The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 25, 2010, 04:26 PM   #1
b12alex

Bear bait

How many weeks before the hunt should you start baiting before the hunt? What do you guys use for your bait?
Old July 25, 2010, 05:45 PM   #2
rtpzwms

How many friends do you have?? Sorry I just couldn't resist!
Old July 25, 2010, 06:48 PM   #3
James R. Burke

I only did it twice. Started about three weeks before. Once they find it they will keep coming back unless something interrupts it. A local store saves me ll there bad meat. Then there are a few bread and dognut places I get bait from, tell them its for watching birds. I will find a natural hole or depression in the ground, and put it in there, then dump some pancake syrup the cheap stuff on top of it. Corn and dog food works great two. I then cover it with logs. It's surprizing what they can move to get at something. If your hunting on the ground, make sure you take any ferns etc down so you have a clear shot. If you get a bear or bears coming in most the time you will see the trail coming to the bait. There taking dumps on there way out so you will see that. Good luck, and let us know how you do.
Old July 25, 2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Gbro

Check you hunting regulations!
Many states have restrictions on what to use and when to use it. and like here in MN a site has to be marked with name and number and you do not want to be caught sitting over unmarked bait.
Old July 27, 2010, 05:58 PM   #5
James R. Burke

He is correct on checking those regs. It been a few years for me. For deer and bear I use a big portable that I set up real good a leave it up, but just for one or the other of course. It falls under other. You cant use nails etc. but you do need your name and address on the blind it self if you leave it up. Baiting can only start at a certain time. The blinds can only be put up at a certain time, and need to come down at the end of season. I read the regs front to back every year just to stay on the safe side of things.
Old July 27, 2010, 06:57 PM   #6
b12alex

Im in Canada and im on my own privite property and i know the regulations here. I just would like some ideas for start time and baits?
Old July 27, 2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Buzzcook

Get some old fryer oil from a restaurant. You should be able to get it for free. Mix in some corn and sugar.

Bait as early as possible.

Remember to cook those bear at least 165f. They carry trichinosis in a big way.
You can also kill them by hard freezing them for a long time. Sorry I can't remember how cold and how long.