The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 1, 2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Blindstitch

Pistol scope recomendations wanted.

Does anyone use a pistol with a scope for hunting? If so can you recommend a scope that fits well in shooting 25-75 yards?

Currently using a red dot but I hate dead batteries yet i've never had any in the field.
Old September 1, 2017, 08:45 PM   #2
Prof Young

Simmons . . .

I've had a Simmons 3-9 x (I can't remember) on my 44 mag raging bull for about ten years. It has worked well and stood up the "punishment" until just recently when the threaded ring on the front end popped off. A touch of red titebond and it hasn't popped off since. I've taken two white tail with it and gun season will see it in the stand with me at least one day of the hunt.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raging bull.JPG (147.3 KB, 12 views)
Old September 1, 2017, 08:57 PM   #3
black mamba

The problem with scopes on handguns is the extra weight. Even a straight 2x scope will add ¾ of a pound over the same gun with a red dot. If you have to shoot offhand, the extra weight is tough to overcome. Since LER scopes already have a limited field of view, any fixed power over 2 or 3x will compromise shooting at close ranges, where it can be very difficult to find your target quickly. So then you are looking at a 1-4x or 2-7x variable, and they weigh even more. I have found that unless shooting from a solid rest, I'm better off with the red dot, and the UltraDot 30 is the best one I've used (of many!).

Old September 1, 2017, 10:39 PM   #4
Blindstitch

I have a CVA Optima pistol with 14 inch barrel. So it's already 3 pounds. Many have suggested shooting it with the opposing hand on the forend.

Old September 2, 2017, 01:07 AM   #5
1stmar

I have a Simmons 2x on a gp100, probably 20 years now. Now complaints. Works well, clear, consistent and holds zero.
Old September 2, 2017, 08:23 PM   #6
Blindstitch

Ended up at Cabela's today looking at all the handgun scopes from $0-400 and somehow walked out with the Cabela's Six Shooter with "lifetime guarantee".

I want to say I looked at a Bushnell, Vortex, Nikon, Burris and a few others and the Six Shooter was the clearest and easiest to get a full view through quickly. I had hopes for the Bushnell but at 2x it was easy to get a clear picture but 6x wasn't getting anything as good as I expected. I liked the Nikon but the Six Shooter was a hair easier getting a good view.

The Cabela's Website says 14 inches of eye relief which i'm liking.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...tabsCollection

I did a quick bore sight and the cross-hairs are about an inch high at 5 yards and almost out of adjustment so i'm hoping the X pattern between scope and bullet crosses around 50 yards. Only testing will show what happens.
Old September 2, 2017, 10:17 PM   #7
Prof Young

Good deal. Pentax has lifetime guarantee on their scopes too. Even if it's your fault that it's damaged they will replace it. I've had one for about ten years now and currently it's on my AR. Good scope.

Life is good.
Prof Young