The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 22, 2012, 10:03 AM   #1
steveracer

Made an integral mag extension light for my 870!

Used a Choate mag extension and an inova X-5 light. (the T-2 is on order and will be swapped in. More on that later.)
I cut the end of the magazine extension off about 1.25" from the muzzle of the 18" barrel on my 870. I finished the cut as nicely as I could with a small stone and cold blue pen.
Then, I grabbed the Inova light, the ONLY good light I could find that would slide INSIDE the mag tube. I marked about where the lanyard hole was on the Inova, and drilled a hole through the mag tube where it would be. Then slide the light into the tube, and run a screw through the hole AND lanyard opening, and close it off with a washer and nut.
DONE!
Now, the magazine tube holds one more round, and a LIGHT. Finally. It seems nobody makes this product, and I've been looking for a long, long time.
Eventually I'll do one with two holes in the tube, and try for a remote switch of some kind, but for now, I'm happy with twisting the light bezel for on/off.
Pics:
This is attached to the gun. Note the low profile of the screw used. This allows it to be threaded off like any other mag tube cap.

Here's the look without the light, but retaining the tail cap in place to prevent the spring and follower flying out. I have shot it a few hundred rounds like this. No problems of any kind.

See the inside view of the tailcap of the Inova. Very robust hunk of aluminum.

Steve
Old May 22, 2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Grant D

Wow! that's a great idea.
Old May 24, 2012, 07:22 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Very well executed! That is a clean install. I have a Choate on my 870 folder, when I get around to replacing it with a Rem extension I know what I'm going to do with it. Great idea.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:26 AM   #4
zippy13

Great idea and well doneā€¦ But, IMHO, the people who want a light on their gun also want a functioning mag extension. Perhaps, by using some of the newer battery technologies/form factors, you could get a shorter light that wouldn't require sacrificing shell capacity.
Old May 25, 2012, 07:01 PM   #5
MagnumWill

That is CLEAN. Frankly, the reason I DON'T have a light on mine is because a lot of mounts suck, and the increased profile allows snagging, breaking, etc. and this solves it. Way cool. :thumbsup:
Old May 28, 2012, 06:45 PM   #6
steveracer

Good points.

I did address the extension actually working. It allows one additional round over factory, and I'm making another one now that will allow me to un-pin the light and put a blank in its place, allowing more mag capacity.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:33 PM   #7
steveracer

Update. Made a new one with a better light.

The X2 came in, and it's a better light for this. Brighter and the same overall size, roughly.
I remade the tube. This time I was able to get Chicago screws in place and it's much more slick looking, and more easily removable.
Pics:

Range time tomorrow. Results to follow.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:35 PM   #8
CK_32

Nice! Hope it stays in for when you need it tho
Old May 29, 2012, 07:50 PM   #9
steveracer

Stability isn't really an issue

The previous one was fired more than 300 rounds with the light in place, no problems at all. The tailcap of the light is billet aluminum and very strong. The screws holding it in place go all the way through the tailcap, and the clearances in there are tight enough that movement isn't an issue. The light is designed for use like this, and the LED is tough.
Basically, this isn't really any less strong than any other commercially available mag extension. I would only change one thing, and it's not worth the extra cost to me: I would thread the tube for a light that threads into it. The machine work alone would be prohibitive. And then I would be limited to really only one specific light. This one is easily replaceable.