The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 14, 2006, 09:09 AM   #26
User14

Am I the new Gunkid? Look, I like tactics. From what I hear, Gunkid went way overboard. I think I try to be logical.
Old October 14, 2006, 11:58 AM   #27
User14

Just talked to a location. The greeter was just mewling. Compete sheeple. The usual crap: "Are you a guard?" Another person said it is against Costco policy. I did not see signs.
Old October 14, 2006, 01:29 PM   #28
Savage10FP308

Hey...

If you really like shopping at Costco, just shop there. Unless they see you stealing something they can't just search you and if you are a real CCW you should have no problem keeping your weapon out of sight. The only question is if you ever really needed to use your weapon in the store or in the parking lot, would that sign cause you lots of problems in court.
Old October 14, 2006, 01:55 PM   #29
Wildalaska

Quote:
Am I the new Gunkid? Look, I like tactics. From what I hear, Gunkid went way overboard. I think I try to be logical.

WildokAlaska
Old October 14, 2006, 02:02 PM   #30
Rangefinder

I normally prefer to avoid anyplace that tries to prohibit my ability to protect myself. So I'd likely not be there in the first place.
BUT.....As far as the parking lot goes, the sign says nothing against carrying in their lot unless they have it posted right on the edge of the property line--"No Weapons Beyond this Point". It's a wide open field as to whether or not they could even try to push something against you in their lot. In the event you had to draw in their lot, they'd likely become your best friend to keep you from suing them over the whole matter. "I come here to shop, not to get robbed/assulted/car-jacked. Is that your idea of safety for your customers? Good thing I can defend myself, because you are completely incapable of providing safety for me".
If a situation arose within the store I'd do nothing different than I would anywhere else. It's their responsibility to provide a safe environment within their store. I think I can handle my personal safety a little better than a 16-year old check-out girl armed with a laser scanner and plastic bags, should a (heaven forbid) life threatening situation ever occure. My personal safety is my responsibility. And if it does happen that I'm forced to draw, that point is made even more clear.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old October 14, 2006, 03:10 PM   #31
mr00jimbo

So they think that sign will keep bad guys out?
What about putting one up in the bank?

Stupid as hell.
Old October 14, 2006, 03:35 PM   #32
Dust_Devil

There's a Costco right around the corner from me and I never even been in it. I have nothing to buy there and no need to buy in bulk. Same with SAM's Warehouse. I don't even know what this particular store's policy is or if they have a sign. Maybe I should drive by it and check just out of curiosity.

That aside. Concealed Carry = What they don't know doesn't hurt them and enhances my shopping experience.

Who are they to tell me what makes a good shopping experience for me? It surely isn't shopping in a store that doesn't allow me to practice my rights.

All other places of business seem to be doing just fine allowing me to carry a firearm in their property.

What does Costco think that telling law-abiding shoppers they cannot carry a firearm in their store is going to do? Make a criminal-minded person obey their sign??
Old October 14, 2006, 03:39 PM   #33
User14

If they had buckets of NATO ammo, I'd be all over the place!
Old October 14, 2006, 06:14 PM   #34
mr00jimbo

I guess you could just ignore it. how are they going to find out, unless there's an emergency and you need to use your gun, then they'd comment you for being a hero for breaking their rule.

And it's a rule isn't it, not a law?

I'd carry anyways.
Old October 14, 2006, 06:23 PM   #35
Savage10FP308

Rangefinder hit the nail on the head.

I would go with his advice but thats me!
Old October 14, 2006, 11:00 PM   #36
at2000

I went to one today in Seattle -- no sign. In any event, concealed means concealed.
Old October 15, 2006, 01:10 AM   #37
guntotin_fool

I go because we like the prices. they are cheaper on a lot of the basics. milk is about 50 cents a gallon cheaper,
butter is about 1/2 the going rate.
meat any where from $1 to 4 a pound less than the supermarkets.

I have sent an email regarding the signs and refuted the basis for their position.
Old October 15, 2006, 03:27 AM   #38
Limeyfellow

I imagine that its major reason for doing so is it helps to cut down on insurance costs. When they pay their employees decent wages and insurance they have to make a saving somewhere.
Old October 15, 2006, 05:51 PM   #39
clayking

How about a national CCW boycott of Costco? I plan on emailing to the above and stating that if my gun is not welcome, then neither am I......................ck
Old October 15, 2006, 06:21 PM   #40
Glenn E. Meyer

If you are a Texan and they have a crappy sign and then you protest said crappy sign and they tell you that it is their policy to ban guns and CHLs, they you just got for yourself official notice and thus you can't carry there even if they have no 30.06 sign. Other folks who didn't protest can go carry there as the crappy sign has no effect on them.

Oh, well. No good deed goes unavenged.
Old October 15, 2006, 06:36 PM   #41
springmom

Quote:
If you are a Texan and they have a crappy sign and then you protest said crappy sign and they tell you that it is their policy to ban guns and CHLs, they you just got for yourself official notice and thus you can't carry there even if they have no 30.06 sign. Other folks who didn't protest can go carry there as the crappy sign has no effect on them.
Yup. Better by far to just be quiet and either just boycott the store because they're anti and you don't want to support anti businesses, or keep shopping there and let the antis happily think you care about their rules and are being a good boy or girl.

But legally, once you fuss and they say no, we mean it, you are stuck and CAN be cited by law.

Silence is golden.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 15, 2006, 09:24 PM   #42
NevJohn

Stopped at the local Costco here today, and no sign found.

Only reason we shop at Costco, is because their meat is the best around. Havent found any better, even at a Locker Plant. Dont know where they get it, but it is the best. Maybe it comes from China, like everything else??

John
SW642 .38spl
Old October 15, 2006, 09:46 PM   #43
jailbait's_revenge

technically so is wally-world. even though they sell them, they don't want you to carry them into thier stores. around here, they are so strict about weapons being in the store, that when you buy one the manager has to walk you to your car and place it in your trunk.

just make sure your pistol isn't imprinting when you go in and you'll be fine.
Old October 15, 2006, 10:46 PM   #44
Hkmp5sd

The signs don't mean squat in Florida. However, that isn't the point. Yes, concealed is concealed and I can still carry there if I want. Doesn't matter. If a business posts signs prohibiting legal firearms, I refuse to do business with them. I don't care if they are the bestest, cheapest, mostest store in the hemisphere, I refuse to spend my money there.

If enough people would likewise boycott these stores, there would be an effect. The local Blockbusters posted no CCW signs a few years ago. It only took a few weeks of boycotting them for the signs to vanish.
Old October 16, 2006, 01:35 AM   #45
westphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbait's_revenge
technically so is wally-world. even though they sell them, they don't want you to carry them into thier stores. around here, they are so strict about weapons being in the store, that when you buy one the manager has to walk you to your car and place it in your trunk.

just make sure your pistol isn't imprinting when you go in and you'll be fine.
I believe the policy to walk you outside is a nationwide policy. They do it here in Arizona also. They only walk you outside though. I believe they do it so you are not roaming the store with a firearm that you just purchased. If you were to load that firearm and use it - it would cost them a lot in a civil case. The local Sams Club and Wal-Mart here do not restrict at all. I have seen open carry left and right. Nobody says anything to them. I like shopping at the Sams and Wal-Mart so I hope they don't change their policy. I used to like Costco also, but I stay away now.
Old October 17, 2006, 06:50 AM   #46
jailbait's_revenge

Walmart Horror Story from kentucky
Old October 17, 2006, 10:24 AM   #47
FirstFreedom

Sigh

1. Yes, you can ignore and carry concealed - in most states you will still be asked to leave and given an opportunity to do so, before being charged with trespass. Always claim that you never saw the sign. This won't even come up anyway unless you get made.

2. So that's the immediate practical issue. But the bigger, longterm issue is that is DOES matter, most definitely. Having those "stupid signs" conditions the sheeple that guns are bad, period - and that we have no right to BEAR arms. This is about long-term mental conditioning, which can affect people's views and the way they vote. So CostCo MUST BE boycotted and bombarded with correspondence, by all means.

3. WA is the new gunkid, IMO.
Old October 17, 2006, 10:34 AM   #48

Quote:
Dear Ken,

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.

In reference to your inquiry on our policy disallowing the carrying of firearms in our warehouse stores.
Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.
Bringing a firearm into our warehouse does not enhance the shopping experience. We are sorry the message you are hearing is that “we don’t want you.” It is the firearms that we exclude in the warehouses, not the carriers.

Thank you,

Costco Wholesale Corporation
[email protected]
I emailed them and asked for info about their insurance company. Since my safety is so important to them I want to make sure they can afford to take care of me if something happens since they are "protecting me". I'll let you know what they say.
Old October 17, 2006, 04:55 PM   #49
woodeckt

I am glad we do not have any costco stores here. I agree though with the majority here and don't ask don't tell just go about your buisness. I would deffinatly boycott the store though and let all my friends and relatives know also.

Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Old October 17, 2006, 05:06 PM   #50
Wildalaska

Quote:
Having those "stupid signs" conditions the sheeple that guns are bad, period - and that we have no right to BEAR arms. This is about long-term mental conditioning, which can affect people's views and the way they vote. So CostCo MUST BE boycotted and bombarded with correspondence, by all means.
Gunowners themselves who use the term sheeple do more harm than Cosco signs

WildgunMANAlaska
Closed Thread