The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 14, 2018, 12:32 PM   #1
kmw1954

Northbrook Illinois assault weapons ban

After the flack I received on the last post I wasn't going to share but here is a story that was printed by the Chicago Tribune regarding the assault weapon ban in Northbrook Illinois.

Also as to the other post I have since been told the those other restrictions were being passed around as possible wish lists by a Mayors organization and were not actual measures trying to be passed as laws. But they are someone ideas as to where to go next.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/ef07557...6apos%3Bs.html
Old June 19, 2018, 09:19 AM   #2
MarkA

I really enjoyed these two quotes:

Quote:
“I want to protect our kids. Right now, anybody can walk into our schools,” said Northbrook resident Boris Pazi. “You really need to focus on that. Instead of focusing on the law-abiding citizens, let’s focus on trying to stop people who actually have intent to commit harm.”
...spoken by someone with a measurable IQ

Quote:
“I think you know how the community feels about this issue. They are saying, unequivocally, to you ‘please do something,’ ” Northbrook resident JoJo Hebl said. “I implore you to do whatever you can and do it soon.”
...spoken by someone who's comfortable in their ignorance as a sheep.

The obvious polarization of opinion isn't going anywhere. Unfortunately, even the opinions of those who can't think for themselves are counted; there's no gauge for that (even though there should be).
Old June 19, 2018, 09:51 AM   #3
TXAZ

This just in (TFL News service)
Northbrook town council finally came to their senses, realized that guns, not people kill people, as do vehicles, not drunks. So do other weapons of mass destruction, all listed on the FBI's "Expanded Homicide Database"

As a result, Northbrook will be be adding all of the weapons listed on the FBI database to their "Assault Weapon Ban" list, including:
Knives and cutting instruments
Blunt objects including all clubs and hammers
Personal weapons including hands, fists and feet
Poison
Explosives
Fire
Narcotics
Water (used in drownings)
Ropes, twine, cables or wires
Plastic of any type including any item containing plastic

As a result, the carpenters union heralded the ban as a step forward, where Local 1895 president Jimmy Smith said "This is great, eliminating hammers will easily double the time it takes to frame a building!".
Further, the council's common-sense based ban includes "ALL CLUBS OF ANY TYPE". When outside counsel reviewed the passed legislation, they noted that dance clubs, night clubs, fraternal clubs, Boy Scouts, Camp Fire and the Senior Center Club must all close. When told the Senior Center was closing for safety reasons to make Northbrook the safest place in the US, 93 year old Ima Mae Lufkin said, "I guess that's ok if we are all safer, I just don't know what I'll do."

In addition, Northbrook will be removing DUI as a criminal offense against the driver, instead charging the vehicle not the driver in the future.

We can all sleep better knowing that Northbrook just legislated all murder away.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 19, 2018, 11:40 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Unfortunately, even the opinions of those who can't think for themselves are counted; there's no gauge for that (even though there should be).
While this seems like common sense, its actually one of the worst things you can do.

Think about it.

Certainly the world would be a better place if I didn't have to count the voice of any, and every one who disagreed with me. If I'm a politician, that would include the voice of anyone who wanted me out of office...(for ANY reason)

The ruling class, being able to define who has a voice in government (and how much of one) is one of the fundamental pillars of despotism.

All well and good for you or I, if we are one of what the rulers consider the "right" people (except really, its not...)
BUT, what if we aren't???

What if we're not what the ruling class considers ideologically pure (or racially pure), or what ever standards they set??

Don't ever forget the message in Pastor Niemoellers poem, which is that if we allow them to do it to others, they will do it to us.
Old June 19, 2018, 12:23 PM   #5
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Unfortunately, even the opinions of those who can't think for themselves are counted; there's no gauge for that (even though there should be).
Unfortunately people who can't think for themselves aren't in short supply. I recall one time when a person said that the rich should pay their fair share. I asked who exactly are the "rich" and what exactly is a "fair" share. His only response to that was that I must belong to "x" political party as if that was some mark of shame. Besides not being able to measure people who can't think for themselves, the U.S. Constitution doesn't prohibit people from voting, for example because they don't put much thought into it.
Old June 19, 2018, 01:10 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The Massachusetts (state) Supreme Court just torpedoed a proposed new revision to their (state) tax code that would have imposed a surcharge tax on millionaires. The court killed it based on a technicality (the proposal actually included two proposals, which could have been separate questions but weren't, and that's not allowed in MA), but it begs the question:

The impetus for the proposal was to have the "rich" pay "their fair share." The Massachusetts state income tax is a flat rate -- 5.x percent. So how is it in any way NOT fair for someone who makes ten times as much money to pay ten times as much tax? How is it any any way "fair" to draw a line and say "Up to here you pay 5.x percent, go beyond this and you pay 10 percent"?

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; June 20, 2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old June 20, 2018, 12:23 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

As much as we all love them, unless its a gun tax of some kind, taxes are off topic here.
Old June 20, 2018, 03:05 PM   #8
kmw1954

As a reference for those not local if you were to look at a map and locate Lake Michigan you will find on the western side of the lake is Chicago and then you would also see that there are two counties along the Lake; Cook and Lake. Lake county extends all the way up to the Wisconsin border. North of the state line is Kenosha County Wisconsin to which I live in the far western side.

Northbrook is only about 40 minutes to the state line and just over 1 hour from me. This is way too close!!!! If the wife didn't have such a good job I would be thinking of heading further north to escape the Illinois politics and sanctuaries.