The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 22, 2009, 07:34 PM   #1
ARDogman

204 for yoties

I've been a registered member of this forum for a little bit now, but I do most everything I need by using the search function (as you may see given my limited amount of posts.) I've read a lot about the .204 vs. XYZ on several forums, and I get a lot of good info, and a lot of what I'd consider misleading info. I've used the search function quite a bit, so please don't respond at all if your response is "click the search button."

I've filled out the paperwork for a Howa (pains me a little, as I've always been a Big Green guy) 1500 in .204 with the 3-10x42 Nikko-Stirling scope and Hogue stock ($499), I'm waiting for the ATF approval to go pick up my new coyote rifle. Here is my real question, then: what will be my maximum effective range on coyotes/foxes/bobcats? I would like to shoot the 40 grain bullets, and 45's once I get my reloader set up and ready to roll.

I really really want a .204 (and, as such, I don't want this to become a "you should get a 250, or .223, or .220 thread), and the ballistics charts seem to say it's going to be fine for my purposes, but I'd like to hear from you...so how far away are you guys CONSISTENTLY making clean kills on coyotes and such with the .204?
Old November 22, 2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Buzzcook

If you want a safe cut off then 400yds. It is used to 500yds.

Fun caliber to shoot. Have fun.
Old November 22, 2009, 08:37 PM   #3
taylorce1

Really depends on your ability to shoot it. Like Buzzcook said it should have plenty of energy to kill a coyote out to 500 yards. All depends on if you are capable of making that shot or not. I haven't ran the legs out on my .204 yet but it has worked well out to 300 for me on prairie dogs, so it is accurate enough to make me happy.

As far as Howa goes I don't think you will be dissapointed in your choice of rifle. They are quality built firearms and will serve you well. I'm not brand loyal in the least if it is interesting I'll buy it.
Old November 22, 2009, 09:21 PM   #4
ARDogman

500 yards and clean kills, that's a nice thing to hear. I'm planning on 400 yards and in. Energy tables looked good to me, just wanted to talk to some people who had some experience. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

The Howa has gotten really good reviews across the areas that I've searched for it, so I'm not too worried on that front.

Once I get it in my hands...I'll post some range reports/pix of groups etc.
Thanks again, TFL, I appreciate your input.
-CLS

Tags
204 , coyote , howa