The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 4, 2018, 06:58 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Savage 110 Tactical Desert

Hello all,

Just ordered a Savage 110 Tactical Desert in 6.5 Creedmoor. Also ordered a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50. With the first focal plane reticle. LOL, This is the first time I have ever spent more on Glass than I did the rifle..

Anyway, I will be adding a Muzzle Brake to it. Looking for recommendations on brand and style Brake system for that rifle. I have been considering the Precision Armament M-41.

Also Maybe I will buy a spare Barrel for it. Who makes an excellent drop in for Savage 110 rifles?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old December 5, 2018, 03:42 PM   #2
PlatinumCore16

By virtue of their barrel nut design, savage rifles will accept pretty much all the major bbl makers, so take your pick.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would love to know how you like the stock/ergos. They are unsightly, but I did not see that they take AICS mags, which would be lovely over the proprietary Savage ones. Wish they had that FDE in 308.
Old December 5, 2018, 04:29 PM   #3
RC20

Spare barrels are a bit more complicated than drop in.

Solid Mfgs I would recommend are Shilen and Criterion. I have a Shilen and its top notch, Criterion from reports seem to be equal. I would stay away from XC, EACO has barrel at a pretty low price and people generally seem to like them, so that is a how much do you want to put into it? Shilen runs around $350 (and no threads)

The issue is that Savage gets crud in their barrel threads sometimes, so its a coin flip how hard that factory nut is to get off. New ones tend to smooth (I don't know what the 110 DT has). Those have to be taken off with a pipe wrench (if they come easy) or cut off (if they come hard). A new segmented nut is needed (not a big deal)

The receiver needs to be held tight, or the barrel. The grip tool costs around $80. Another $20 for the segmented wrench. Torque wrench until you are comfortably with the required feel is an adder - I work on equipment and had it at home, not sure if I would have bought one just for that or not.

You need a good 6 inch vice for the receiver tool sold by Northern Shooter Supply (also the go to source for the Shilen or Criterion barrels).

If you plan to do a lot of target shooting you will need a new barrel in 2500 rounds or so depending on how accurate you can shoot (you have to have enough throat erosion in the throat to exceed the shooting skills and ammo capability to see it going off it to start with)

MB: no info on that, I don't have any.
Old December 5, 2018, 06:45 PM   #4
kilotanker22

This particular rifle comes with a Magpul AICS 10 round magazine.
Old December 5, 2018, 06:49 PM   #5
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post

Solid Mfgs I would recommend are Shilen and Criterion. I have a Shilen and its top notch, Criterion from reports seem to be equal. I would stay away from XC, EACO has barrel at a pretty low price and people generally seem to like them, so that is a how much do you want to put into it? Shilen runs around $350 (and no threads)

The issue is that Savage gets crud in their barrel threads sometimes, so its a coin flip how hard that factory nut is to get off. New ones tend to smooth (I don't know what the 110 DT has). Those have to be taken off with a pipe wrench (if they come easy) or cut off (if they come hard). A new segmented nut is needed (not a big deal)

The receiver needs to be held tight, or the barrel. The grip tool costs around $80. Another $20 for the segmented wrench. Torque wrench until you are comfortably with the required feel is an adder - I work on equipment and had it at home, not sure if I would have bought one just for that or not.

You need a good 6 inch vice for the receiver tool sold by Northern Shooter Supply (also the go to source for the Shilen or Criterion barrels).

If you plan to do a lot of target shooting you will need a new barrel in 2500 rounds or so depending on how accurate you can shoot (you have to have enough throat erosion in the throat to exceed the shooting skills and ammo capability to see it going off it to start with)

MB: no info on that, I don't have any.
I have the appropriate tools already. Besides the receiver vise. I do already intend to Replace the smooth nut with a segmented nut when I replace the barrel. I will have to check out Shilen, Although I would prefer not to have to thread the Barrel myself.
Old December 6, 2018, 06:31 PM   #6
RC20

If you are setup then its pretty easy.

Not sure if Shilen or Criterion offers a thread options.

Anything custom is 3-4 month wait. I got a 30-06 Shilen Bull, no one shoots those so it was 4 months. More common may be in stock.
Old December 7, 2018, 04:03 AM   #7
kilotanker22

I will shop around when the time comes..... I might see if Midway USA has some. Or Brownells. Might just have something I like.

Or I will just leave this one as is and Build a rifle. Who knows lol. I can buy both a remington or savage action new for like $300
Old December 11, 2018, 08:51 PM   #8
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumCore16 View Post
By virtue of their barrel nut design, savage rifles will accept pretty much all the major bbl makers, so take your pick.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would love to know how you like the stock/ergos. They are unsightly, but I did not see that they take AICS mags, which would be lovely over the proprietary Savage ones. Wish they had that FDE in 308.
This 110 tactical desert came in today.

Yes it does come with 1- 10 round Magpul AICS Magazine...
The color of the stock and lines are much more aesthetically pleasing than photos would leave one to believe. I very much like it.

That being said, The last Savage I bought was a savage 16 in 6.5 Creedmoor. First gen Accustock. even with the aluminium bedding it was still flimsy in the fore end... This Newer Accustock is much stiffer. It took a good deal of force to get the fore end to flex enough to touch the Barrel. Finally". Over all I would say that Savage Has done an excellent job making improvements to design and function. I like the new stock... Now I cant wait to have time to get to the range.

Barrel was supprisingly heavy, (more so than I expected). Thats ok though.
Also didnt expect this rifle to be 5R rifling either. (not that it matters). I was told its 5r, but have not bore scoped it yet. Although savage doesnt list it as 5r in the catalogue

Over all, Nice Job Savage! Now I think I am gonna need one in 6mm Creedmoor

Last edited by kilotanker22; December 11, 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old December 12, 2018, 04:29 PM   #9
RC20

Glad its looking good. You should be able to count the groves or lands on the front and see what rifling it has.

I know some like them, I just could not get into the new stocks. I got one Savage with the Thump Hole Feather Weight (BTH in Savage lingo) and converted the other two (they came with low grade stocks and I planned on it - as noted, got em for a good price)

Mine are all laminated, which is a composite though people tend not to think of them that way.

I still like the older Savage receivers with the Top Bolt release.

Boyds stocks are good Savage Sources, the two I have were perfect fits. The Prairie Hunter is what I call super grip and Boyds calls a Prairie Hunter I believe.

I got to try that type in plastic and liked it much to my surprise. Felt as good as the TH.

Oddly the Featherweight Laminate is my favorites even with a Bull Barrel it just feels and shoots better.
Old December 12, 2018, 05:00 PM   #10
kilotanker22

This Particular savage i believe has the top bolt release.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:54 PM   #11
RC20

That is a real plus to me. I don't know why, but the bottom bolt release they came out with annoys me. I know they did it to slick up the looks, same thing as the smooth nut on most, I like neither but my pipe wrench took care of the smooth nut and the segmented spare went back on it!

I know we drifted off but I like talking Savage guns. Not true bench rest but for recreational target shooting more than good enough.
Old December 13, 2018, 10:38 AM   #12
PlatinumCore16

That's awesome, I'm glad to hear it. After the snow season, I'll be looking for a good range rifle to walk out to some long distance shooting. I think this'll be just the ticket. Thank you and I'll be looking forward to the range report.
Old December 14, 2018, 12:03 AM   #13
kilotanker22

Got to put a good optic on it first... Also need to work up a load. I will shoot a few boxes of factory ammo through it after Christmas.
Old December 20, 2018, 04:24 PM   #14
ndking1126

Kilo,

Did you look at this comparison of muzzle brakes?

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...-test-results/

At the bottom are links to the other pages in the comparison. It's extremely indepth.
Old December 20, 2018, 05:10 PM   #15
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndking1126 View Post
Kilo,

Did you look at this comparison of muzzle brakes?

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...-test-results/

At the bottom are links to the other pages in the comparison. It's extremely indepth.
Thanks for the link..... I have not yet seen that article. I will check it out right now. I haven't shot the rifle yet. Not even certain I want to add to the noise with a brake. Its not like its a RUM.

Anyway. Thanks for looking out.
Old December 21, 2018, 11:55 PM   #16
Txhillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post

RC20,Why do you say stay away from X-Caliber barrels? The ones that I have shoot extremely well.

I've used almost every brand of aftermarket Savage threaded barrels (Cut & Button rifled) on around a dozen Savage,Shilen,and American Rifle Co. actions and have never had a "bad shooting" barrel from anyone shooting tuned hand loads.

Shilen,McGowen,Criterion,E.R.Shaw,and others offer very good shooting Button Rifled barrels in the $300 - $400 range.

Bugholes.com offers premium brand Cut Rifled barrels for Savage pre-fits in the $500 - $600 range.

In my experience,both types of barrels can be equally as accurate,but a Cut rifled barrel will shoot longer strings of shots before accuracy falls off from getting dirty,and they clean up faster and easier than Button rifled barrels.
Old December 22, 2018, 11:34 AM   #17
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
RC20,Why do you say stay away from X-Caliber barrels? The ones that I have shoot extremely well.

I've used almost every brand of aftermarket Savage threaded barrels (Cut & Button rifled) on around a dozen Savage,Shilen,and American Rifle Co. actions and have never had a "bad shooting" barrel from anyone shooting tuned hand loads.

Shilen,McGowen,Criterion,E.R.Shaw,and others offer very good shooting Button Rifled barrels in the $300 - $400 range.

Bugholes.com offers premium brand Cut Rifled barrels for Savage pre-fits in the $500 - $600 range.

In my experience,both types of barrels can be equally as accurate,but a Cut rifled barrel will shoot longer strings of shots before accuracy falls off from getting dirty,and they clean up faster and easier than Button rifled barrels.
Interesting, I've heard and experienced that most expertly hand-lapped barrels clean about equally well cut-rifled or button. I know my Shilen Select-Match in .260Rem cleans very well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old December 27, 2018, 05:32 PM   #18
kilotanker22

I am also figuring on buying an Angle Cosine Indicator for this rifle. Any of you guys use or have an opinion on a decent quality one?

The reason for me buying the Angle Cosine Indicator is I find myself shooting from elevated positions and from valleys. The angles are never extreme, but I have noticed some vertical differences when shooting in different location. For example. At 300 yards I can use my local range, but the elevation of the 300 yard target is a decent clip higher than the shooting position. Now the angle is not extreme, maybe 20 degrees, but even at 300 yards when I am properly sighted I always shoot a little high..

For me to shoot longer than 300 yards I have to go to friends and family properties and setup our own ranges. Which sometimes require the use of different angles to get the ranges we want. Many times I am either a fair bit higher or lower than my target.

I know its not a "Necessity", but its something that I feel will help me to correct for the angular distance when I have to setup my own range. And I feel that as far as practicality goes. This is gonna be a dedicated range queen/Tactical setup. The primary use of this firearm is for fun......

LOL, I still have not gotten to the range with this thing. I am waiting to finish the setup the way I want before working on loading and tuning for it

Last edited by kilotanker22; December 27, 2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old January 2, 2019, 03:53 PM   #19
kilotanker22

Oh by the way. I did talk about 5R rifling being advertised on this rifle by several retailers. This rifle in fact does not have a 5R rifled Barrel.
Old January 2, 2019, 04:04 PM   #20
std7mag

Kilo,
I don't use an angle indicator on my rifles. I have Strelok Pro on my phone. Camera will give me angle, and corrected distance/calculations for elevation.

Otherwise Nightforce looks to have a decent angle indicator. I don't know about Vortex.

Amazon could be your friend there. Lol

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 2, 2019, 05:03 PM   #21
kilotanker22

std7mag,

I got a range finder for Christmas this year. Turns out it will give you the shot angle when you range....

Although, the angle cosine indicator would be easier. Not having to figure out what the cosine for a particular angle is.... I looked at one from Badger ordinance, that will mount to the rail under the scope. I will probably go that route.
Old January 3, 2019, 10:06 AM   #22
PlatinumCore16

Please keep the updates coming. I'm pumped to see the end result.

Interesting that it isn't 5R rifled, I thought it even said that on their site...
Old January 3, 2019, 10:29 AM   #23
kilotanker22

I did not see it on their sight. But Cabela's, Buds Gun Shop and another site all advertised it as 5R rifled.
Old February 1, 2019, 03:20 PM   #24
kilotanker22

I should have a range report for you all tomorrow. Loading up some ammunition tonight and shooting tomorrow.
Old February 1, 2019, 03:34 PM   #25
kilotanker22

Since I will be shooting it for the first time tomorrow. I decided to get all the factory goo cleaned out and have it ready for the range.

This was by far the filthiest new in box rifle I have ever seen. Also I assume that they proof tested the rifle prior to leaving the factory. Haha, you can still read the head stamp on the bolt face.

I assume that they test it higher than SAAMI cartridge spec?