The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 5, 2001, 08:25 PM   #1
m16a2223

firearms timeline

I am an archaeology student at a university. I work in the lab quite a bit. Often, when we are sorting artifacts, we find firearms related items. Today I found part of the brass of a 12ga. shotgun shell. This part,which consisted of the primer and two tiny flakes of the rim, was paper(on the inside) ahead of the primer. I assume that this was a paper shell. My question is, what year did all brass shells go out and paper come in?

P.S. I have quite a bit of firearms knowledge, but gun history before ww1 is not one of my strong points It would be really nice if we had some kind of ammunition timeline to keep in the lab.

Thanks, m16
Old July 5, 2001, 11:42 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

"My question is, what year did all brass shells go out and paper come in? "

That didn't really happen, at least not at a given time. Brass shells popular with some reloaders for another 100 years or so after the advent of paper shells. Since there is no requirement for a mouth crimp with a brass shotshell a brass user can vary any componant without having to change wadding stack to make the total load come out even at the mouth of the case.

In 1860 George Daw developed a shotshell case using a sheet brass head, removable primer pocket and a cardboard body. The birth of the paper shot shell........over 140 years ago. Winchester was crankin em out a hundred years ago.

Economy of loading also helped keep the brass hulls alive. A box or two of brass hulls could literaly last a hunter a lifetime.

Last new brass I bought was in 1957

Sam

Last edited by C.R.Sam; July 6, 2001 at 01:47 AM.
Old July 6, 2001, 02:02 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

As Sam says, there is a HUGE overlap.

Brass shells were still being made in the United States up until possibly the 1960s. After that, they could be had from Europe. At least one European company still makes brass shot shells, and I would not be at all surprised if, because of Cowboy Action Shooting, they make a comeback.

Paper-hulled shells are still in production, again all European, I think, but were still in production in the United States as recently as the 1980s.

Plastic hulls came into their own after WW II.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 7, 2001, 07:40 AM   #4
Quantrill

Brass Shotshells

I bought new brass shotshell empties in 1991 and believe they are still available. They were made by Bell Extrusion Laboratories Limited (B.E.L.L.)
Quantrill
Old July 7, 2001, 10:30 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Does anybody have a starting date for all brass shot shells. I think the brass/paper ones (circa 1860) predate the all brass but not sure.

Thanx....Sam
Old July 7, 2001, 11:03 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ok, I've got a couple of dates...

1836-1838 - Lefaucheau pinfire shotshell introduced. They may have been rolled brass/paper, drawn copper, or even later, drawn brass. I've never seen one.

1875 is the earliest date that I can find for American all-brass shotshells.

I can't find a date for paper/brass shotshells, but it probably wasn't very much earlier.

1958 saw the introduction of the first plastic-hulled shotshells in the United States.

Old July 7, 2001, 01:41 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

Center fire.........

So far Mike has all the all brass starting bout 1875 and I have Daw doin the brass base/paper hull in 1860.

Good grief, looks like the paper hull a little older and they both still goin. George Daw's 1860 version is still relatively unchanged except for mouth crimp.

Trivia found while workin on the hull research, shot cups are from the 19th century.

Sam....and my grandkids think I'm old.
Old July 7, 2001, 02:34 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Sam,

I think it's entirely possible that all-brass shotshells started earlier, but not before the end of the Civil War.

The biggest impediment was the ability to draw the brass properly. That was the hold-back for the powerful, large-bore lever rifles of the time, too. Copper could be drawn, but it wasn't strong enough, and spinning the brass to the proper length often resulted in a shell that simply wasn't strong enough.

By about 1870-75, though, the technology was just about there.

Old July 7, 2001, 04:46 PM   #9
C.R.Sam

Yeah, I too was thinkin the difficulty of deep drawing might be a factor.