The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 27, 2019, 11:13 AM   #1
USNRet93

It's winter-so...Glock announcement December 10th??

I can imagine the responses considering the 'general' feeling here but..so what..winter, discussion group..let's discuss...

Got an email about a BIG announcement from Glock December 10th..any ideas? 'Something legendary is coming'....Speculation? Another forum has everything from a 1911-type to revolver to truck to carbine..

https://us.glock.com/en

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 27, 2019, 08:36 PM   #2
SameOle

I thought I heard rumors about a revolving barrel.
Old November 27, 2019, 09:26 PM   #3
American Man

I hope they come out with a carbine. What are they waiting for? I love my CX4 Storm, but I would love a Glock 10mm PCC.
Old November 27, 2019, 09:37 PM   #4
Sharkbite

The hope has been for a Glock PCC since...well, since Glock first came out.
Old November 27, 2019, 11:18 PM   #5
MagnumWill

Maybe they're getting back into curtain rods?
Old November 27, 2019, 11:32 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Survival tool. But, this time, in metal!
Old November 29, 2019, 06:47 AM   #7
kozak6

I highly doubt it will be anything crazy. Glock is quite conservative and it seems like most changes either come down to cost reduction or meeting contractual requirements.

The big rumor is that it's going to be some kind of Gen5 10mm, which is plausible considering the date.

I'd personally be more interested in a single stack 10mm, but we'll see.
Old November 29, 2019, 01:50 PM   #8
Mike38

Glock is going out of business and are announcing they will not provide financial assistance for the Glocloholics that will suffer delirium tremens during withdrawals.
Old December 1, 2019, 08:39 PM   #9
Forte S+W

Introducing the Glock Gen 6! Experience the latest evolution in perfection!
  • Replaceable front-straps for those who actually liked finger grooves!
  • Front slide serrations because why not? Everybody else is doing it!
  • New ultra-durable Glorakote® Finish! (Totally not just Duracoat and definitely not because it's cheaper!)
  • NEW & Improved Safe Action™ Takedown Procedure! (Trigger pull no longer required!)
Old December 1, 2019, 10:45 PM   #10
TruthTellers

Glock is a one trick pony, same design for all their guns, so they're not looking to expand into any other facet of the gun market. Even the PCC market is saturated and if Glock made one now, I don't see much demand for it, not like there was 20 years ago.

So what will it be? My guess is some kind of budget version of the Glock that will bring the price of a brand new one to around $350. How will they do that? Here's what they might do to cut costs:

1. Cast slide. Machining ops will be good inside the slide, the external part will be in the rough.

2. Fixed sights. Sights will be one piece with the slide.

3. Cheaper barrel. Made in China anyone?

4. Ship with one magazine.
Old December 2, 2019, 01:38 AM   #11
dyl

Perhaps it's their turn to announce yet another competitor to the P365 and SA Hellcat.

Quote:
Replaceable front-straps for those who actually liked finger grooves!
Front slide serrations because why not? Everybody else is doing it!
New ultra-durable Glorakote® Finish! (Totally not just Duracoat and definitely not because it's cheaper!)
NEW & Improved Safe Action™ Takedown Procedure! (Trigger pull no longer required!)
Just rehashing features found on other firearms. Well how about this: Grip Zone! Replaceable side panels! Going back to finger grooves! Slide serrations everywhere! Loaded chamber indicators and integrated lasers!
Old December 2, 2019, 12:39 PM   #12
Forte S+W

@TruthTellers
While that's definitely a possibility, I doubt that they'll do it.

Frankly, if they wanted to tap the budget market then they would have done so by now to prevent Smith & Wesson from undercutting them with the Sigma Series.

Besides, Glock seems to have an image as being the luxury brand among polymer-framed utilitarian pistols, hench why those who own them are always so prideful about it and look down on other brands, including nicer-looking polymer-framed guns with better finishes that cost a bit more like the Walther P99/PPQ/CCP.
Glock must be aware of this and therefore wouldn't want to hurt their image by offering a value line of the gun. Besides, the market for budget polymer-framed, striker-fired semiautomatic pistols is already flooded with options by other quality brands, so who besides Glock Fanboys would choose a Budget Glock over one of the many other options like S&W SD#VE, Ruger SR/LC/Security, Walther Creed, SIG P365, Taurus Millennium G2, Mossberg MC1, the list goes on?

It's a market they have nothing to gain and plenty to lose by entering.

@DYL
That was the joke.
Old December 2, 2019, 01:14 PM   #13
American Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
@TruthTellers
While that's definitely a possibility, I doubt that they'll do it.

Frankly, if they wanted to tap the budget market then they would have done so by now to prevent Smith & Wesson from undercutting them with the Sigma Series.

Besides, Glock seems to have an image as being the luxury brand among polymer-framed utilitarian pistols, hench why those who own them are always so prideful about it and look down on other brands, including nicer-looking polymer-framed guns with better finishes that cost a bit more like the Walther P99/PPQ/CCP.
Glock must be aware of this and therefore wouldn't want to hurt their image by offering a value line of the gun. Besides, the market for budget polymer-framed, striker-fired semiautomatic pistols is already flooded with options by other quality brands, so who besides Glock Fanboys would choose a Budget Glock over one of the many other options like S&W SD#VE, Ruger SR/LC/Security, Walther Creed, SIG P365, Taurus Millennium G2, Mossberg MC1, the list goes on?

It's a market they have nothing to gain and plenty to lose by entering.

@DYL
That was the joke.
Those who own them are so prideful and look down on other brands? You sure about that?

I have many sigs, hks and glocks. It's a little irritating when people get a little high and mighty and have to talk bad about them when they are great pistols.

And if they did come out with a PCC that is as reliable as their pistols, I think they would be very successful. But I guess those out there with Glock Derangement Syndrome could not possibly admit that.
Old December 2, 2019, 02:15 PM   #14
Forte S+W

In my experience, among polymer-framed pistols, Glocks receive in inordinate amount of praise, and yes, I've seen a lot of Glock-owners who act like they're the best, even among brands like Heckler & Koch, Walther, and SIG-sauer.

Honestly, tell me you haven't seen this line at least once in any thread posted by someone seeking advice on a new pistol for self-defense; "Spend just a little bit [more/less] and get yourself a Glock." Bonus points if said statement is followed by the assertion that Glocks are significantly better in every conceivable way, complete with disparaging remarks regarding other brands/models suggested by other posters.
Old December 2, 2019, 02:47 PM   #15
American Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
In my experience, among polymer-framed pistols, Glocks receive in inordinate amount of praise, and yes, I've seen a lot of Glock-owners who act like they're the best, even among brands like Heckler & Koch, Walther, and SIG-sauer.

Honestly, tell me you haven't seen this line at least once in any thread posted by someone seeking advice on a new pistol for self-defense; "Spend just a little bit [more/less] and get yourself a Glock." Bonus points if said statement is followed by the assertion that Glocks are significantly better in every conceivable way, complete with disparaging remarks regarding other brands/models suggested by other posters.
Yeah, but it is tiring. Plus, I hear a lot more about people hating on glocks than vice versa. This thread turned into a list of people talking like glocks are a piece of crap.
Old December 3, 2019, 08:02 AM   #16
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Man View Post
Yeah, but it is tiring. Plus, I hear a lot more about people hating on glocks than vice versa. This thread turned into a list of people talking like glocks are a piece of crap.
Quote:
In my experience, among polymer-framed pistols, Glocks receive in inordinate amount of praise
It is and yes..and Glock does get a lot of hate here and on other forums I frequent..even on 'Glock' forums..ugly, boring, overpriced, over hyped...when you mention reliable, simple, good value, you get 'ugly, boring, overpriced, over hyped'..

Praise, hate..oh well...everybody has their reasons and requirements..not gonna say mine(too obvious) but the 'quote' at bottom sums it up for me.

I have an idea..if you don't like putnameofgunhere..don't buy one..

BACK to thread..I'm thinking a carbine, considering the picture of the guy camping...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 3, 2019, 03:48 PM   #17
BBarn

Perhaps TP utilizing a perfect blend of paper fibers for maximum comfort. Great for the camper, and compliments the entrenching tool.
Old December 4, 2019, 03:27 PM   #18
Forte S+W

I don't mean to slam Glock, in fact I like them, I just feel that their Fanboys are the worst. (Yes, even worse that 1911 Fanboys!)
As for Glocks getting slammed around here, I wouldn't know since I'm still a relatively new member, my experience is drawn from other forums. I think that the majority of Glock hate stems from the Fanboys rather than the guns themselves, because what's not to like? They're ugly? I disagree, I'd call them "plain" which works for a workhorse gun.

Anyway, back on topic, it it isn't a new generation of Glock Pistols, then I would imagine that it would be something like a Pistol Caliber Carbine. There are a lot of Carbines out there that use Glock Magazines to begin with, and most of them are either extremely cheap or expensive, so if Glock were to introduce their own Pistol Caliber Carbine priced somewhere in between, then they could be very successful.

I can't imagine what else it could possibly be, unless they actually are indeed doing something completely new and unexpected that would actually merit the use of the word; "Legendary" unlike their liberal use of the term; "Perfection".
But hey, they came out with the first successful polymer framed pistol, (READ: Successful, unlike the H&K VP-70) so I wouldn't count them out. For all we know they might have made a form of caseless ammunition that's actually reliable. Wouldn't that be something? Imagine Glock coming out with some crazy new ammo design or at least perfected an old design.

Introducing the latest innovation in firearms technology, an ill-fated blast from the past, revived and perfected as only Glock can! The Glock Gyrojet!

Originally designed in the 1960s by MB Associates, the Gyrojet was the first and only rocket-propelled cartridge, but alas, it was ahead of its time and manufacturing at the time lacked the necessary precision to achieve adequate reliability for the vital role of self-defense. However, with use of modern CNC Machining available only in our state-of-the-art facility, Glock has revived and perfected this bold innovation from firearms history.

Featuring:
  • Revolutionary jet-fueled caseless ammunition design using fast burning propellants to achieve adequate performance at the muzzle which only gets better as it travels!
  • Thanks to the rocket-propelled ammunition, chamber pressures are extremely low, allowing for a firearm that is extremely lightweight, soft-shooter, and inexpensive to produce!
  • Unparalleled performance! The Glock Gyrojet series of pistols delivers perfect performance wherever you need it, whether it is on land, underneath the ocean, or even in the vacuum of outer space.
  • Ultimate reliability! Because there are fewer moving parts, Glock Gyrojet pistols feature unprecedented reliability.
  • Pinpoint Accuracy! The Gyrojet cartridge's rocket-propelled design improves accuracy at range by reducing the effects of wind-drag and gravity alike, insuring that your shots hit exactly were you aim them within the weapon's effective range.

Old December 4, 2019, 05:23 PM   #19
batmann

I’m not an authority on Glocks, although I have one. I find them simple, light weight and more importantly, reliable. So, anything I guess, is that just that a guess.
So, that said, I’m going a slightly modernized 10 MM.
Old December 5, 2019, 01:18 AM   #20
dyl

Quote:
@DYL
That was the joke.
Yeah, I just couldn't help but join in the joke too. I think it's funny how if you look at Gen 1 all the way to Gen 5, the Glocks flip flop with the finger grooves and grip cutouts. So were finger grooves a good idea or a bad idea?

It's like Taco Bell's "new" items. Mostly the same ingredients, but find a different way to combine them. How about we add another tortilla to the outside? - Not that I know much about Taco Bell...

Not that you can fault them. I do have to say, there's something to be said about simplicity. And I think it came from Glock sticking to their brand, and mostly sticking to their original design. Stubborn. But over the long haul, it helps people know what to expect. They do have the luxury of having success despite being a relatively young company - in comparison to say... Smith and Wesson. S&W has had to change so much from the revolvers to early semi-autos to polymer pistols and polymer revolvers. You say M&P or Bodyguard and it could mean different things to different people.

So I'd imagine, for people who would get lost in the weeds, recommending a Glock for simplicity may be a good thing for some people if you know that they personally would be overwhelmed with navigating all the differences and features. Yes, that means they're missing out on some of the fun.

I don't think it's a carbine. I might be wrong, but that sounds just a little too adventurous for Glock. It would be nice though Maybe a compact 10mm. Bigger than a Glock 29. Or something that has to do with the trend of "longer grip, shorter slide" or another single-stack small gun. How about a single stack 10mm? or a 40 cal version of Glock 43 - although 40 is less popular so maybe not. We'll see.
Old December 5, 2019, 05:13 AM   #21
BBarn

Well, Glock is referring to the new product as legendary. Even though they are a conservative company, it wouldn't seem proper to refer to a model variation like a single stack 10mm as "legendary". A 22 pistol of conventional size and appearance that.holds 20 rounds would be somewhat "revolutionary".
Old December 5, 2019, 08:57 AM   #22
Forte S+W

@dyl

I think it's as simple as some folks liking finger grooves while others hate them and how that all applies to different folks with different hand sizes. There's an ever-growing trend of "ergonomics" in the modern industry, which I personally feel is a flawed concept since it is reliant upon an ideal that there exists a perfect, one-size-fits-all format. Meanwhile, back in reality, folks come in all shapes and sizes, so the most realistic outcome one can attain in pursuit of that ideal is a size that fits everyone "good enough". Thankfully, cusomization options like replaceable backstraps of various sizes seems to have caught on, ergo it seems like the pursuit has been changed to something more realistic/obtainable, which is offering a product which can be custom-taylored to suit individual needs/tastes without the need of expensive aftermarket modifications.
So yeah, the next logical step would be replaceable front straps which include a simple flat face, rounded face, and a couple of different ones with larger/smaller finger grooves.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, both 10mm Auto and .40 S&W just have too much recoil for the average shooter out of a lightweight, compact firearm. A lot less folks would complain about .40 S&W being "snappy" if they'd only accept that you cannot have a firearm which is both light in weight and recoil, ergo if you want a firearm with .40 S&W power than you either have to man up and accept that it's going to be snappy out of a lightweight, compact pistol, or start carrying a heavier, larger gun which makes the recoil less pronounced.

So yeah, unfortunately a compact .40 S&W variant of the Glock 43 wouldn't be successful for long before it inevitably found its way into the hands of folks who simply cannot accept that a firearm chambered in a more powerful cartridge is going to kick more, at which point they will drop it in favor of the G43 in 9mm Luger and attempt to console their emasculated hearts by parroting the sentiment that 9mm Luger in general is just as good as .40 S&W, including the 115gr Standard Pressure loads they carry because the 124gr-147gr +P(+) loads which could actually approach or replicate .40 S&W performance still recoil too much for comfort out of a Glock 43.
Old December 5, 2019, 10:17 AM   #23
BillM

"Legendary"?? What about a Glock could be considered legendary?

Maybe they are going to blow the dust off the old tooling and do a run
of the original Gen 1 pencil barrel G17's??
Old December 5, 2019, 01:45 PM   #24
American Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
"Legendary"?? What about a Glock could be considered legendary?

Maybe they are going to blow the dust off the old tooling and do a run
of the original Gen 1 pencil barrel G17's??
How about Durability and Dependability? Take a deep breath now... I know you're about to spaz out and have a seizure.

I have several dozen carry size semi autos by 6 makers. I don't carry a glock because they suck. I am impressed with how much they hurt some people's feelings though... it's like kryptonite for some people with their egos high in the sky. As someone who has fought for his life many times, for some reason I have no problem trusting a glock.
Old December 5, 2019, 04:54 PM   #25
Forte S+W

Could be worse, the Glock would be like the Taurus Judge in which the mere mention of it induces temporary insanity upon certain folks, causing them to ramble incoherently about it, making outragous claims like it being completely non-lethal even if you use .45s because apparently the Judge has the magical ability to bend the laws of physics, thus rendering otherwise legendary cartridges like .45 Long Colt completely ineffective, debating anyone feverishly who dares to suggest that it has any use whatsoever in self-defense, and cherry-pick every negative review, test, or article they can find in a desperate attempt to justify their rage-induced hysteria. Or better yet, if they're a moderator, they'll actually rage-lock any thread on the Judge if it receives too many positive responses, complete with some absurd excuse like they're doing it to uphold the quality of the forum and prevent the spread of misinformation.