The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Boomer8404

Thinking of getting into casting my own pistol bullets?????

OK, as the title says, I am thinking of getting into casting my own pistol bullets. I have been looking at a few things and am kinda wondering about the initial start up prices. As far as calibers, Im only looking to cast Keith-Style 158gr LSWCs for 357mag and 210-215gr LSWCs for 41mag, cast in maybe Linotype or #2 and I was thinking if I wanted the bullets to be a little harder I could just water quench them. And a 250-255gr LRN or LRNFP for 45LC, for medium power plinker loads. Could I use linotype or #2 for 45LC? As far as bullet lube, I thought about making my own, theres a few recipes on youtube.com. Please give any opinions or pointers. I would like to have 2 cavity gang type mould for each caliber.

Also, is it always that important and or necessary to run cast bullets through a sizing die. Or, should I just go with a standard factory lube and one of those Lube/Sizers presses? Could I use the same lube for the calibers I have listed or would I need a different kind. All loads use smokeless power, no blackpowder. Thanks for the help, sorry if this is a repeating type of a post.
Old February 28, 2010, 02:58 AM   #2
chris in va

Or...you can just melt down some (nearly) free wheelweights scavenged from the tire stores and have boolits around 15-22 Brinell hardness. Should suit your needs just fine.

I do it for 9mm and 45acp. Still working on the proper mold for 9mm but the process is pretty straightforward if time consuming. Sizing isn't necessary if you slug your barrel and find a mold .002" over that size.

Lee 10# bottom pour pot
Hot plate (or propane burner)
Small 8" skillet
various spoons
Lee mold(s)
mini muffin pan
heavy gloves
Old February 28, 2010, 03:30 AM   #3
The Tourist

Oh, and eye protection. A small drop of water or an impurity can cause a splatter of hot lead in all directions.
Old February 28, 2010, 04:19 AM   #4
Sport45

There's a sub-forum to this one called "Bullet Casting". That might be a better place to post this question.