The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 1, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Sweet Shooter

CZ527m + Leupold = bad!

Okay so on my new CZ527m carbine in <Edit> 7.62 x 39 </Edit> I tried the Ultra Slam <Edit> 2-7 x 32mm </Edit> which I didn't even get a shot off. I put it on the bench and bore sighted it only to find the center red dot of the target at 100 yards was a double image. Moving my head to the side slightly the two came together into one dot but the sight picture was off axis and blinding out. So I took it back and swapped it for another this time the 3-9 x 40. Same problem. I took it back and got a refund... except for 60 bucks I paid for the CZ rings!! Anyone else had this luck with Leupold scopes? First time I ever bought Leupold... and last. I have scopes half the cost and way better/clearer... more stable.

I'm just going to put a peep on this CZ instead... just as intended.
-SS-

Last edited by Sweet Shooter; September 4, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old September 1, 2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Koveras

I think you have a ring alignment problem rather than a scope problem.

Did you get the rings specific to the CZ 527? The other CZ models use different receiver groove sizes and the rings for them won't work.

Also, the rear CZ ring is fixed in position by the notch on the receiver groove. Is the front ring mounted with the screw on the same side as the rear ring?
Old September 1, 2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Sweet Shooter

Nope. Not the rings... these were "Leupold" 527 rings. And the scope showed the double image without the rings torqued. I put a Nikon scope in there and it was perfect - but too big of a scope.
Just out of curiosity why do you think that the rings can distort an image in that manner? The scope tube was immaculate... no bending etc.

-SS-
Old September 1, 2012, 06:01 PM   #4
jmr40

Did you focus the scope first. They come with the focus ring all the way down and must be focused for your eyes.

Never had a single problem with any Leupold. I have 6 right now ranging in age from 40 years to 4 days. The newer ones are better than ever.
Old September 1, 2012, 06:29 PM   #5
armoredman

Get the CZ Picatinney adapter, all ring problems solved.
Old September 3, 2012, 11:14 PM   #6
chris in va

Meh, a 3x9 is too much scope for your 527 anyway. I tried putting one on mine and it just negated the whole concept of a 5.5# short carbine.

I'd like a 4x fixed on mine if I get around to it. So far the irons are just fine.

BTW who carries peeps for the CZ?
Old September 3, 2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Sweet Shooter

Quote:
@chris in va

BTW who carries peeps for the CZ?
You're right.

And Skinner have a prototype but it is not available yet. Meanwhile I'm going to make one. Actually I have almost got it done... will post pics soon.
-SS-
Old September 3, 2012, 11:51 PM   #8
roashooter

for those of us with 527...emails with "Tech-Sight"...which make a peep sight for cz 452s....has stated a peep for 527 is being considered
Old September 4, 2012, 09:59 AM   #9
thallub

Earlier this year i bought a Leupold FX II 4X33 scope for my muzzleloader. That scope would not zero. Changed it out for an identical scope and that one would not zero either. The rings were lapped before the scope was installed.

Sent the last Leupold back and ordered a Minox scope that has much better glass.
Old September 4, 2012, 12:19 PM   #10
hooligan1

Whats' a Leupold FX ? never heard of 'em....

Leupold has super Customer service, and both you thallub and the op should have contacted them for some technical guidance...I have three older Leupolds that I purchased over time,, they are all super scopes with no troubles and they have stayed zeroed through countless handload testing as well as commercial cartridges,,,,... sounds to me like maybe you both might got lemmons,,, whats the odds???? (buy lotto tickets boys).
Old September 4, 2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Scorch

Quote:
CZ527m carbine in 6.2 x 39 I tried the Ultra Slam 2-7 x 33
Slight correction:
CZ 527m carbine in 7.62X39mm
Leupold Ultimate Slam scope 2-7X33
Quote:
Did you focus the scope first.
Bingo!

Sounds a lot like you needed technical advice, not a different scope. Too bad you didn't buy the scope from someone who could have helped you with it, most big box stores hire the cheapest labor possible, which means if you know anything they would have to pay you more, so you won't get hired. Leupold has a 800 number you can call for assistance, staffed by experts. Try it next time.

Last edited by Scorch; September 4, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old September 4, 2012, 01:40 PM   #12
thallub

Quote:
Whats' a Leupold FX ? never heard of 'em....

Fixed power; i have seven Leupold scopes that have all given good service. It appears that Leupold changed the innards of FXII and VXII scopes. i know of three more cases where newer FXII and VXII scopes could not be zeroed or would not hold zero. Its much more than a lemon problem with the newer Leupold scopes that have friction adjustments.

Quote:
Leupold has super Customer service, and both you thallub and the op should have contacted them for some technical guidance...
i install dozens of scopes every year for other folks. i did not need customer assistance, i wanted Leupold to give me a new scope and they did. That scope was defective also. The second time Leupold customer assistance refused to fix their product. i took it back for a refund.

After the problems with those two Leupold scopes and the lack of co-operation from Leupold i will never again buy a Leupold product.

Last edited by thallub; September 4, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old September 4, 2012, 01:53 PM   #13
hooligan1

Thanx thallub now I've heard of 'em! sorry about your Leupold scope problem.
Old September 4, 2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Sweet Shooter

@Scorch... yes sorry... 7.62, and 32mm.

"Technical advice"... Duno, because these are very simple scopes no parallax adjustments almost infinite relief. Yes I focused them. We're talking about a double image, both of which were quite sharp images... not an out-of-focus or blurred image. I have other scopes that never displayed that kind need for messin'.

Yes, I've heard that their customer service is second-to-none and I don't doubt that because I suspect they are a very experienced and well used customer service department.

They would have said... "Send them to us and we'll take a look and fix etc". To be honest had I wanted to go mailing and shipping, I would have ordered online... Going to Cabela's is a long drive but a treat for me.

Not an expensive scope I know, but more than I'm happy to pay generally. I should not have to get technical advice to mount a scope having done it right for years and years. Had they published "You may notice a double sight picture in the scope, in which case do A. B. and C." But they didn't. Respectfully, those scopes were actually faulty, confirmed by the guys at the range who sight-in rifles as a paid service.

-SS-
Old September 4, 2012, 01:59 PM   #15
603Country

I've had bad scopes from Weaver, Redfield, Tasco, Bushnell, BSA, and the most recent bad one was a Nikon Monarch. Never had a bad scope from Leupold, though I've never bought an entry level scope from Leupold (not that you did either).

Odds are good that my grandkids and greatgrandkids will be using the same scopes that I now have on rifles, and the odds are excellent that Leupold will still be around to fix or replace them if they ever fail. Reliability, great customer service, and long-term market presence are part of the reason that I keep buying Leupold.
Old September 4, 2012, 02:14 PM   #16
jmr40

Quote:
i know of three more cases where newer FXII and VXII scopes could not be zeroed or would not hold zero. Its much more than a lemon problem with the newer Leupold scopes that have friction adjustments.
The VX-II scopes were dropped several years ago and replaced with VX-2's. In fact Leupold entire lineup was upgraded starting in January of this year. Even the newer VX-1's are click adjustable now. I don't know about the Ultimate slam scopes, and I have NEVER heard of anyone having an issue with any of the FX line of scopes.

I have 2 new 2012 production Leupolds. A VX-1 in 1-4X20 and a VX-2 in a 3-9X40 with LR reticle. The newly upgraded VX-2 is the sharpest clearest scope in my safe. It beats out my 4 year old VX-3 and two Zeiss scopes I own. Not bad for a $330 scope.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:55 AM   #17
Sweet Shooter

Here is the buba peep sight I made. I drilled an over-sized aperture and sighted it in using a pin through some adhesive aluminum auto tape. I back-filled with JB Weld. When pressed firmly onto the aperture, the tape dimples a bit making almost a lens shape. I pressed tape on both sides while it set up and allowed JB to ooze out of the pin-hole, then cleaned it up as it set. The adhesive on the tape acts as a release agent. Before removing the tape, I drilled using a very small bit between my thumb and forefinger, using the pin hole as my marker. The whole thing is very small—it's a very small receiver—and is help on once again with JB. I degrease the top of the receiver with denatured alcohol and the bottom of the peep was roughened. The receiver also has a key where the scope mount would lock up which I'm thinking will help hold it on there. If it comes off I'll drill and tap it but wanted to avoid doing that. It appears very sturdy and I can lift the rifle just by the peep... I don't think it will come off easy. I'm actually a little concerned that I might not get it off easily if ever I do want to take it off. I have left the rear sight on there for now, and the peep and the rear confirm each other perfectly for a 6 o'clock hold at 100 yards.

-SS-

Attachment 83468

Attachment 83469

Last edited by Sweet Shooter; December 18, 2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:01 AM   #18
Scorch

You know, for a "quick and dirty", it looks good. Congratulations!
Old September 7, 2012, 04:15 PM   #19
TBS

The Burris fullfield ll 2-7 is a nice fit to the 527.

Old September 8, 2012, 09:43 AM   #20
Sweet Shooter

Quote:
TBS The Burris fullfield ll 2-7 is a nice fit to the 527.
TBS is that a lefty or is the photo backwards? Also what rings are those?
Very nice piece of wood there...
-SS-
Old September 8, 2012, 03:38 PM   #21
TBS

Yes its a lefty .223 and the rings are leupold 527 style rings. Thanx for the compliments on the wood!
Old September 8, 2012, 08:52 PM   #22
bamaranger

scopes

That IS a nicel looking CZ. And the Burris has that Euro look that's appropriate as well.

Re Leupold. One hears these stories now and again, but it has not been my experience. I've got 8, a mix of Vari-X or Vari-X-II or FX models, acquired over 20 yrears or so, and never a problem. I hunt and shoot as much or more as the next guy. I've returned 2-3 for reticle changes (not repair!) and the work was done quick and the scope back in my hands pronto. My commo with Leupold, by phone or online was always positive.

I've told this before, but once more. A friend suffered a bad house fire (and more). All his scopes........but the Leupolds, were toast. The Leu's had cosmetic issues, but the story goes, you could hunt and shoot them if you wanted.

Fan here.
Old September 9, 2012, 02:46 AM   #23
phil mcwilliam

I also own 4 Leupold scopes that I've never had an issue with, the oldest one bought over 20 years ago. 2 of these scopes are 2-7x33, a VX-I & VX-II, mounted on a 452CZ .22 & 550CZ .375 H&H respectively.
CZ + Leupold = good in my experience
Old September 9, 2012, 08:16 AM   #24
Sweet Shooter

Perhaps it's just a sign of the times. The last time I bought something and thought "Holy 5hit, these guys made a quality product was... I dunno..."
Appears like all the older things were made better.

I may just get another ProStaff and put that on there eventually. My eyes while I need readers are doing alright so far so the peep is fun. Perhaps I'll drill and tap for a WRGS... looks like the height needed is about right.
-SS-
Old September 10, 2012, 10:17 PM   #25
Sweet Shooter

So I finally got around to drilling and tapping the receiver to help the JB weld hold the sight on. I honestly don't think it would have come off but I wanted a guarantee. I have no drill press and used an Irwin drill and three flute tap for 4-40 in a hand held electric drill !!!going slow!!!. I used regular gun oil as a tap cutting fluid and it all went to plan. I used a tapered tap to thread most of it and when I got to my depth, I ground the taper off the tap and bottomed it out. There were a few moments when it got tight and I thought I'd blown it but it came loose and was fine. A $3.00 tap and $2.00 bit. I was apprehensive about trying it myself but it was easy so long as I went very slow... about an eighth of a turn before reversing and removing the tap to clean out the hole frequently with a shop vac. I'm feeling like I could drill and tap the same for a Williams or similar. The receiver is very think on that back strap. I buried a .375" long bolt and I did not burst through. Also remember the peep I made was actually JB'd in place and I drilled and tapped right through it in place... so it's also bedded now. Just thought I'd share.

Confidence to anyone who is having a hard time finding a rear peep for the CZ527. And wants to try this themselves.
-SS-

Last edited by Sweet Shooter; December 18, 2014 at 06:09 PM.