The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 27, 2009, 02:36 PM   #1
par4

All-purpose Shotgun Suggestions?

Hi - new to shotguns - seeking advice on a good affordable all-purpose choice. Any suggestions?

Thanks
par4
Old September 27, 2009, 02:40 PM   #2
hoytinak

I use a Mossberg 500 12ga for my all purpose shotgun. I keep the 18.5" barrel on it for HD duty but swap in the 28" for trap/hunting. It does everything I need a shotgun to do very well and reliable.
Old September 27, 2009, 03:24 PM   #3
oneounceload

Depends on what you consider "all-purpose" - MY definition is geared towards targets and upland birds, therefore my definition is one thing - if yours is HD and waterfowl, or deer and turkey - that will be different yet again
Old September 27, 2009, 03:32 PM   #4
fisherman66

Remington 870
Old September 27, 2009, 03:49 PM   #5
oneounceload

Quote:
Remington 870
For???

Hell, I could just as easily say "Perazzi".......
Old September 27, 2009, 03:54 PM   #6
fisherman66

Quote:
For???
For "all-purpose shotgun" "seeking advice on a good affordable all-purpose choice."

Can't you read?
Old September 27, 2009, 04:04 PM   #7
SR420

Quote:
All-purpose Shotgun Suggestions?
I have owned three different shotguns and kept the one I purchased in 1993.

HK/Benelli M1 Super 90. It looks like this one.

Buy one if you can find one

Old September 27, 2009, 04:24 PM   #8
sheepman

Any good pump or Semi auto, that has easy barrel change and screw in chokes. This will provide a gun capable (or easy changes to suit your needs). The O/U and S/S or single barrels are OK but a pump or auto will be more versatile as a do all gun. : Bill
Old September 27, 2009, 04:32 PM   #9
oneounceload

Quote:
For "all-purpose shotgun" "seeking advice on a good affordable all-purpose choice."

Can't you read?
WOW, there's another braindead child....yes I CAN read, sorry YOU can't..:barf:....too many variables to just say "870"....wow....try again

When he doesn't begin to say WHAT his uses are. then YOU are just ASSuming.....and you fit the bill well.......
Old September 27, 2009, 04:44 PM   #10
inSight-NEO

PAR4-

You may need to be more specific as "all purpose" is far too subjective. Hence, the only answer I can give at this point is to go for a solid 12ga. pump, particularly due to the fact that you are new to shotguns.

I would look at Mossberg or Remington to start with given their availability, marketshare and relatively low cost. There are other quality alternatives out there to be sure (Benelli, Browning, etc.,) but I would start with the prior two and go from there.

That aside, again, you may need to be more specific as to how this gun is intended to be used as "all purpose" is simply too vague when it comes to the world of weaponry, IMHO.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; September 27, 2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old September 27, 2009, 05:32 PM   #11
fisherman66

Quote:
WOW, there's another braindead child....yes I CAN read, sorry YOU can't......too many variables to just say "870"....wow....try again

When he doesn't begin to say WHAT his uses are. then YOU are just ASSuming.....and you fit the bill well.......
The 870 is configurable in so many ways that a newbie can have extra barrels to HD, wingshoot or slug hunt. The stocker Express does most things fair to well. A Perazzi is not even a model of shotgun.

Are you sure you don't need to "try again"?

Feel free to try and DICtate the terms of the discourse. Just don't expect everyone to play your childish games.
Old September 27, 2009, 06:08 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yeah, everyone needs a $20k OU with adjustable comb and a gas charged recoil system for "all purpose" uses... And that fine walnut furniture will likely hold up well when tossed in the bed of the truck to run down a marauding hog or coyote that is after crops or livestock... Yes that is one of the uses of all purpose guns... Yet another is heading off 40 MPH deer in front of the hounds for a quick shot so the gun rides barrel down on the floor board of a 4X4 cutting through the woods at 50mph or more. Then that barrel set will likely hold up real well through a few miserable seasons of waterfowl hunting...
I wonder why I never thought of one of those for all purpose gun... Oh yeah... cause the sound of my mossberg cycling a shell will cause soiled drawers and possibly even make the BG pass out...
Brent
Old September 27, 2009, 06:10 PM   #13
oneounceload

ok moron....let's try this again - we know NOTHING about the OP and his needs.....could be anything......personally, I can do HD and turkey, even deer and especially targets with a Perazzi.....just as easily as you might do it with a870....(except I don't need to change barrels)....so,.......what does your statement prove? Nothing until we learn more from the OP...YOUR version of affordable, and mine and his might be VERY different.....

not childish games.....just having to deal with childish folks like you that can't see past what you have in your closet
Old September 27, 2009, 06:18 PM   #14
Russ5924

I have NEVER found an all purpose shotgun that is why I have many
Old September 27, 2009, 06:24 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
ok moron....
Quote:
just having to deal with childish folks like you that can't see past what you have in your closet
And those that call folks childish names yet call others "Childish" can't see past the MIRROR!!!
Brent
Old September 27, 2009, 06:25 PM   #16
oneounceload

Quote:
Yeah, everyone needs a $20k OU with adjustable comb and a gas charged recoil system for "all purpose" uses... And that fine walnut furniture will likely hold up well when tossed in the bed of the truck to run down a marauding hog or coyote that is after crops or livestock... Yes that is one of the uses of all purpose guns... Yet another is heading off 40 MPH deer in front of the hounds for a quick shot so the gun rides barrel down on the floor board of a 4X4 cutting through the woods at 50mph or more. Then that barrel set will likely hold up real well through a few miserable seasons of waterfowl hunting...
I wonder why I never thought of one of those for all purpose gun... Oh yeah... cause the sound of my mossberg cycling a shell will cause soiled drawers and possibly even make the BG pass out...
Brent
I have seen someone toss an $18K Perazzi in the back of his truck - to him it was no different than you with your Mossberg...so??????and more P guns and K guns last far more for more rounds than your "Remmie" or "Mossy" - some to the tune of 400,000 to over 1,000,000.....so what makes yours more versatile? the fact that it's plastic and cheap?....don't think so

sorry Brent -you're confusing versatile with cheap

I get real sick and tired of folks who think that the only use for a shotgun starts with something plastic, costs about 100 bucks and has a pump....to each his own.....some of you will NEVER get it...OK, I can deal with that - problem is YOU folks can't deal with the other side of that equation
Old September 27, 2009, 06:27 PM   #17
jgcoastie

Hey you two... Way to be inclusive and helpful for the new member...

Par4, a little more information regarding the intended purposes of this gun would go a long way in helping us identify a suitable shotgun for your purposes.

However, there is a plethora of aftermarket barrels and other accessories (some more pricey than others) for the following models and they are time-tested and widely used by many people.

Semi-Auto
Mossberg 930
Remington 11-87
Remmington 1100

Pump-Action
Mossberg 500
Mossberg 590
Remington 870
Benelli Nova/Super Nova

Edit: I put my favorites in bold.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 27, 2009, 06:29 PM   #18
jgcoastie

Quote:
sorry Brent -you're confusing versatile with cheap
And you are confusing affordable with $20K... Refer to the OP:

Quote:
Hi - new to shotguns - seeking advice on a good affordable all-purpose choice. Any suggestions?

Thanks
par4
emphasis added.

I doubt Par4 considers affordable to be in the $20k range... My Tahoe didn't cost me that much...

Compare the cost of one Perrazi to the cost of one Mossberg. Even if my Mossberg doesn't make it to 1,000,000 rounds, I can buy 50 Mossbergs for the cost of one Perrazi. I'd rather save my money and buy a bunch of other guns as I will never in my life shoot 1,000,000 rounds of anything...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Last edited by jgcoastie; September 27, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old September 27, 2009, 06:33 PM   #19
oneounceload

never said 20K, but if that works for you, it works for me....I was thinking more like 1 zero less than that
Quote:
My Tahoe didn't cost me that much...
sorry for you I guess.....
Old September 27, 2009, 06:37 PM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Negatory... I am not confusing versatile with "cheap"... I have never owned a gun that broke or wore out with the exception of a very old wore slap out Ruger .22 revolver.
My Mossberg had a plastic rear stock borrowed from juniors Mav 88 after my wreck that tore up my arm. My gun has never offered the slightest hint that it is "cheap"... Low cost? YES!!! But far from a cheap gun. It is at 10k +/- rounds and no hint it will stop any time soon. My gun is extremely versatile. I have used it on game from dove to deer and it is my HD weapon, kept loaded every minute it is in the home. Never a repair. If I did own a "fine gentleman's gun", I sure wouldn't subject it to the treatment and abuses this mossberg has endured... Crossing on a log over a creek when me and the gun go in the drink... shook out the water and continued on... I reckon I oughta tear it down in the next few months to clean it...
Brent
Old September 27, 2009, 06:41 PM   #21
jmr40

Another vote for the 870. If the OP provides more details I might revise my answer but it is hard to go wrong with the 870 no matter how much, or little money you have.
Old September 27, 2009, 06:41 PM   #22
jgcoastie

Quote:
sorry for you I guess.....
I actually thought $11k for a 2002 Z71 Tahoe with less than 35k miles was a darn good deal three years ago when I bought it...

I hate gun snobs BTW... I've got no problem with people who like expensive guns, I like them myself, but don't try to tell me that a Mossberg won't kill a dove/duck/pheasant/quail/rabbit/squirrel/etc just as dead as a Perrazi that cost 50 times as much...

Just because something costs more doesn't mean it gets the job done any better...

Quote:
never said 20K,
Really?

Quote:
I have seen someone toss an $18K Perazzi in the back of his truck - to him it was no different than you with your Mossberg...so??????
$18k is in the $20k range... When you get to that point, a couple thousand doesn't really matter I guess...

Now let's return to the original purpose of the thread shall we? The part before we started talking about multi-thousand dollar guns for a guy who's looking for one, do-it-all, affordable (for the masses) shotgun...

Last edited by jgcoastie; September 27, 2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old September 27, 2009, 06:42 PM   #23
fisherman66

Mossberg 500
Old September 27, 2009, 06:45 PM   #24
hoytinak

Yep 500 or 870, I just prefer the 500.....next question?
Old September 27, 2009, 06:47 PM   #25
oneounceload

And Brent - I have a Savage/Fox BSE in 20 - been through the mud and muck hunting ducks back when lead was still legal....earned its scrapes hunting chukar in NV (something you flatlanders have NO idea about), would have done the same with a good Spanish SxS had I had one at the time...too many folks here focus on walmart's 199 specials...OK....but you folks need to stop bashing those of us who can actually appreciate something more than a plastic wally world special....and i will forever fight the BS prejudice spouted by folks who have nothing but wealth-envy on their mind