The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 22, 2019, 12:40 AM   #1
TruthTellers

Fixed my gen 1 Charter, pics inside

Had an issue with a vintage Charter I won on auction, the cylinder wouldn't open all the way and wouldn't rotate once opened.

There was too much metal on that round shiny area. I'm not really sure what function this part of a revolver serves, some revolvers have it and some don't. My guess is, depending on the design, some revolvers have cylinders that are not captured by a snap ring or retaining ring and can be removed from the crane unless there's something attached to the frame of the revolver to prevent that.

Whatever the case, somebody at the factory 40 years ago didn't bother to check and see if that was within specifications. NBD, it's an easy fix.

Here's the damage done:

All fixed now, opens easy and cleanly, no contact with that area now, and the cylinder rotates freely.

I'm relaxing and taking pride in my work now. As you can tell, I have discriminating taste.

I really like these vintage Charters made before 1990. Now all I need to do is find some wood grips for the 4 inch model because that rubber Pachmyer grip is all sorts of heavy and uncomfortable. The wood grips on the 6 inch make if feel light as air and made it look good.

So, does anybody know if the wood grips on the current Charters will fit on the vintage models? If so, I'll be ordering some soon.
Old July 26, 2019, 07:08 AM   #2
Buckeye!

All Charter Grips work on all Charter revolvers.... From the smallest to their new XL Frame
Old July 26, 2019, 03:10 PM   #3
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye! View Post
All Charter Grips work on all Charter revolvers.... From the smallest to their new XL Frame
Across all generations? A 1960s grip would fit on a modern made Charter?
Old July 26, 2019, 03:54 PM   #4
Buckeye!

Brand new Charter Bulldog 6 shot 38spl with old style grip panels from a small 5 shot 38

Ive owned Charters for 30 + years and own 5 now

Last edited by Buckeye!; July 26, 2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old July 27, 2019, 11:06 PM   #5
osbornk

I bought my first Charter Arms a couple of months ago. After I shot it 17 times, the cylinder locked up and I wouldn't turn and the trigger wouldn't cock. I immediately called them and they sent me a box to mail it back to me. They said they would have it back to me within 10 business days of when they received it. They received it on a Wednesday, fixed it on Thursday and I got it back on Monday. When I got it back, I looked at what they did to repair it and I felt stupid. After I had shot it 17 times, I decided to adjust the sight because it was shooting low for me. I apparently turned the sight screw the wrong way and too far or the screw was a little wrong. The sight adjustment screw had locked up the cylinder. If I had only remembered what I did, I could have corrected the problem in seconds. I have shot it a couple of thousand rounds or more since I got it back (22 Pathfinder) and it has performed perfectly.
Old July 29, 2019, 07:49 AM   #6
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
I bought my first Charter Arms a couple of months ago. After I shot it 17 times, the cylinder locked up and I wouldn't turn and the trigger wouldn't cock. I immediately called them and they sent me a box to mail it back to me. They said they would have it back to me within 10 business days of when they received it. They received it on a Wednesday, fixed it on Thursday and I got it back on Monday. When I got it back, I looked at what they did to repair it and I felt stupid. After I had shot it 17 times, I decided to adjust the sight because it was shooting low for me. I apparently turned the sight screw the wrong way and too far or the screw was a little wrong. The sight adjustment screw had locked up the cylinder. If I had only remembered what I did, I could have corrected the problem in seconds. I have shot it a couple of thousand rounds or more since I got it back (22 Pathfinder) and it has performed perfectly.
what????
Old July 29, 2019, 08:24 AM   #7
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
what????
I know! Stupid but they didn't make fun and fixed it quickly for me.
Old July 29, 2019, 05:06 PM   #8
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
I know! Stupid but they didn't make fun and fixed it quickly for me.
I wasn't making fun of you. my surprise is to how a rear sight adjustment screw can do ANYTHING to the cylinder.
Old July 29, 2019, 05:53 PM   #9
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
I wasn't making fun of you. my surprise is to how a rear sight adjustment screw can do ANYTHING to the cylinder.
I’m guessing the sight adjustment screw moves vertically through the top strap. Turn it down too far and the end of the screw contacts the cylinder.

Jim
Old July 30, 2019, 07:42 PM   #10
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonj1 View Post
I’m guessing the sight adjustment screw moves vertically through the top strap. Turn it down too far and the end of the screw contacts the cylinder.

Jim
Yep