The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 17, 2008, 07:11 PM   #1
rantingredneck

Ordering from TheBeltMan...Do I want a stiffener or not???

OK, I've decided to order a gun belt from thebeltman.net. I'm unsure whether to get the stiffener or not. I'd like to hear from people who have ordered them with the stiffener what their experiences have been (positives/negatives).

My typical EDC is a Ruger P345 OWB in a Bianchi Minimalist or Blackwidow. I also carry it IWB in a Desantis Tuck-it during summer. This is not a P90 but it's still beefy for a carry weapon. I'm thinking the stiffener may help me out.
Old March 17, 2008, 08:11 PM   #2
DPGDirk

I have the Beltman 1.5" double bullhide belt.

I carry a XD .45 service model all day long. No worries.
Get the stiffener if you want, but I can't imagine why you'd need it.

Beltmans belts are very sturdy. I bought mine because a half dozen of my friends have them and love them.

Dirk
Old March 17, 2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

I've been dragging my feet on ordering from the Beltman and have been going back and forth on stiffener or not. If you check out the site, it says that if you go with a 1.5" belt, you don't really need the stiffener. The stiffener was really made to add rigidity to the 1.25"

With that said, I'm still going back and forth. I don't think the stiffener will have a negative effect on the belt but I'm just not sure I need it.

If you order yours, post a review and note if you go stiffener or not.
Old March 18, 2008, 05:53 AM   #4
drail

Stiiffening a belt is probably not really necessary if you're carry a lightweight gun. For large revolvers or steel 1911s it helps a lot. After a long day it can rub your hipbone raw.
Old March 18, 2008, 07:36 AM   #5
Don P

Belt Man

I purchased his standard 1 1/2 belt and tote a full size 1911 WITHOUT any problems. What do you plan on for CCW? A 50 Cal. Desert Eagle?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 18, 2008, 10:45 AM   #6
rantingredneck

My usual carry armament is a Ruger P345 as noted in the OP, but there are times where a Ruger P90 or 4" GP100 may be on my hip, particularly when I'm in the woods. I'm wondering if the stiffener will help with the weight issue a little bit over the standard 1.5" belt (which is the size I'll be getting).
Old March 18, 2008, 11:22 AM   #7
DPGDirk

Like I said, I know a half dozen people that have the 1.5" double bullhide belt.
Most of them carry full sized guns. It's great and it's their most popular belt for a reason. That belt is very stiff and I can't imagine why you'd need a stiffener.

You can search the Beltman on a number of gun forums and see the same comments. The Beltman will tell you that you don't NEED the stiffener on that belt too.

Having said that, It doesn't sound like you'll be able to accept that anyway.

Why not just order the belt with the stiffener and be done with it?
Old March 18, 2008, 12:59 PM   #8
parrothead2581

If you carry a pair of Desert Eagle .50AE's every day, go for the stiffener. If not, go with the standard double bull hide 1.5". They're very sturdy.
Old March 18, 2008, 03:18 PM   #9
rantingredneck

Quote:
Having said that, It doesn't sound like you'll be able to accept that anyway.
No need to get testy. Just seeking information.
Old March 22, 2008, 07:07 PM   #10
ktd

I think as long as you have a decent quality belt and are not carrying huge amounts of gear on really baggy pants I do not think you need the stiffener. I have belts both ways. The bigger problem for me is that I cannot roll up a belt with a stiffener, and it is annoying if I want to fold my pants up with the belt on it.
Old March 22, 2008, 07:16 PM   #11
Dreadnought

I don't have a Beltman, but I have a few gunbelts (some are economically efficient and some are a little more high-scale) and the one with the stiffener (Comp-Tac) is my favorite because it hasn't lost its torsional rigidity. Maybe Beltman's are better in that regard, but I'd go for the stiffener, and if you have a tuckable holster with the option of velco clips, get a velcro lining also or you'll be sorry. I know I was.
Old March 26, 2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Breakdaddy

You're unlikely to need the stiffener. My 1.5" beltman bullhide belt normally carries an XD45 service (in a crossbreed supertuck) with 14 rounds of .45 ACP, a full sized 13 round spare magazine for same XD45, a leatherman wave with accessory kit, and a blackberry. No stiffener, no problems with this excellent belt.
Old March 26, 2008, 09:14 PM   #13
pax

How long have you guys each owned the belts you're referring to, and do you carry every day?

pax
(also in the market)
Old March 26, 2008, 11:10 PM   #14
rantingredneck

Good question Pax.

I'd like to know that too.
Old March 27, 2008, 07:14 AM   #15
Don P

Time frame

I have my belt for 18 months and wear it daily. It is still as stiff as the day it arrived. Due to surgery I have not been able to wear a belt since mid Jan. so figure 15 1/2 months. It has all the support I feel I need for a full size 1911 in a steel frame. 1911 weigh's 47oz loaded if that helps in your decision
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 27, 2008, 09:28 AM   #16
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I have my belt for 18 months and wear it daily. It is still as stiff as the day it arrived. Due to surgery I have not been able to wear a belt since mid Jan. so figure 15 1/2 months. It has all the support I feel I need for a full size 1911 in a steel frame. 1911 weigh's 47oz loaded if that helps in your decision
I finally broke down and ordered from one. I've delaying it for a couple of months but it was finally time.

I went with a 1.5" horse hide and passed on the internal stiffener. In the summer I carry a Smith Airweight but the past couple of months I've carried a full-size 1911. I'm hopefull that the horse hide can handle both without issue for years to come.
Old May 3, 2008, 08:39 PM   #17
rantingredneck

I actually got to meet The Beltman today and bought a belt from him face to face at the Raleigh gun show.

I went with the double horsehide 1.5" brown. Now that I have the belt in hand I can see why a stiffener is definitely not needed. Any of my IWB or OWB holsters ride nicely on it. No sagging at all.

Very happy with this and I expect it will last for many years. And if it doesn't the beltman's shop is only about 45 mins from my house .
Old May 4, 2008, 05:40 PM   #18
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I went with the double horsehide 1.5" brown. Now that I have the belt in hand I can see why a stiffener is definitely not needed. Any of my IWB or OWB holsters ride nicely on it. No sagging at all.
I've had my Beltman for about three weeks and I'm very impressed so far (brown horse hide 1.5" w/o the stiffener). It holds my full sized 1911 without any sign of sag. I feel I should get several years of wear out of this belt.