The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 13, 2011, 07:54 PM   #1
JZ13

Need help choosing first rifle.

Hello everybody I'm here looking for help because I'm looking to buy my first rifle. I have done a little research and have been think about a .22 Mark II, although I am more then willing to consider others. I'm was wondering if that's a good starter rifle for 5'10 150lb 16 year old, and also I looked at them not sure which to get for example what's the difference between Mark II F vs Mark II FSS etc. I have a little experience with shooting air rifles if that matters at all. All post are greatly appreciated and sorry for any grammar or spelling errors since English is my second langue.
Old November 13, 2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Te Anau

Savage makes some really great rifles and a Mark II would be a great place to start.Grab a 550 round bulk pack of ammo from Federal or Remington and have a blast!
Old November 13, 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
ligonierbill

"SS" has a stainless barrel and lists for a few dollars more. Let your budget be your guide, but you can't go wrong with this rifle. Other makers also sell excellent .22's, but if you like the Savage, get it. Your grammar and spelling are just fine - we certainly see worse on this forum.
Old November 13, 2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Mrgunsngear

For a first rifle, it's hard to beat a Ruger 10/22. It's reliable, reasonably priced, and if you want to accessorize it there are tons of options out there...
Old November 13, 2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Bamashooter

I have both and they are both good choices for a young shooter. It depends on what you want, bolt action or semi auto.
Old November 14, 2011, 02:03 AM   #6
10-96

Personally, I would stick with a bolt action. Like said, the Mark II has been a great rifle for many years.

It's in a whole different price league, but go to the CZUSA website and take a peek at whatever model it is that they call the Military Trainer. It's also a rifle built for folks of adult type stature.

Your grammar and spelling are fine, it's seldom anyone here gets all wrapped up such technicalities.

And, WELCOME ABOARD! Glad to have you here amongst us- hope you come back often.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 14, 2011, 07:04 AM   #7
pilpens

IRON SIGHTS: CZ 452 trainer + adjustable sear.
OR
SCOPED: CZ 452 Varmint + adjustable sear + AO scope.
or
CZ 452 american 16" + low power scope.
---------------------------
Very good quality rifle. Accurate.
Do not skimp on scope.

Last edited by pilpens; November 14, 2011 at 07:10 AM.

Tags
.22 , mark ii