The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 11, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Big Bill

Pictures of my hounds and a deer killed with my bow...

I found some hunting pictures that were taken back in the seventies. In this first picture my oldest son (he's 37 now) is pictured holding this little two point's head up. Notice where I hit him with the arrow. I was using a Jennings Split-T bow.

This picture is of the same deer later that evening when we got home. I had my horses and we were planning to make an overnighter out of the trip. You can steel see the fletching of the arrow to the left of the deer's head.

This is of one of my dogs at the tree at a field trials. He's the good lookin one just left of the tree in the foreground.

And, the final picture is of my four hounds fighting a bobcat on the ground. The dog on the left in front was one of the grittiest hounds I ever had.

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; January 11, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old January 11, 2010, 10:01 PM   #2
treg

Nice pics Big Bill.

I bet you laughed agian when you pulled that mulie picture out.
Old January 11, 2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Big Bill

I sure did. I was aiming at his chest/lungs. He was about 35 yards away, turned toward me on an angle, and looking straight at me with his head turned toward me. The arrow went high and to the left. He dropped dead in his tracks. I didn't realize what happened to him till my son yelled, "you got em dad!"
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 12, 2010, 11:11 AM   #4
ilbob

I always appreciate a good dog picture.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:52 AM   #5
kraigwy

OH man does that bring back memories. In my younger days I use to do a lot of coon hunting. I had a pack of Black and Tans. Always had hounds as a kid. I even killed my first deer at about 8 years old when hounds brought it to my stand.

Thanks for sharing those photos.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 12, 2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Big Bill

I liked the Walkers; but, in the final years that I had hounds, I settled on Plotts. They weren't such cold nosed dogs and wouldn't run an old track. I also loved them for their grit. However, the cross bred Walker in the picture above on the left. He was part pit bull and was a great lead dog. But, he had a hard time riding in the box with other males that weren't mine. He was ok on the ground with other dogs, but would try and kill other males in the dog box.
Old January 12, 2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Dragon55

Cool dog pics!!

I'm partial to the old redbone bitch at the right in the last pic. At least it looks like a redbone.... maybe a redtick??

Also, heck of a shot there pardner!
Old January 15, 2010, 09:00 PM   #8
Big Bill

Dragon - she was a good one. She was mostly redbone with probably some cur or something else ?