The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2020, 11:33 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Redding Competition Shellholder

I have been digging information for online reading/video content and have not found much.

I did come across these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldtbsym650k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hGvUzj7Zuk

Came across this reading content: https://www.redding-reloading.com/te...with-headspace

Now excuse the dumb question and please correct, does this serve for headspace and bumping shoulder? Are they both the same?

Has anyone used these? If so, what are your thoughts?
Old April 4, 2020, 10:24 AM   #2
AVirginian

I use them to bump the shoulders back on several calibers that all use the same shell holder. As stated in the videos each increases the bump by .002". I find this easier than loosening lock rings and turning the dies in.

I would stay away from a discussion of headspace as your thread will get derailed and descend into black hole or barbs and insults. YMMV
Old April 4, 2020, 10:38 AM   #3
txtaxman

“Has anyone used these? If so, what are your thoughts?”

I have used Redding Competition shellholders, and I find them useful in a situation where the standard setup results in sized cases that are shorter than desired from base to shoulder.

Redding Competition shellholders allow the user to select a shellholder and die combination that results in sized cases that are up to 0.010” longer from base to shoulder than a standard shellholder (0.125”), when the shellholder touches the die at the top of the sizing stroke under load.

One could simply turn the die out a fraction of a turn, but the results are not as consistent as when there is firm contact between the shellholder and the die. This is a result of slack in the linkage of the press, variations in the hardness of the brass, lubrication, etc.

The situation is different, if sized cases from your setup are too short from base to shoulder.
Old April 4, 2020, 03:30 PM   #4
ninosdemente

AVirginian, thanks for the reply. Also thanks for the warning. Lol. We will just stick with the topic of Redding Competition Shellholder.

------

txtaxman, thank you as well. You already answered my next question of how consistent would one be as much as possible if going the route of adjusting the die a turn at a time.

I purchased a set for the 6.5 Creedmoor and haven't used it. From the 1st video, I did see to adjust properly I have to remove action components for my Savage 12FV to find the right shellholder. Shouldn't be difficult to find.

Now at the moment am loading brass A but do have brass B (different manufacturer). I will load brass B once I am done with brass A. So do I have to redo the same steps I did for brass A to find out which shellholder is right/appropriate for brass B, C, D, etc? Can I use the same shellholder for all 6.5 Creedmoor brass regardless of manufacturer?
Old April 4, 2020, 10:06 PM   #5
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
txtaxman, thank you as well. You already answered my next question of how consistent would one be as much as possible if going the route of adjusting the die a turn at a time.
One turn of the sizing die moves it about .072 inch or 1/14th inch. Thread pitch is 14 per inch.

Turning the die one tenth of an inch about its circumference moves it about .002 inch.

Read post #8 in

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...nick+die+label

Last edited by Bart B.; April 4, 2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old April 4, 2020, 10:37 PM   #6
ninosdemente

Bart B., thank you for your post and link to the post.
Old April 5, 2020, 02:48 AM   #7
ninosdemente

Thank you for the update with the picture. Looks like it will help for being more consistent then not trying to keep track of movement without a guide.