The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 5, 2012, 12:48 PM   #26
mohr308

Jimro

Gotcha, I also prefer the winchester brass for my .308. If there was to be a next time I get pmc's 223 brass I will weigh it against the stuff I have here.
Old July 5, 2012, 01:08 PM   #27
eldorendo

He probably has the seating die mal-adjusted and has buckled the shoulders on some of the brass. No need for the crimp die for .223 for AR.
Old July 22, 2012, 08:46 PM   #28
Starting_Out

2nd related question

Okay, I followed the posted instructions for the seating and resizing die and loaded a few dummy rounds that cycle perfectly. Apparently the instructions with the dies are useles. I'm not sure which fixed it but it seems to be fixed.

I now have a new question: I disassembled the ammo I had made that did not work and noticed most of the primers have a small dimple (from being chambered and cycled I'm guessing). I know (or at least think I do) that a small dimple is normal with the floating firing pin. However, a few have a larger dimple and I'm wondering:

1) Should I be worried about slam-fires?
2) Can I reuse this primer?

The primers are CCI #400 SRPs. I'm guessing them not full chambering the first time may have caused a harder strike than normal.

The pictures are of the two worst dimples. The others were much fainter, like a tiny pin prick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dimpled Primer.JPG (114.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Dimpled Primers.JPG (102.4 KB, 26 views)
Old July 22, 2012, 10:23 PM   #29
mohr308

CCI makes a special primer for AR's with the floating pin, CCI #41, Thats what I use. I switched from the 400's and only had to rework my load's a little, was almost identical. You are more likely to get a slam fire with a normal primer, but they are not very common, BUT you should always be aware that they can happen and always load your first round with your barrel pointing down! Check out CCI's website and lookup those primers.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...s/default.aspx
So after I posted this I looked at your pics, are you using PMC brass? I was, then switched to LC, because PMC's flash holes are not always centered with the primer hole.
Old July 24, 2012, 04:28 PM   #30
Edward429451

Remington 7-1/2 primers are also mil spec and intended for use in ARs. Easier to find than the CCIs in my neck of the woods and work fine.
Old July 25, 2012, 11:36 PM   #31
Starting_Out

The brass I'm using is mostly Federal but some asorted range pick-ups are in there too. I saw the harder primers for 5.56 when I was ordering the primers but everything I read online said I didn't need them. My main question is can I re-use those primers as long as I don't cycle them again? Also does it look like a slam-fire was barely avoided or is that more normal? I noticed the others had MUCH smaller dimples. These two may have been the two that stuck in the chamber the most.
Old July 26, 2012, 06:37 AM   #32
mehavey

Do not use the primers again. False economy when the consequences of a now-sensitized primer
is weighed against the pennies it costs.

Others may disagree -- but standard CCI's are considered "good enough" for AR work.

SLAMFIRE: your thoughts?
Old July 26, 2012, 09:50 AM   #33
tobnpr

I agree- CCI's are comparatively hard primers. I use them exclusively in every rifle.
We use the 450 small magnum primers in my son's AR-15 and have never had an issue...

Far as the light primer strikes, check your FP; make sure it moves freely. Clean if necessary. If that doesn't solve the problem I'd replace it, cheap enough.
Old July 26, 2012, 10:18 AM   #34
HJ857

I agree about using a case/cartridge/headspace gauge. But I don't recommend the Wilson.

A similar gauge from JP Rifles will do the same thing as the Wilson but is cut to match a .223 Wylde chamber and can be used to test both your re-sizing (like the Wilson) as well as testing a fully assembled round (which the Wilson will not necessarily do). If a finished round fits in the JP gauge, it WILL chamber and extract properly in your AR.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPCG-223
Old July 26, 2012, 01:13 PM   #35
oldpapps

I would start with the simplest thing first.

Completely re-set the die set, following the included instructions to the letter.

Step through one casing, from start to finish, check chambering and extraction after each step. If you don't clear the problem with the re-setting of the dies, you will know what step the problem occurs.

My first thought is during the seating of the bullet, the case is being forced back and swelling at or near the shoulder. It must not be much as repeated chambering is reported to clear the problem.

Enjoy,

OSOK