The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2010, 04:12 AM   #1
SkrillaMane

First shotgun

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and in the market for my first firearm. I'm sure this question is asked quite a bit but I would appreciate some feedback for my specific situation. My experience with shooting has so far been limited to my friends' arsenals: 12 gauge Mossberg turkey gun shooting some skeet, target shooting with Marlin .22, Mosin Nagant M38 Carbine. My question is: what are your recommendations for a good first shotgun? Primary function would be HD. I'm not a hunter, but could end up going for trips with said friends if I were up for it. I want to obviously be reasonable in spending, but realize that you get what you pay for. Most important to me is a SG that will be functional for HD, but would also be an adequate beginning hunting weapon. My research has led me to think that a Mossberg 500 (12 gauge) would be a good starting place. What are your recommendations? If more info is needed to formulate an opinion, let me know. I apologize for such a ridiculously open-ended, subjective question...guess I have to start somewhere. Thanks.

SM
Old January 14, 2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Smitty in CT

Sounds like what you are looking for is this:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/49886

Bud's Gun Shop has them for $487 shipping included.

The Mossberg 930 is very soft shooting, extremely reliable and very easy to maintain...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old January 14, 2010, 01:35 PM   #3
zippy13

Greetings SkrillaMane, and welcome aboard.

You're right, usually with a gun purchase there a lot of questions to be asked before we can narrow the field and develop a short list. Your situation is not unusual, you don't have enough experience to answer the typical questions. And shooting skeet with a turkey gun was probably more an exercise in shooting holes in the sky instead of breaking targets.

There are some general questions that do apply, are you: Left handed? Tall, short, or average size? Young (and still growing)? Any handicaps (blind in one eye, unbelievably clumsy)? Obviously, if you're a 6'-7" pro athlete, it will make a difference.

I second Smitty's recommendation to get a combo as a first gun, you won't be alone. Although not ideal for any one function, it's a great introductory gun and a gateway to future purchases of environment specific guns.

Please, don't jump at the first deeply discounted combo your area big-box gun store offers. Shop around and get to know what's available. Which gun fits you best (a very important aspect of gun buying)? Wood or synthetic stock? Do the local gun clubs have guns to rent/borrow… try them all. Talk to other shooters and they may lend you a gun for a trail round. The more you learn up front, the less likely you'll make a regrettable purchase. Set a realistic budget, all to frequently we see a new-B wanting a top dollar gun for a bottom dollar price (they frequently wind up with a used shout-out junker).
Old January 14, 2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy13
... it's a great introductory gun and a gateway to future (and more expensive) purchases of environment specific guns...
Zip,

I had to fix one thing that you left out (added in red)... it's funny how that works, the more I buy (even used ones) they just seem to get more and more expensive...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old January 14, 2010, 03:14 PM   #5
BigJimP

+1 to what Zippy said ....

A good all around pump gun ....maybe not a "tactical fighting shotgun" - but certainly could be a "defensive gun" is a pump gun with a 28" barrel. Its much better for any targets ....and personally I like the Browning BPS ( Browning Pump Shotgun ).... Look at the BPS Hunter model ...for around $ 500 but they are several models.

I like the BPS because its cast neutral / so stock does not favor a right or left handed shooter ( and most others do ), safety is on top of the tang so its easy to reach, and it ejects out of the bottom so good for leftie or right handed shooter again. Browning make tactical versions as well ....

If you have a knowledgeable shotgunning friend that can help you / there are a lot of good used guns on the market / but there is a lot of junk out there too. I just bought a nice Browning Over /Under 12ga, 28" barrels on Tue for $ 725 that was a very clean gun ....so there are deals out there to be found. That gun new is around $ 1,750 .....
Old January 14, 2010, 03:43 PM   #6
oneounceload

In addition to all of the great advice above, remember that a well-made gun will not be necessarily cheap; however, it will hold resale value better - so if you decide it is not for you, or on the other hand, you decide this is great and are ready to move up, you will be able to get more of your initial expenditure back from a quality gun than a really cheap one. (Cheap as in cheaply made).

The above combo is a good place to start, and for the money, MUCH better than the cheap Chicom O/U imports.

Follow my sig line and you should never be disappointed.........

Welcome to the addiction!
Old January 14, 2010, 05:25 PM   #7
SkrillaMane

Thanks

I appreciate everyone's input. Zippy, you are absolutely right about not hitting a darn thing the day we shot skeet with my buddies turkey gun. To give a little more info, I'm young but done growing, I'm 5'6'' and wiry. My hands are smaller than average I'd say and I'm a righty. I had taken a look at the Mossbergs (500 and 590) and was impressed. Smitty, I'll definitely consider the combos for their versatility. Again, thanks for the input and the warm welcome.

SM
Old January 15, 2010, 03:48 PM   #8
MagnumWill

I own a 590A1, and I think it's perfect for HD. I am a huge fan of it, but I think any other good pump (870's and Ithacas, to name a few) would be fine.

More importantly- how much are you planning on spending on one? that makes a huge difference on which one you can acquire.
Old January 15, 2010, 11:48 PM   #9
LollerCopter

on my 14th birthday my dad walked into the kitchen with 2 small boxes about a foot and a half long. i have an identical twin, we opened them and found 20 guage remington 870 express mags ... excellent birthday. 22 inch barrel models scored better at the trap range with this than anything else. even the 800 dollar remington 1100 semi auto 12 guage with hair trigger
Old January 15, 2010, 11:53 PM   #10
LollerCopter

For a home defense shotgun.. well i gotta say anything that is a pump action in at least 20 or 12 guage should do the trick. never get birdshot for home defense, always use buckshot. if cost is a factor there are some u can get for less than 200 dollars now adays, only disadvantage is the pump and butt are black hollow plastic. but they work just fine have yet to get a pump that doesnt work well
Old January 15, 2010, 11:54 PM   #11
the rifleer

I vote mossberg 500. its a outstanding shotgun. the 870 is supposed to be pretty good and the one i shot worked well, but was significantly heavier and i didn't like it as much as my 500.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:00 AM   #12
jborushko

Remington 870 magnum express.... 'nough said

fyi- mossberg 500 are known to break the forks off the fore end tube assembly ie. the part that pumps the gun. personally i've had to weld 5 different shotguns (EDIT: all 500s) back together because of THIS failure.

$$$$ a used 870 can be had for around 200-300 just be sure to get one what will shoot 3" shells (most if not all NEW 870s do) but many of the old ones where not, hence the Magnum Express.

$$$$ new 870s will run about 4-500 depending.

Last edited by jborushko; January 16, 2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:16 AM   #13
the rifleer

I don't want to start a debate here, but I have never heard of that happening to a mossberg 500.

and to counter that, there are numerous posts here from different people about their new 870's having roughly cut chambers and are difficult and in some cases nearly impossible to eject the spent shell.

Both are exceedingly well respected shotguns and both are well made. there is not shotgun out there that is the best, you just have to pick which one you like best.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:30 AM   #14
jborushko

- you just have to pick which one you like best -

i'll agree with that

870 is still better
Old January 16, 2010, 02:49 AM   #15
SkrillaMane

Gentlemen (and ladies)...this is exactly what I hoped to see in terms of replies. Your debates are bringing to light the true nuances of these different models of SGs. This is all invaluable information (in my book) because it is not something you will readily see on a manufacturer's website (i.e. watch out for this or that on our model such and such...tends to be sketchy ). By all means, please continue.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:17 AM   #16
noyes

Shells, shells, shells, shells & more shotgun shells. Practice , practice , practice & more practice.

Otherwise it really does not make much difference what brand shotgun you choose.
Old January 16, 2010, 10:03 AM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have to vote the 500 as well...

I have never experienced a failure of any type with any shotgun with the exception of a winchester autoloader jam-o-matic.

For me, the 500 has the controls in the right places for ideal use. The safety tab in the place where a hammer would be is perfect for me as I do not have to move either hand to operate it from any position I hold the gun.

The action release is easy to operate with my middle finger tip, also, from any position..
Brent

Tags
home defense , shotgun