to hunt griz with a single shot .45-70. Poverty waylaid that plan.
You can load .45-70 to near .458 Win level for use in a Ruger #1.
Thought about a Kodiak double rifle in .30-06 when they were still marketed by Remington. Poverty did that one in too. That and they weren't on the market long.
Old March 25, 2021, 02:39 PM   #10
ligonierbill

Why Mr. O'Heir, I am shocked that a good citizen of the Commonwealth would consider the 45-70 Government (US government) over the Empire's own 450/400 Nitro Express, which can also be had in a Ruger #1.

My apologies for not mentioning the Handi Rifle and its like. A few years ago, my brother shot a big doe with one in 44 Magnum. Sure put a big hole clear through that deer. It was an accurate piece, too.
Old March 25, 2021, 05:40 PM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligonierbill View Post
Muzzleloaders aside (different game), does anyone here hunt with a single shot rifle in a "modern" caliber? I see some interesting rounds in 1885 reproductions, but mostly I'm thinking of the Ruger No. 1. I have the rifle (2 actually) but I have never taken them hunting. It would be interesting to hear some actual experiences from the forum.

There are videos of people hunting cape buffalo, including Craig Boddington. But I have also seen guides in the western US who will not allow single shots for their clients.
I have taken many deer (lost count, so don't know exactly) with a Browning B78 High Wall in 6MM Remington. I also shot one six point with a Ruger #3 in .375 Winchester using a heavy cast lead bullet.

I used a Hornady 87 grain varmint bullet (no Cannelure) on those deer and performed excellently. I cannot evaluate the performance of the cast bullet in the .375 inasmuch as I did not want any meat damage, so I did a head shot and of course it dropped in its tracks.
Old March 25, 2021, 07:10 PM   #12
Piranha451

My go to hunting rifle is a Ruger No. 1-A in 7x57mm Mauser. I really enjoy this rifle!
Old March 25, 2021, 10:09 PM   #13
ammo.crafter

single shot hunter

My T/C Contender in 7x30 Waters has been my go hog gun for many, many years.
Accurate, enough power for one shot kills.
Took a 270 pound hog with a single shot as it was running from right to left going away from me.

Also use a 357 Maximum in a T/C single shot pistol for many hunts with great success.

It takes lots of practice.
Old March 26, 2021, 04:16 AM   #14
Hawg

I've hunted with an 1884 Trapdoor Springfield but I'm curious as to why you consider muzzle loaders a different game?
Old March 26, 2021, 06:16 AM   #15
ligonierbill

This is an "all things equal" question. Everyone in camp is packing some sort of repeater in a popular big game caliber, and you show up with, say, a Ruger #1 in 308.

I like muzzleloaders, but even if you are well trained and loading a minie ball from a paper cartridge, it's slower. And you have to stand up. Most folks using muzzleloaders are driven by regulations (special season, restrictions) or the desire to relive another time. Maybe get into a trophy record book.
Old March 26, 2021, 10:52 AM   #16
Kreyzhorse

I hunt with a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70. Fantastic gun, just make your first shot count, as you always should, and have a spare cartridge within easy reach if you do need a fast follow up.
Old March 28, 2021, 03:09 PM   #17
Jack O'Conner

I've downed many game animals with my CVA muzzle-loader which is certainly a single shot. But doesn't seem like a handicap to me. Accuracy is amazing and those 50 caliber Power Belt bullets hit very hard yet recoil is moderate.

Previously I hunted within restricted zones with a 12 gauge slug gun. But vicious recoil discouraged me so that's why I chose the muzzle-loader.

Jack
Old March 29, 2021, 07:51 AM   #18
Doyle

Encore in .35 Whelen. MS is unusual in that our "primitive weapons" season allows you to use single-shot, external hammer, break open modern firearms of .35 and larger. Therefore, the caliber of choice for many MS hunters during that season is the .35 Whelen. Never needed a follow-up shot.
Old March 29, 2021, 10:06 AM   #19
drive_sideways

I took my first deer with a single shot h&r pardner youth in 243 my dad got me when I was a kid as I am left handed. One shot at 60 yards, directly in the shoulder. Bullet exited through the other leaving a devastating exit wound, took out the heart and both lungs. 120 lb doe (field dressed) went 20 feet, if that... now I hunt with an AR in .350 legend. Although I’ve been looking at Henry’s single shot rifles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 29, 2021, 01:12 PM   #20
thegatman

I hunt with a single shot 45/70. Never any problems, quick reloads and I can tailor the load to the rifle without worrying about semi-auto malfunctions. CVA Hunter. Great rifle.
Old March 29, 2021, 10:08 PM   #21
old roper

I tag my first bull (Co) 1977 used Ruger #1 7 mag. I had it rebarreled to 30-338 mag. It's been good above timberline bull elk rifle and should find out soon if I draw bull elk tag.
NRA Life Member
Old March 30, 2021, 11:33 AM   #22
Coppershot

I hunt a little with a Ruger # 1B standard in 25-06. I do not hunt open country much but when I do I'll take this rifle. I bought it new round about 1993.
Old April 5, 2021, 03:37 PM   #23
jackstrawIII

I've hunted deer with a single shot. But, I gravitated back towards bolt actions.

I've only had to shoot 1 deer more than once in my life... but I'm glad I had a bolt action when that incident occurred. Much easier to just work the action than to find a second round in my pocket somewhere and try to feed it into the gun with frozen fingers.
Old April 6, 2021, 05:10 PM   #24
Ruger4Life

All my rifles are single shot. I have two CVA Wolf .50 ML’s (break-action with breech plug). They will throw a 270gr .44 Speer Deep Curl in a sabot at 1700fps. Hits like a hammer and is extremely accurate.
The other two big-bores are CVA SCOUT takedown 45-70’s. These are also tack-drivers, and will push a 405gr hard cast at 1400fps. These rifles have muzzle breaks, which tames the recoil considerably. I highly recommend the newer CVA lines of single shots; quality rifles at an affordable price...well, after the Covid thing, they have gone up, unfortunately

Last edited by Ruger4Life; April 6, 2021 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Add
Old April 6, 2021, 05:12 PM   #25
drive_sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegatman View Post
I hunt with a single shot 45/70. Never any problems, quick reloads and I can tailor the load to the rifle without worrying about semi-auto malfunctions. CVA Hunter. Great rifle.

Ironically I just bought one of those this weekends, but in .444 Marlin. Seems like a sweet gun, looking forward to shooting it hopefully this upcoming weekend if my optic comes in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk