The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 25, 2001, 06:35 PM   #1
Benjamin

870 ID question

New gun! Yes!!

This is a wingmaster 870, serial 537XXX V
28" plain full, in very respectable condition.

The most interesting bit about it, for me, was the stock - I have never seen one in this style.

There is also a diamond of this nature on the bottom of the pistol grip, and a series of smaller diamonds laid into the end of the buttstock - 7 on each flat, and one on the top face (side oriented up when in firing positon).

If the picture refuses to load, it can also be seen @
http://www.geocities.com/suketh.geo/870.htm

The forend is of similar wood. It is not checkered; it has a series of vertical grooves cut into it to form a series of rings.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Benjamin; June 26, 2001 at 08:06 PM.
Old June 29, 2001, 10:35 PM   #2
Benjamin

btt - anyone?
Old June 30, 2001, 06:36 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Benjamin, i cannot get either pic nor URL to work, but that might be my equipment.

From the description, you've an aftermarket stock on a standard field grade 870.

Early 870s had forearms like that, sometimes people call them Corncob or Ringtail forends.

Sounds like a beauty, enjoy!
Old June 30, 2001, 06:43 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Benjamin:

Difficult to really determine and make a positive identification, however, from what I can determine, from the photograph,:

The lines cut in this stock do not appear to be factory nor professionally cut. There is inconsistancy in the depth of the cut, the lines are not evenly spaced nor are they consistant in curveature. Additionally, it appears that the stock had been sanded after cutting the lines.

The picture is somewhat dark, and I am not sure, but to me it looked like there is a military type sling swival on the stock. In most cases military slings were mounted toward the butt end of the stock. This one would indicate to me that it was placed there by a previous owner.

The appearance of the wood appears to be linseed oil finished and appears old. Based upon the photo and your description I would "guesstimate" that this is an after market stock, possibly Fajen, refit and finished by an inexperienced stock maker. I can say this, it was not completed at the factory by Remington.

You didn't mention what the inlay pieces were made of. Wood, plastic material, but that also is inconsistant with a Remington Product. As for the forearm, that also sounds after market and done by an inexperienced stock maker?

To boil it all down, from the photo and description, you have a mixed matched semi-finished butt stock and with possibly a modified factory forearm.

HJN