The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 14, 2017, 07:04 PM   #1
'88Scrat

96 Swede Need Help Fast!

So I'm here at a range and there is a guy who has a Swedish Mauser for sale. $500 out the door. It looks real pretty, and all parts seem to match but I know next to nothing about them.

Was made in 1902 and I would put the condition at above average. Caliber is 6.5x55 Swedish

Help! I'm trying to decide if its worth it to grab it now and ask forgiveness. But I need to know like in the next couple hours!
Old October 14, 2017, 07:27 PM   #2
Nunya53

Do it! Caliber is right...love my 6.5x55 Swedes

Jerry
Old October 14, 2017, 07:32 PM   #3
saleen322

I assuming it is the Carl Gustaf military model you are referring to so if that is the case, I have two of them. Very good cartridge and most all of these rifles are well made. As far as price, I don't know what they bring now. Good luck
Old October 14, 2017, 07:42 PM   #4
Mobuck

$500 buys any of a wide variety of commercial bolt actions that are much better suited to most hunting scenarios.
Old October 14, 2017, 07:43 PM   #5
'88Scrat

Yup its a Carl Gustaf. Forgot to mention the cleaning rod is still attached for what that's worth.

Honestly $500 seems a little steep from what I'm seeing online, but not totally out of line. It's a gun shop so I'm sure he's hoping to make a little money on it.
Old October 14, 2017, 07:49 PM   #6
'88Scrat

Mobuck

This is not something I would use to hunt with. It would definitely go under the because I could and it was cool and HISTORY. This one is 115 years old!
Old October 14, 2017, 08:15 PM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
know next to nothing about them.
That is usually the worst kind of gun to buy. If you know nothing about them, don't just jump in, you can get taken.
Quote:
I would put the condition at above average.
How do you know?

Unless you have seen a bunch of them, pretty much all Model 1896 Swedish Mausers look good, especially when compared with Spanish or German Mausers. They didn't go through a major war!
Old October 14, 2017, 09:15 PM   #8
'88Scrat

I hit the brakes on it, I've been burned on impulse buys like that before (*cough* Universal M1 Carbine *cough*) so I'll do a little research first.

I took some pictures but am getting my butt kicked by the uploader thing at the moment...
Old October 14, 2017, 10:12 PM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
I've been burned on impulse buys like that before (*cough* Universal M1 Carbine *cough*)
I have one of those and it's a blast to shoot, only paid $200 for it and I knew what I was buying. I don't buy old milsurp rifles very often unless they've been bubbaed, and then I don't pay much for them. Anyway, good luck with the research hopefully it turns out the rifle is a good deal.
Old October 20, 2017, 03:10 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

If the rifle is still in its issue trim, there should be a brass disc in the stock. This disc has the barrel measurements from the last time the rifle was arsenal checked. It's in a kind of a code, and in metric, but the marking will tell you where in the tolerance range the barrel measured.

I can't tell you how to read it, off the top of my head, but it was explained very well in a thread some years ago. Do some searching of our archives, you should be able to find it.

I have one of the 96 "long rifles" 1917 date, and some time ago, I checked the stock disc and it said my barrel was smack dab right in the middle of its allowed range.

Cool gun to shoot, recoil is very mild and a moderate 140gr handload slaps the 400yd gong with boring repeatability, as long as you judge the wind right.
(and that's with the rear sight all the way DOWN! )
Old October 20, 2017, 04:29 PM   #11
FITASC

I bought a "sporterized" Swede with a carbine barrel back in the early 80s for $165 and that included 2 battle packs of 200 rounds each

Had my smith cut and bend and weld the bolt for a scope.

120 or 140 - it would do 1.25" 3-shot group at 100........date was 1907

DAMN! Should have kept that one over my newer 7-08; the recoil was nothing in comparison. That gun even had a Williams receiver sight on it........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 23, 2017, 05:59 PM   #12
Huffmanite

Own my share of military surplus rifles. Not that unusual for someone at range I'm a member to ask my advice on what military surplus rifle to buy with intention to participate in our ranges monthly military rifle competition that we vary the distance shot from 100 to 400 yds. More than likely, I'll recommend buying a 6.5x55 Swede military rifle. Own several of them and just have a high opinion of the quality of the Swede made rifles and how they took care of them.

As to paying $500 for a M96 Swede, well to me that seems too high a price. Last time I bought a M96 (at a gun show maybe4 15 years ago, that someone had brought to sell on the floor) and it was one in pretty darn good condition and paid $200 for it. Its owner was a Swede collector and he needed money to buy a Remington Rolling Block rifle he'd found at the gun show we were attending.

Recall chatting with a guy in Oklahoma years ago that loved Swedes. He did minor gunsmithing using Swedes. He'd sporterize them and sell them to farmer's in his area to use as inexpensive hunting rifles. LOL, I recall him complaining about them getting kinda pricey. Seems when he first started buying surplus Swedes to redo and sell, he was paying less than $30 for them.
Old October 25, 2017, 01:28 PM   #13
'88Scrat

It has since sold. I didook up how to read the numbers on the brass disk in the stock. That was a pretty clever idea on the part of the Swedish armorers. Only problem with it I see in regards to a milsurp is it is only the last it was graded by the Swedes. Doesn't take into account how long its been in civilian circulation.
Old October 25, 2017, 03:05 PM   #14
Don Fischer

Some of the 96 Mauser's were quite a bit weaker than 98's on. If I wnter a cartridge like that, I do have it, I'd look for a much more modern action. I think all the company's selling inexpensive rifles chamber either the 6.5 Creedmore and or the 260 Rem. Both on a shorter action. Brand new seem's to be under $00 depending on what you buy. The performance you'll get will be on par or above the 6.5x55. My own 6.5x55 is a mod 70 Feather weight, love it!
Old November 28, 2017, 10:05 PM   #15
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer
My own 6.5x55 is a mod 70 Feather weight, love it!
I bought a Winchester 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55 off GunBroker about a month ago...NOS...a little pricey, but not very common. I love it! No regrets!!!

Jerry
Old November 28, 2017, 10:27 PM   #16
James K
Member In Memoriam

Many of the problems of the pre-98 Mausers can be traced to the often so-so quality of Spanish rifles of that era, The Swedish guns are another story, whether made in Germany or in Sweden itself, and I have had no hesitation about taking full advantage of the excellent 6.5x55 cartridge. (This does not mean "stuff the case full of any old powder" or "you can't blow up a Swede"; it does mean that the quality on those rifles is excellent for any reasonable cartridge and load.)

Jim
Old December 1, 2017, 09:35 AM   #17
Heavy Metal 1

I handload for mine. It shoots 140gr bullets w/ extreme accuracy. At usual hunting ranges ~100-200 yds it will go through whitetails like a hot knife through butter. For the Swede I hunt with I put a Williams aperture sight on it and that is the only mod (and is reversable) I have made. I have a genuine Swede sling on it which when properly adjusted can help you stay steady on aim. I shoot Nosler partitions which are most likely, pardon the pun, overkill for deer.
Old December 13, 2017, 10:42 AM   #18
Fischer

I think the price is high! I have a 1943, paid 96 in 1993or4.I recognize that prices have gone up but...... man. I am certain you could do far better. Then again.....what do I know...