The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 13, 2020, 10:14 PM   #26
Saltydog235

Good riddance, their optics are absolute crap.
Old February 14, 2020, 08:31 AM   #27
kilotanker22

I wouldn't say "absolute crap" I have used many products that were far worse in quality.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 14, 2020, 12:17 PM   #28
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by globemaster3 View Post
https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/ge...e-riflescopes/

I pulled this from the 6.8 Forums and it caught me by surprise. Has anyone else heard or read anything else about Nikon leaving the scope market?

I've been running Nikon for years with great success, and like their Spot On app for the BDC reticle. Maybe this is why they haven't produced any app updates for some common factory loads.

Sounds like I need to buy a few more before they are all gone!
Quote:
22 posts and only a couple of people addressed my questions.

The rest just turned into a Nikon bashing/defense thread. I'm sorry people had a bad time with Nikon. I've had nothing but good experiences. Just like any other manufacturer in any market, there will always be some good experiences and some bad. I was just looking for confirmation if this is truth or not, since a single source from an outdoor mag doesn't necessarily count as truth.

Mods, shut 'er down please.
Yes, I have heard or read about Nikon leaving the scope market.
Old February 15, 2020, 07:35 AM   #29
shurshot

I have Nikon scopes on my Remington .270 700, my sons Remington .243 700 and my Glenfield bolt action .22 rifle. We lost track long ago of how many deer, woodchucks and other varmints have been taken with the Nikon scopes. No issues, just clear glass, rugged construction, pinpoint accuracy at a decent price. Hot summer days through bitter cold winter winds and ice, the Nikon's have done what we asked without issue. I also have Nikon binoculars we use to keep an eye on the backyard / property lines.
No complaints from my family. We have gotten our money's worth and then some. I suppose I could have easily spent far more on glass, but my freezer still wouldn't be any fuller ...

Last edited by shurshot; February 15, 2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old February 21, 2020, 06:03 AM   #30
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot View Post
I have Nikon scopes on my Remington .270 700, my sons Remington .243 700 and my Glenfield bolt action .22 rifle. We lost track long ago of how many deer, woodchucks and other varmints have been taken with the Nikon scopes. No issues, just clear glass, rugged construction, pinpoint accuracy at a decent price. Hot summer days through bitter cold winter winds and ice, the Nikon's have done what we asked without issue. I also have Nikon binoculars we use to keep an eye on the backyard / property lines.
No complaints from my family. We have gotten our money's worth and then some. I suppose I could have easily spent far more on glass, but my freezer still wouldn't be any fuller ...
EXCELLENT. Well stated. I have multiple Nikon Omegas and these were wonderful scopes. Strong enough to use on458 mag with long eye relief. There are some I dont like, that is true of all product lines. The optics were very good, man the junk you read on the internet!

I dont have any use for 'trick' reticles and that includes and and ALL the duplex alternatives. The ONLY scope I will every purchase is a cross hair or duplex. Never a military dot setup for me. No circles or hash marks of any kind. That has eliminated 95% of everything out there today including the mil dot crap.
Old February 22, 2020, 02:55 AM   #31
HiBC

[QUOTEI dont have any use for 'trick' reticles and that includes and and ALL the duplex alternatives. The ONLY scope I will every purchase is a cross hair or duplex. Never a military dot setup for me. No circles or hash marks of any kind. That has eliminated 95% of everything out there today including the mil dot crap.

][/QUOTE]
To each his own! Buy what you like! A MilDot reticle is just a tool.Some folks understand what they are for and how to use them. Fewer uee them enough to be proficient.
To lack competence with a tool does not make the tool crap.
While the MilDot can be used for a hold reference,its primarily a rangefinder

It works pretty good if you learn the skill.

I have a Pride-Fowler 10Xscope with the 800 yd Rapid Reticle. I believe it was built by Nikon.Its on a 308 and it works quite well. I have no complaint.
Old February 22, 2020, 07:54 AM   #32
stagpanther

It really is a surprise, I thought they were FINALLY getting serious with their new 1000 black scopes, which I bought 2 of but feel they fell just a bit short given their price.
Old February 22, 2020, 10:26 AM   #33
pete2

I have 1 Nikon scope, never bought second one, it just isn't as clear as a Leupold or Burris. A 200.00 Leupold is better than a 200.00 Nikon.
Old February 23, 2020, 08:19 AM   #34
BBarn

Given Nikon's position in the camera and other optical products markets, I doubt they would share their brand name with someone else over which they have no control.
Old February 23, 2020, 11:46 AM   #35
wachtelhund1

I have several older Monarchs, the newest being 17 or 18 years old. Two are older fixed power, 6X and 4X Monarchs. I've had no problems with them, but since buying the last one, I have always been amazed at the number of refurbished Nikon scope available. You don't see other refurbished brand scopes for sale. May be other brand just trash their returned scopes.
Old February 23, 2020, 11:49 AM   #36
kilotanker22

On certain dealer sites you can find some refurbished Vortex scopes. Although not many
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 23, 2020, 11:51 AM   #37
kilotanker22

Does a refurbished Nikon come with the same warranty?
– St. Augustine
Old February 26, 2020, 11:00 AM   #38
globemaster3

My understanding is that they do.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old February 26, 2020, 11:22 AM   #39
aarondhgraham

Wouldn't ya know it,,,
I just bought two rimfire scopes from them.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 28, 2020, 04:15 PM   #40
langenc

I read most of the posts.
Comments--

lifetime-whose??
I only have one Nikon w/ Nikoplex- a 4x or 6x straight power.
Never had to ask for service. See comments about 'original' receipt even when registered--BS.

One other scope mfg who also just went out-of-business had the receipt thing and only warrantied to original purchaser. If you have the orig receipt and pass it to someone else who knows. Yes, that dont happen except perhaps in a family.
Old February 29, 2020, 10:05 AM   #41
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
I read most of the posts.
Comments--

lifetime-whose??
I only have one Nikon w/ Nikoplex- a 4x or 6x straight power.
Never had to ask for service. See comments about 'original' receipt even when registered--BS.

One other scope mfg who also just went out-of-business had the receipt thing and only warrantied to original purchaser. If you have the orig receipt and pass it to someone else who knows. Yes, that dont happen except perhaps in a family.
For Leupold and Burris, lifetime seems to mean forever. For most others, lifetime seems to mean lifetime of the product or amount of time it takes them to come up with an excuse not to repair it. I believe Vortex will be like Leupold, but its still too early in their life to say for sure.
(I am intentionally not putting the $3k manufacturers on the list. Of course their warranties are good. At that price, they should be.)
Old March 30, 2020, 06:38 AM   #42
fourbore

Given careful examination of a crossfire, my expectation is the Vortex warranty will go the same way as all the others.
Old March 30, 2020, 11:14 AM   #43
Danwin22

I have two of the Nikon 3-9x40 Rimfire-II scopes, one on a CZ-452 American, the other one on a Henry Golden Boy.

My plan was to get two more for my Winchester 490 and 9422.

I think they are a very good scope, especially in low light.
Old April 9, 2020, 02:32 PM   #44
Rock Hammer

Quote:
https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/ge...e-riflescopes/

I pulled this from the 6.8 Forums and it caught me by surprise. Has anyone else heard or read anything else about Nikon leaving the scope market?

I've been running Nikon for years with great success, and like their Spot On app for the BDC reticle. Maybe this is why they haven't produced any app updates for some common factory loads.

Sounds like I need to buy a few more before they are all gone!
thanks for posting this information , makes me glad i bought the leuopld , try to buy red , white , and blue , if possible even if it means more . thanks again...