The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 2, 2019, 01:55 PM   #26
rclark

I see the .41Mag as a 'reloader' cartridge if you plan on sticking with it. Just like the .45 Colt and .44 Special.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 2, 2019, 06:40 PM   #27
Brutus

Glad I posted this as you folks have made me re-think this project.
Since the only handgun I've settled on for woods carry is the 45 Colt mountain gun and this purchase would fall in the realm of target shooting I'm thinking a 6" barrel would be the better option. Thanks for all the input.
Old July 2, 2019, 06:58 PM   #28
Chuck Norris

I wish I had my 41 Red hawk back.
Old July 2, 2019, 07:35 PM   #29
Nanuk

I got out of the 41 Magnum in 1991 going to the 44 Magnum and never looked back.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old July 3, 2019, 12:38 AM   #30
41 Magnum

Wouldn't have it any other way !!!

Old July 3, 2019, 08:35 AM   #31
Charlie98

Quote:
Since the only handgun I've settled on for woods carry is the 45 Colt mountain gun and this purchase would fall in the realm of target shooting I'm thinking a 6" barrel would be the better option.
I'm not saying a 4" barrel isn't a good idea, but the idea of a lightweight pistol... well, lighter weight pistol, we are talking N-frame... like the Mountain Gun, wouldn't be the best idea for range pistol shooting full-house Magnum loads. I LOVE both of my 4" .41's... but they only get mid-range loads. I save the full-house stuff for the 6" Dan Wesson... which handles them with ease. It just depends on what you want.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old July 5, 2019, 03:54 PM   #32
jetinteriorguy

The .41 is a great round if your a hand loader. You can load 210-220 grain bullets from .357 mag level up to low 44 mag level and be very versatile. At .357 levels it's still a very affective round and so easy to shoot, but at the high levels it will definitely take care of business. I've been shooting my M57 no dash since the early 80's and my 4" version since I picked it up a couple years ago. I've also been shooting my Henry BBS for about three years now and I chronographed a 210 gr XTP at right over 1600 fps with no over pressure signs and with iron sights at 100 yds on a good day under 4".
Old July 7, 2019, 06:39 PM   #33
Ruger45LC

I really, really like the .41 Magnum and think very highly of it. I don't like to be terribly redundant in my calibers and as such, I can't see that the .41 gives me anything I can't get better from a .44. It's a great caliber though, very versatile.
Old July 8, 2019, 07:45 AM   #34
Charlie98

Quote:
The .41 is a great round if your a hand loader. You can load 210-220 grain bullets from .357 mag level up to low 44 mag level and be very versatile. At .357 levels it's still a very affective round and so easy to shoot, but at the high levels it will definitely take care of business. I've been shooting my M57 no dash since the early 80's and my 4" version since I picked it up a couple years ago. I've also been shooting my Henry BBS for about three years now and I chronographed a 210 gr XTP at right over 1600 fps with no over pressure signs and with iron sights at 100 yds on a good day under 4".
We are in luck! Cast Performance, Montana Bullet Works, and others, make heavy (250, 265grn) cast bullets that are fantastic in the .41, particularly in carbine-length barrels like my Marlin and your Henry. That isn't to say a 210grn .41 moving along at 1600fps isn't a good thing, either!

Old July 10, 2019, 06:34 PM   #35
Real Gun

I had two generations of 657 and found they were too valuable to keep when I preferred to shoot 41 in my Blackhawk Flat Top (single action). For me the 44 Magnum is a different beast. I am happy shooting that in a Super Blackhawk Bisley. My 41 reloads range from cowboy target level to full loads of IMR4227. There is also a fine load with W296 and a Rimrock gas check or XTP.
Old July 10, 2019, 08:16 PM   #36
rodfac

I bought my first Smith M57 in '77 from Lyman's old Blue Trail Range, in Connecticut...back when it was a gun-friendly state with no income tax. While I've never kept a round count on the gun, I'd conservatively estimate that it's seen 10,000 rounds down the tube. It's a 6" bbl'd gun with all the weight that comes with that length in an "N" frame Smith.

I carried it for years in a custom shoulder holster, getting the idea from Clint Eastwood (and if truth be told, one of the movie set guns in the Dirty Harry series, was a Smith M57). It was comfortable to carry that way, and out of the way while doing winter chores. For summer work, I hefted it in a belt holster from El Paso Saddlery and could really feel the sag after a day's tramping though the spruce blow downs while grouse hunting.

Since then I picked up one of the Ruger Flat Top's with a 6-1/2" tube and found again, that the longer barrel was a PITA for everyday carry. Accuracy it had, in spades, but was and is too long to carry on the belt unless on horseback. That lovely piece by Ruger once put 5 through the same hole...less that 5/8" ctr to ctr and with iron sights too, at 25 yds. My eyes have gone south since then and it'll never be repeated. The load was built up from Lyman's 410459 at 220 gr's, cast from wheel weights & launched a smidge over 1000 fps with an appropriate dose of Win 231.

Later, I found an "as new" 3-screw Ruger with a long sought after 4-5/8" bbl; it's a 4 digit gun with superb accuracy. The same aforementioned load does nearly as well through it as it does in the longer bbl'd Smith and Ruger, and I confess that I much prefer the SA's response to heavier full house prescriptions. I pack it often here on the farm when doing chores and it's been called on to put down some of our stock that needed that final act of mercy.

All in all, the .41 is a superb caliber...a handloader's proposition to be sure, but ranks with the .44 Special for ease of finding an accurate load. If you don't load your own, and do own a .41, you're missing out on some of it's versatility.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 11, 2019, 12:07 AM   #37
Stargater53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Well Stargater53 I want one because I don't have one.
Well, I can't fault you for that!

Years ago, I read an article about a cop who had a hot .41. He shot it at a fleeing felon, and it had a superb effect. It punched through the van he was shooting at, through some odds and ends in the trunk, then through the seats and cushions of the passenger's side and, fortunately for them, no one was there. But the penetration was awesome -- and I don't use the idiom lightly!

--
Old July 11, 2019, 07:57 AM   #38
Charlie98

Quote:
That lovely piece by Ruger once put 5 through the same hole...less that 5/8" ctr to ctr and with iron sights too, at 25 yds.
I had that S&W Classic 657 for a while... I had to send it back to S&W because the barrel and forcing cone looked like it was cut with a hacksaw. Smith turned it down and when I got it back the first 6 rounds down the tube went into one hole at 25yds. It was incredible.

Old July 11, 2019, 11:50 AM   #39
Wyosmith

I like the 41 magnum.
When I was a younger man I owned 2 S&W M58s at 2 different times, and also I was issued a M58 on 2 occasions when I was doing consultant work in Central and South America.
I never owned a 41 with adjustable sights and never used one either, but when I used those four 41 magnums above I never had any need or desire for them either. All guns shot to the point of aim or very close to it anyway. All were super smooth and VERY accurate.

My own 2 were shot nearly 100% of the time with hand loaded ammo using Remington brass and 20 grains of 2400 with a Lyman 410459 bullet of 220 grains.

The ammo I was given for the other two M58s was a combination of Remington (with 2 different bullets) and some Mexican made stuff, as well as a few rounds of some that was Argentine or Brazilian, but today I don't remember which. The "issue" was more like an after thought on my last time out. "Here, you'd better carry this" was what the captain said and handed me the S&W in a holster, and then he gave me a paper bag of mixed ammo with 16 rounds. Enough to load the gun 2 times and an extra 4 rounds. Most of it was mismatched. In all that ammo I was only abbe to get 5 rounds together that were the same. So I was not able to load the entire cylinder with 6 rounds of the same stuff.
But considering new things went, I was VERY glad to have both the gun and the ammo.
Old July 11, 2019, 01:56 PM   #40
22-rimfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Went to the range this morning and lo and behold a 6" Smith 41 was on display in the used gun rack. Asked to look it over and as soon as I got it in my hands and flipped it over, there it was the damn Hillary hole. Cross that one off the list.
I have a 4" Nickel M57 (as-new) without the Hillary hole that I would sell for a fair price if you're interested. I have a 4" Mountain Gun that I shoot the most and my old 8 3/8" that I love. Never shot the nickel one.
Old July 28, 2019, 10:32 PM   #41
DWFan

Leadheads makes superb .41 caliber bullets...
https://www.proshootpro.com/secure/OrderForm.aspx
Old July 29, 2019, 03:44 AM   #42
silvermane_1

Yeah i kick myself for not buying a 41 mag when i had the chance, also the 41 mag is the "happy medium" between the 357 and 44 mags.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old July 31, 2019, 03:34 PM   #43
claydoctor

If you are a reloader, you're OK. I am not. Bought a really nice Blackhawk in 41 mag a few years back. Bought a box of shells and headed for the range. After the first cylinderful, I said to myself, this is no fun ! Since there was no factory lesser load like there is with .357 mag and .44 mag and I don't reload, sold it.
Old July 31, 2019, 04:01 PM   #44
gwpercle

I passed up a chance to buy a 41 magnum Ruger Blackhawk , Dirty Harry had come out, everyone and their brother including me wanted the most powerful handgun on earth , the gun was sitting in the dealers case , and all that was showing on the tag was $150.00 and cal. 4.....the rest was hidden. When the dealer pulled it out for me to look at I saw it said cal. 41 Magnum ... not knowing what a 41 mag. was and thinking I wanted a 44 magnum , I didn't buy it ! I regret not buying it to this day.... three screw 41 magnum Blackhawks are sweet . I was a dumb kid influenced by the movies !
I did get a S&W model 58 , 41 magnum , shortly there after and learned about them . I reload and cast bullets to make it extremely versatile .
Older and wiser now ,
Gary
Old August 1, 2019, 02:02 PM   #45
SIGSHR

I had my 4" M-57 for 10 years before I fired a factory round out of it.
Old August 1, 2019, 08:51 PM   #46
rodfac

Here's a pic of my 3-screw Ruger in .41 Mag. It's a fairly recent addition to the clan, and by far, the easiest to carry all day here on the farm. It was a GB buy, in about 95%+ condition when I bought it. Superb condition I think you'll agree for a 1966 built single action.

It's accurate to sub-2" gps at 25 yds, short bbl'd for ease of carry & with that famous early 3-screw action, it's a joy to have by my side mounted or afoot.

I carry it in my home built rendition of the old Tom Threepersons open top, fitted tight enough to eliminate the need for a thong.

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; August 1, 2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old August 8, 2019, 11:57 AM   #47
Gulfcowboy

I too have longed for this round after hearing the tales of great accuracy, light recoil. I just cant seem to part with the money for a round I can't find locally. That being said I own a 22 hornet, and have my eye on a ruger lcr in 327 Federal.
Old August 8, 2019, 12:51 PM   #48
claydoctor

Whoever told you the recoil was light....don't buy a used car from that person.
Old August 8, 2019, 01:21 PM   #49
Gulfcowboy

Let me correct myself. Lighter recoiling than a 44 mag.
Old August 8, 2019, 02:01 PM   #50
SIGSHR

Can't say I have felt the difference, like saying 80 degrees is cooler than 90.