The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Boondoggie

Re: Help - issues with 9mm loads

I am fairly new to the re-loading game and recently started loading 9mm.

I started with 115grn ball ammo and was fairly successful, in the sense that they all went ‘bang’ when they were suppose to and all chambered, extracted and ejected. I really wasn’t going for anything fancy, just some range ammo.

Well after about 1000 rounds of these, I decided to move onto some semi-wad cutters 124grn platted bullets from Berry. The first couple of hundred worked great, then I started to have some failure to feed.

I have checked all the dimensions and made sure that nothing had shifted, everything seems correct.

COL = 1.100”
Crimp = 0.380”
Powder = 4.8grn HP38
Primer = Federals
Cases = once or twice fired Remingtons and Winchesters

The gun is a Glock 34. I also tried these in my 17 and 26 with mixed results, all had some failure to feed.

At this point I am beginning to wonder if the Glocks just doesn’t like the shape of the bullets or am I doing something wrong?

I would like to find a solution to this if I can as I have another 700 rounds of these to go through and I had previously purchased 1500 of 124grn hollow points of the same design based on my initial success.

Anyone share some insight?
Old June 5, 2010, 04:31 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Not sure why the first couple hundred worked fine and they quit working all the sudden. Sounds to me like your seating depth may be casuing the FTF's. Change your seating depth, but make sure you don't go under your Min Overall length for the given load. Have you tried a slightly longer COL?

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old June 5, 2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Forgive my ignorance, but are you sure they're "Semi-Wad Cutters" from Berry's?

I don't see any SWCs in 9mm plated on their site...
Old June 5, 2010, 04:40 PM   #4
gandog56

I want to tell you your first mistake is the Glock.

J/K but I;m wondering if the unsupported chamber is causing it not to like SWC for some reason. First of all, Are these lead cast bullets? I have read way too many scary Glock Kaboom stories to even RUN lead reloads in one. Maybe OK if you buy a 3rd party supported chamber non polygonal rifling barrel. (Can you say "Lone Wolf"?)
Old June 5, 2010, 04:43 PM   #5
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

One other thing...you clean your gun well after each shooting session, right?

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old June 5, 2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Boondoggie

IllinoisCoyoteHunter - no, I haven't tried longer, they look too long as it is. No, I haven't cleaned the 34, haven't done so in about 400 rounds, but the 17 and 26 were both cleaned.

peetzakilla - Sorry 124 grn FP 9mm.

gandog56 - Each to their own brother, I have had and shot this particular 34 for about 5 years and approximately 45,000 rounds in that time. It took me to 2nd last year at Ohio state IDPA match, I'm ok with it. I can also tell you that in that time I've had 5 FTF/FTE, 4 of them with my reloads, so I sure root cause is not the gun. I appriciate your concern though
Old June 5, 2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Without knowing the length of the bullets so as to be more exacting, that's a fairly light load. Perhaps you need to go up .2gr and try again?
Old June 5, 2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Jim243

Boondoggie

Have you checked your mags? You said it was a failure to feed? While the plated bullets do leave a residue from the plating I would also check your feed ramp and polish or at lease clean it. But I would guess that the mags have been dropped one too many times and the follower is not feeding correctly.

Just my guess.

Jim
Old June 5, 2010, 09:08 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

I have used the same bullets in my Glock 26. I have had good luck with them I use 4.0 grains of Titegroup seated at 1.075 and they feed just fine. I had a few hicups when seating them a bit longer.When seated at 1.075 they shoot quite acurately. I do prefer thier hollowpoints, ofer the FP though. My Lyman book list the load for start 3.8 and Max at 4.2.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Boondoggie

peetzakilla - having feeding issues, like they take a nose dive into the feed ramp, would increasing the charge have an affect?

Jim - mags are ok. Please note I have similar issues with my 26 as well.

M&P - haven't tried seating them that low, I have read that 1.095" was min. It funny, because at the current depth they visually look too long. I'll try a couple at that length and see.
Old June 6, 2010, 08:21 PM   #11
dakota223

I had the same problem and its not owning a glock! As someone stated. Its a plated bullet. So the problem I had was not loading it to the specs of a lead bullet. Plated bullets which berrys makes are softer than a fmj and if you are loading then as if it is a fmj. youll have a deposit left from the plating that messes with your feed. Easy way to check fire a few till the problem arrives. then break your gun down and clean it. Then fire with the same loaded lot. If it clears up this is your problem.
Old June 7, 2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondoggie
peetzakilla - having feeding issues, like they take a nose dive into the feed ramp, would increasing the charge have an affect?
Maybe, maybe not.

It's possible that the slide is not getting a good "running start" before it catches the case and slides it forward. If that happens, the nose of the bullet can just hit the feed ramp and stop.

You might try a lighter recoil spring or a slightly increased load.

Might do nothing, might help. Only way to know is to try.
Old June 10, 2010, 11:33 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

make ten test ten

Try varying OAL; try 1.080" (try this first); try 1.130".
Old June 12, 2010, 08:36 AM   #14
Jim243

If mags are OK, then it sounds like the shape of the bullet or you need to go up 0.2 of a grain.

Jim
Old June 12, 2010, 09:01 AM   #15
Xfire68

Hey Boondoggie, I have used Berry's in the past for both .380 and 9 mm and I sent Berry's a email asking about OAL for 9 mm and they said OAL at 1.055 for the 124g HP (NOT the FP). If the FP and HP have the same length then this OAL may work but I would ask Berry's for some info.
Old June 12, 2010, 01:07 PM   #16
oneounceload

My G17 and 26 have not had any issues with Berry's 124s.use them all the time