The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2013, 06:16 PM   #1
alancac98

Anyone use Sierra's 170 gr FN in 30-30?

I need to load up some 30-30 shells (my brother usually does it, but I'm starting up). He used Hornady's 170 gr. FN, but they shot really slow compared to Remington Core-lokts. It may have been the powder he used and how much of it, and unfortunately I never really used them to take a deer to see how they worked on deer, but I have been considering loading some of the Sierra FN 170s. Can anyone tell me what you have noticed with the bullet on medium deer sized game? Thanks in advance.
Old December 4, 2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Rifletom

I've only used the Hornady 170's and with pretty good results. The powder I use is either Win 748 or REL #15. What powder did your brother use? But, to try and answer your question, the Sierra ought to work. Which Sierra?
Old December 4, 2013, 08:30 PM   #3
alancac98

I think I figured out why it seemed "slow". He used 29gr of IMR4064. 30 gr is max on that powder but only pushes it to a little over 1900 FPS. Remington Core Lokts push the 170 gr. at 2200 fps. He also used Win 748, but I don't think I ever had any of those loads. I think I'll try both to see which one my rifle likes best. Start low and go higher shooting 5 shots of each load to see best results (best group). I wish companies made "sample" size packs of 20 or 25, so you don't have to get 100 of them to try in your rifle.
Old December 4, 2013, 08:35 PM   #4
alancac98

The Sierra is a 170gr FN in the Pro Hunter. Made specifically for 30-30 velocities, and Hogdon used it in their data tables to show powder charges, velocities, and pressures.
Old December 5, 2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Pathfinder45

Ummm.... Yeah....

OK, I'll play. So, I've got an older 30-30 and it's become a new favorite. I shoot it a lot. Mostly handloads; mostly 170 grain, and a fair amount of hand-cast. I've used several different powders, mostly with good results. There are some well rated powders that I haven't tried, like IMR-3031 and the whole Reloder series. However, from what I have tried, I think it's safe to say this: The most popular and excellent double-base ball powder is Winchester 748. MY current favorite single-base stick powder is IMR-4895. A very close substitute is H-4895. If you are going to load up a bunch of rounds for long term storage, go single-base. On the other hand, if you want consistent metering of thrown charges for fast loading, go with ball powder. Again, the standard there is Winchester 748. That being said, if maximum velocity within safe pressure limits is a high priority, then look for and acquire some Hodgdon's BL-C(2). It looks just like 748 but will give you just a little more velocity at less pressure. If I'm buying new powder, those are my top choices. But since I'm a sucker for great deals at the gun shows, I have tried and will try others. I had good results with IMR-4320. If you have a 30-'06, IMR-4064 should work very well for both. If you do get some Hodgdon's BL-C(2); use magnum primers for the most consistent results.
Old December 5, 2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Rifletom

Pathfinder45, thanks for reminding to mention BL-C[2]. That is a great powder for the 30-30! That was a powder I used early on, but went with RL#15 as the accuracy in my Mod 94 stayed put. But,yeah, BL-C[2] is a good one.
Old December 7, 2013, 12:35 AM   #7
Mule

For more velocity, try the Sierra 125 gr FPHP. My Marlin loves it. Accuracy is excellant. Terminal performance on Missouri whitetails has been awesome. Loading with Accurate 2200 powder.
Old December 7, 2013, 01:28 AM   #8
wrm

It's the only bullet my Marlin 336 likes.

I clock 'em at 2300 fps using a local powder that's close to 3031.

Shot two springbok with that load, first one was a neck shot and it went straight down, the second was a bit low, broke both front legs and clipped the bottom of the heart, that buck ran 50m on two legs.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:31 AM   #9
bull bob

I have used the 170 gr. Sierra's with good results on both deer and hogs. Not a lot, but a few times. In fact my nephew's first hog was shot with a 170 gr. sierra from one of my 30-30 loads. Perfect shot and a dead hog.

The 125 gr. HPs I have only used on a couple of woodchucks.
Old December 9, 2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Real Gun

Quote:
I need to load up some 30-30 shells (my brother usually does it, but I'm starting up). He used Hornady's 170 gr. FN, but they shot really slow compared to Remington Core-lokts. It may have been the powder he used and how much of it, and unfortunately I never really used them to take a deer to see how they worked on deer, but I have been considering loading some of the Sierra FN 170s. Can anyone tell me what you have noticed with the bullet on medium deer sized game? Thanks in advance.
Could be a little more objective or pseudo-scientific here. The weight of the bullet being the same and reasonable shape comparison, there must be something else, like the load as you mentioned, that would cause shooting "slow" from the same gun. You don't seem to have arrived at the point of abandoning a bullet or brand.
Old December 9, 2013, 07:53 PM   #11
histed

I've shot 170 Sierra out of a Winchester 94 for over 20 years. Tried a great many powders, including all of the ones already mentioned. I've had good results with IMR 3031 (classic 30-30 powder). Took a very nice 8 point years back with that load. Hit him in the neck and he went less than 20 yards. At the moment I'm using H335, which work well, and I've tried LeveRevolution - wasn't happy with the accuracy from that. I have no chronograph, so I can't give you speeds.
Old December 9, 2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Paul B.

The .38 Spl. was the first centerfire cartridge I handloaded and the 30-30 was a very close second. Powder was IMR 3031 and the the bullet was the 170 gr. Sierra flat point. At that time, 1954 for the .38 and probably late 1954 or early 1955, I don't exactly remember for the 30-30. Took more than a few deer with that bullet, at least until I learned about casting bullets for rifles. Was already doing it for the .38. Sierra back then was located in Southern California and their bullets were less expensive that Speer of Hornady at that time, at least in San Francisco. FWIW, back then they didn't call their bulets Pro-Hunters or Game Kings. It wasn't until around 1985 that one of my Sierra manuals even used the term Game-King so I would asume it was sometime in the 80's that the terms Pro-Hunter and Game King came into use. It may have been a bit earlier but I'm not sure.
No matter, that 170 gr. Pro-Hunter is an accurate bullet and kills deer quite well.
Paul B.
Old December 10, 2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Real Gun

Quote:
I've shot 170 Sierra out of a Winchester 94 for over 20 years. Tried a great many powders, including all of the ones already mentioned. I've had good results with IMR 3031 (classic 30-30 powder). Took a very nice 8 point years back with that load. Hit him in the neck and he went less than 20 yards.

At the moment I'm using H335, which work well, and I've tried LeveRevolution - wasn't happy with the accuracy from that. I have no chronograph, so I can't give you speeds.
While Hornady's book lists LeverEvolution and its wide range of velocity capabilities for their 30-30 bullets, they still acknowledged in their summary that WIN748 gave the best results (in their test rifle, Win 94, 20" barrel).

Their round nose 150g Interlock does not list a load for LeverEvolution, staying with Win748 and others, while the 140g and 160g FTX bullets do and are represented as giving the guns in this caliber a longer range effectiveness.

According to the data, it looks to me like the H335 mentioned here would be a good alternative choice.

Last edited by Real Gun; December 10, 2013 at 04:03 PM.