The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Headgear

Bulge in 9mm case in S&W Shield

Has anyone seen this? I have been reloading and shooting 9mm the same way for years and got a couple new carry pistols for my wife and myself and am getting this bulge/crease. I am using 4.8 grains of Universal Clays, Win small pistol primers, and 115 Berry's plated RN, using several different types of cases. I am loading on a Dillon 650 and check the powder charge pretty often and it is never over 4.9 grains. I chronographed them at 1150+/- and don't see any other glaring signs of over pressure.

I also shoot these rounds out of a couple different Glocks, a Sig, and a Beretta with no unusual marks, bulges or other signs of over pressure. I looked into the end of the barrels of both of the Shields and just where the feed ramp merges into the chamber there is a visible shape just like the line on the case in the picture. I ran the head of a pin lightly over it and could actually feel it.

Not all of the cases get this mark as bad as some but they all seem to have it no matter what head stamp. I am going to get a box of factory rounds and see if they do it as well.

It scares me to reuse these cases again and was just wondering if anyone else has seen this. I have to practice with the gun I carry but I also have to reload to be able to afford practicing. Its a shame because the Shield is so easy to conceal but I may have go with something else.

Thanks for looking.

Old December 13, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2
warhwkbb

Here are some other posts concerning the shield and +P ammo

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=726956
https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/9MM-Brass/
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...r-problem.html
Old December 14, 2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Headgear

Thanks for the links. The ones shown on the Smith forum are exactly what mine is doing. The pictures of the feed ramps look like mine. I cannot imagine that my reloads are anywhere near plus-P loads though because I even had to heat them up a bit (4.6 to 4.8) just to get them to cycle. These have to be operating at target load pressures and still getting the bulge.

I misspoke above though. After going through a new batch of freshly tumbled cases not all of the cases have it. Actually, only about a third of them have it and some are much worse than others. Some of the posts that I have read say that it could possibly be that the bolt is unlocking and the case is actually beginning to be withdrawn from the chamber while still under pressure. Maybe that could explain why some have it worse than others.

I sure wish Glock would make a single stack carry gun. I have a G26 but it is a little thicker than the Shield and since I seem to get a little thicker also, a thinner gun is easier to hide. At any rate, these babies are going back.

Thanks again for the help.
Old December 14, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headgear
Some of the posts that I have read say that it could possibly be that the bolt is unlocking and the case is actually beginning to be withdrawn from the chamber while still under pressure. Maybe that could explain why some have it worse than others.
If you suspect the gun is malfunctioning, I suggest that you call S&W and see what they say. They treated me like I was their #1 customer when I had a problem with a M&P40c. After they fixed it, in less than a week at zero cost to me, it ran flawlessly from then on. (That is, until I lost it in a tragic boating accident. )
Old December 14, 2013, 11:11 AM   #5
bt380

Might be interesting to take a marker and place the round by hand and fire it to see if you can pinpoint the specific area.