The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Reloader2

Kudos to RCBS

I messed up my 264 magnum expander ball last Saturday. I contacted RCBS asking to buy a new expander ball. They quickly responded they would ship a new expander ball for no charge.

This afternoon I received a package containing a complete decapping rod with an expander ball and 5 extra decamping pins.

This is better service than I could hope for.
Old August 9, 2013, 10:08 PM   #2
Sevens

My most recent experience fell short of that. Maybe this sounds like a complaint... maybe it is.

I broke my RCBS Powr'Puller, which is their version of a kinetic (hammer type) bullet puller. It gave fine service over a long life. And it is an extremely hard use item. I wasn't surprised or even disappointed when it broke in two pieces.

I sent RCBS an e-mail, explained that it broke, explained that it gave me a proper, long service life of OVER five years and admitted that I wouldn't expect any kinetic puller to last forever. I asked if their fine warranty extended also to a tool that gets BEATEN for a living.

They were friendly and said that it did...
But I have to ship the busted one to them first.

That...is a pain in my butt. It will absolutely be cheaper than the $22 or whatever I'd pay for a new one, but it's not cheaper or less hassle than an item with a lifetime warranty. I'd rather they simply take my word for it and ship me a new one. I'd be happy to send them a picture of a broken piece of transparent green plastic if it saves me a trip to the post office.

Haha. Yep, I suppose I am complaining. If the USPS asks what's in my package, I guess I'll tell them that it's useless, broken, plastic refuse that will get canned upon receipt.
Old August 10, 2013, 05:34 AM   #3
mwells72774

had this happen twice. sent a new one both times free!
Old August 10, 2013, 08:10 AM   #4
stubbicatt

RCBS supports us, so I support RCBS. I love my Summit press, once I figured out some issues with it. My APS hand primer tool. I like their dies as well. Other than a very few products I have bought from them, I have always been satisfied with RCBS quality.

Their Customer Service is top notch.

Another top notch organization is Whidden GunWorks.
Old August 10, 2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Revoltella

They did the same with a puller I broke. Told me to keep the cap and case holder, and send back the broken parts.

Makes sense if you think about it. In today's society, while you may be honest, lots of people would be calling just to get a free one.
Old August 10, 2013, 10:03 AM   #6
howlnmad

I've torn up decapping stems and no problem with them replacing them but like Sevens, they wanted my old hammer first. Instead of sending it back, I took it back to Cabelas and they replaced it for me. I was driving past the store anyway.
Old August 13, 2013, 07:14 PM   #7
publius

RCBS is a great company who goes out of their way to satisfy customers. When I was new to loading I stuck a case in a sizer. I sent the sizer in and they either pulled it for me or sent a new one (I don't know which). They could have sent it back to me and said 'we sell stuck case removers." I will buy nothing but RCBS after that.
Old August 13, 2013, 08:08 PM   #8
jepp2

I have nothing but praise for RCBS customer service. It ranks among the highest I have ever encountered.

But I do have a viewpoint on what I expect them to do. If I broke it, I expect to pay for it. And if they replace it for no charge to me, that means others are paying. It I was using it properly and it broke, then I look for the manufacturer to cover replacing it.

My experience is that RCBS replaces at no cost many items that the user broke, and should be paying for. Maybe it makes business sense for them, but I personally will never take advantage of of the generosity of a company at the expense of others.
Old August 13, 2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Kimber84

Kudos to RCBS

They are sending me two new .223 sizing rods, pins, and expanders. I told them I wanted to pay for them, her reply was, " I need your name and address". They wouldn't accept money and I told them I only needed one, but she sent two. That kind of service is unheard of, and I wish there was a way to pay them, as it was my fault I broke them.
Old August 13, 2013, 09:17 PM   #10
wet

RCBS makes quality products and stands behind them, what more could you expect?
Old August 14, 2013, 10:25 AM   #11
Nick_C_S

Exactly what Wet said. I bought my RCBS press in 1984 and is still going strong. If I need it, and RCBS makes it, that's the one I get.

And, they're close to me - about a 30 minute drive. So in my case, I'm also supporting "local."
Old August 14, 2013, 10:32 AM   #12
JimDandy

This is why when I help people pick stuff, always try and channel them into RCBS or Hornady. Both have almost identical warranty service. I give the slightest edge to Hornady because they don't always have the "original purchaser" requirement.
Old August 14, 2013, 09:40 PM   #13
reynolds357

That type service is historically typical of RCBS.
Old August 14, 2013, 09:43 PM   #14
reynolds357

Jim Dandy, RCBS has never asked me for proof of purchase.
Old August 14, 2013, 11:30 PM   #15
Dwclifton

Hornady just did the same thing for me today.

I also purchased an old rcbs press a while back that was missing the shell holder clip. I called rcbs to buy some and they sent me 5 free of charge.

I couldn't be any happier with nigh hornady and rcbs!
Old August 15, 2013, 02:34 PM   #16
schmellba99

Quote:
If I broke it, I expect to pay for it.
You are - when you buy the product and, indirectly, the warranty that RCBS sells with each of their products.

Sending a customer some decapping pins at no charge is also a pretty cheap method of marketing - you can bet that RCBS is banking on a couple of things:

1. That the customer will remain a loyal RCBS customer
2. That the customer will brag about the customer service at RCBS, which in turn leads to more loyal customers

Based on the fact that with the OP, and many others in this thread supporting RCBS, I'd say that their marketing methods are working very, very, very well.

RCBS, Hornady and Dillon are all outstanding on the customer service end. I've never dealt with Lee, but I'm assuming they are as well. These companies know their customers and know what will keep those customers buying their product - and that is a very, very good thing for all of us.

Hornady has sent me replacement items that I offered to pay for at no cost as well - it's hard not to be a loyal customer when the company you are buying for still strives to win your loyalty even after you've bought their product already.