The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 11, 2020, 09:41 PM   #26
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
I loaded some 150 Hornadys for a friend in 1973 because "my deer are running off". He killed 5 with 6 shots, but always cussed at me for how explosive they were. I was loading them for his old 721 at 2600fps. Weatherby loaded Hornadys in their ammo for years because of their explosiveness.
Yep. Wby loads the interlock in the 6 5x300. I call it a baby bomb. And wby has also historically loaded a lot of bonded Norma. Those bullets are tough as nails. They expand decent but they are not coming apart.
Old September 12, 2020, 12:45 AM   #27
bamaranger

tipped

Seems I've read that plastic/poly tipped bullets intended for for game shooting suffer deformation at long range due to air friction. I've also read that at conventional hunting distances, say to 300 yds, that a sloppy lead tip won't make much difference in whitetail accuracy. Seems too I've read that the rear of the bullet lends itself to accuracy more than the tip. I've not tested any of that myself, but do take tip deformed cartridges and relegate them to practice as their appearance makes me doubt their accuracy.

Hornady sells the ultra expensive A-Max Match, which I believe has a metal tip. Another metal tipped bullet that comes to mind is the old Remingtn Bronze Point. There were fellas in my area that swore by them in .270/130.
Old September 12, 2020, 11:15 AM   #28
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Seems I've read that plastic/poly tipped bullets intended for for game shooting suffer deformation at long range due to air friction. I've also read that at conventional hunting distances, say to 300 yds, that a sloppy lead tip won't make much difference in whitetail accuracy. Seems too I've read that the rear of the bullet lends itself to accuracy more than the tip. I've not tested any of that myself, but do take tip deformed cartridges and relegate them to practice as their appearance makes me doubt their accuracy.

Hornady sells the ultra expensive A-Max Match, which I believe has a metal tip. Another metal tipped bullet that comes to mind is the old Remingtn Bronze Point. There were fellas in my area that swore by them in .270/130.
They found through doppler testing that the polymer tips were melting. Dont think it ever effected accuracy. Now the materials dont melt, supposedly.
Old September 13, 2020, 04:01 PM   #29
Jack O'Conner

I topple pronghorn antelope at long range with my .243 loaded the SST bullet. Always a ghastly wound channel through the lungs. My closest shot was about 275 yards.

Jack
Old September 14, 2020, 03:59 PM   #30
bamaranger

melting

I'm thinking that was a "Rifleman" article introducing the Hornady ELD-X bullet. The melting effected some aspect of the flight, whether accuracy or "drop" I cannot recall.

Intended for shorter ranges, I think the SST still utilizes a conventional plastic tip.
Old September 14, 2020, 04:12 PM   #31
Double K

Wondering what velocity standard sst tips experience deformation or melting.

When Nosler ballistic tips were first introduced in 6.5 120gr{long time ago!} anecdotal evidence from observed trajectory differences between it and the 125 partition were significant, didn't seem like they were suffering any damage in fact I found one under the hide just inside the entrance hole once on a deer that looked perfect. That was from a full bore 264 win mag load.
Old September 15, 2020, 05:23 PM   #32
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K View Post
Wondering what velocity standard sst tips experience deformation or melting.

When Nosler ballistic tips were first introduced in 6.5 120gr{long time ago!} anecdotal evidence from observed trajectory differences between it and the 125 partition were significant, didn't seem like they were suffering any damage in fact I found one under the hide just inside the entrance hole once on a deer that looked perfect. That was from a full bore 264 win mag load.
The Nosler Ballistic tip is not in any way comparable to the Partition. Totally different shape. The ballistic tip and the Solid Base were the same shape, same b.c. bullet.
Old September 15, 2020, 05:25 PM   #33
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
I'm thinking that was a "Rifleman" article introducing the Hornady ELD-X bullet. The melting effected some aspect of the flight, whether accuracy or "drop" I cannot recall.

Intended for shorter ranges, I think the SST still utilizes a conventional plastic tip.
First place I heard it was in an eldx add.
Old September 28, 2020, 01:01 PM   #34
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
The Interlock is an old school cup and core bullet with exposed lead tip with a small ring inside the base of the jacket that holds onto the core. They work pretty well, but they are not real high BC bullets. I used to use them 30+ years ago. Not a bad bullet. I have killed a number of pretty good deer with Interlocks.

The Hornady SST is a more modern design plastic tipped, high BC cup and core bullet without a locking ring. They fly really well, and open up really fast. I would hesitate to use them on anything larger than smallish deer (in fact, I wouldn't use them on deer, I prefer penetration over grenades for deer), but I have customers who love them (deer on the coast in WA are pretty small). For a smallish rifle caliber, I would opt for a sturdy bullet, not a violent upset bullet. 30 cal and above they might be fine since you are slinging a pretty heavy chunk of metal.
30yrs ago? Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know when the interlock came about. I'm thinking you started with the Hornady Spire Point then at some point they added the interlock ring. Been using Hornady cup and core with exposed lead tip for a lot of years. have never felt inclined to use a bullet with a plastic tip on big game. I figure that tip has to go some where on impact and I figure right back into the bullet, speeding up expansion. But if for some reason I was to use a monolithic bullet, it would have to have that tip, help's initiate expansion!

Last edited by Don Fischer; September 30, 2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old September 28, 2020, 04:46 PM   #35
GeauxTide

In an old Speer manual, they advise against using cup and core bullets at impact velocities of 3000fps or more. I can attest 2 deer killed with my 7mmRM loads of 145 Hot Core at 3160 were bombs. At 65 and 100 yards, they eviscerated 125# deer. They advised Grand Slam. I killed a 120# doe last year at 127 measured yards with a 308/165GS bullet at 2600. High lung shot that blew the deer over with a 1/2" exit. I've changed out all my 280 and 7mmRM SST loads with Interbonds.
Old September 29, 2020, 10:04 AM   #36
BJung

GeauxTide. Do you need to phone the manufacturer to obtain an impact velocity limit. For the whole time I've shot high power rifles I've heard hunters complain of the Sierra SMK bullets separating. I am guessing that most hunters and reloaders assume all bullets are the same and load Sierras too hot. Instead, a lower charge is required at a short range or shots at a long distance when the impact velocity has dropped.
Old September 29, 2020, 05:17 PM   #37
mikejonestkd

Quote:
I've heard hunters complain of the Sierra SMK bullets separating.
The Sierra Match king is not a hunting bullet. The fault lies with the hunter choosing poorly, not any fault of the bullet design.
From their website" While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications."

Sierra makes the Game King bullet specifically for hunting.

Last edited by mikejonestkd; September 29, 2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old September 29, 2020, 06:38 PM   #38
BJung

My apologies. I was referring to the SGK, Game King
Old September 30, 2020, 04:17 PM   #39
Don Fischer

I had the same problem with Sierra hunting bullet's, pre Game King. But choosing a bullet especially a cup and core it is vital to choose a proper bullet. That 145gr Hot Core in a 7mm mag failing doesn't surprise me at all! When I shot a 7mm mag, many years ago, I was after velocity too but those lighter bullet's simply failed! I found that at somewhere just under 3000fps bullet's held together much better. Well 3000 fp and heavier bullet. The bullet I used was the Speer Hot /core 160gr bullet and it was a super bullet! I read years ago that the beauty of a magnum was delivering extraordinary power at normal range, not normal power at extraordinary range. It occurred to me at some point that the best bullet's in magnum cartridges were heavy for caliber bullet's. For a long time hunter's have leaned toward lighter bullet's to get what the felt was better trajectory for longer ranges. I find that a mistake. At some point bullet drop doesn't mean squat anymore and the thing that deliver's is the ability of the shooter. Something else about heavier bullet's, at truly long range they catch up with the lighter bullet in velocity and penetrate better with their weight.
Old September 30, 2020, 06:05 PM   #40
Double K

I've shot 6.5's and 7mm's on game for 40+ years, in my experience Nosler bt's kill deer faster and more reliably than any of the Hornady's, I'm not anti Hornady by any means I love the V-max. The problem is some guns prefer Hornady over Nosler in accuracy. Case in point, I load the Hornady 129 sst for my new 6.5 prc because it's really accurate, made a perfect behind the shoulder shot on a deer with it last year inside 200yds and he ran 40yds, I've seen 50 deer drop in there tracks from a 140 Nosler bt at that range. One shot is hardly a good sample but that was not what I was hoping for from that bullet. I had the same experience with a 260, one might think the extra 300fps velocity would change that.

Same with Sierra, I shoot thousands of them at steel silhouettes but would never use them on live game especially matchkings.
Old October 1, 2020, 11:18 AM   #41
GeauxTide

Burbank, Speer posted the advice in #13 in the 7mm Remington data writeup. They advised against the 145gr and lighter bullets for small game only. The 160 and 175 Hot Core could not be loaded to 3000fps in that manual. Seeing the performance of the 30-165 Grand Slam convinced me.