The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 16, 2017, 06:07 AM   #1
DUNITALL

Ruger Mark 4 Hunter and Target

I am thinking of getting these two pistols and would like to have comments pro and com on the guns.
Old August 16, 2017, 08:10 AM   #2
fourbore

I like the grip angle. That is a natural best fit for the human anatomy.

I decided to go with a Volquartsen trigger up grade kit in my Mk III Comp & MK IV Hunter. The stock triggers maybe ok for the so-called average shooter. I wanted better. The trigger on most new guns these days is the down side. That includes Mk pistols. My IV was worse than the III. They can be dry fired a little. A dealer should let you dry fire it. You decide.

There are lots of accessories if you like tossing money at your guns. It is mostly a lot of wasted money in my view. Except serious target grips and there the after market is just getting caught up to the IV. I do fine with stock grips. But, the Mk III comp grips are better than the Mk IV comp grips. The hunter grips are the same feel from III to IV.

It has an ambi safety that can be converted to right hand only. The detent is weak. Kind of a design flaw in my opinion. Not a problem for me, just annoying to me that Ruger engineers would mess up something so simple.

They had a recall on the Mk IV sear (and also new safety part). No problem on the new guns. An older Mk IV or any Mk IV there should be an "S" on the white safe spot. if not you can send it back or just install the VQ upgrade and dump all the suspect parts. (my opinion, only fwiw)

I like a steel frame for a steady hold. And I just like steel. For steel the choices are the Competition or the Hunter. I recommend both or either. Really the comp for nth degree shooting or the hunter for killer looks. No pun.

The target is aluminum framed. In an aluminum gun, I would expect something like a tapered 5 inch barrel to compliment the light weight frame. I dont see a light frame with a heavy barrel. They sell like hot cakes, so what do I know. You can save a few bucks and get a fine pistol, I guess.

The Mk IV is a nice upgrade over the Mk III with easy take down and they removed the problematic Loaded Chamber Indicator.

If you mount a scope and test shoot off a good rest, 1/2 inch 5 shots groups at 25 yards are possible. I got that with a Mk III Competition and would expect the IV could do the same. I would have to pull my file on the Mark IV Hunter. I think it was close to that, maybe not quite as good. I think an inch should be expected with any Mk xxx and right ammo. The Comps might have a slight accuracy edge for reasons unknown. Without a good scope (4x optical scope) I doubt anyone could ever know.

Last edited by fourbore; August 16, 2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old August 16, 2017, 11:06 AM   #3
laytonj1

Quote:
The target is aluminum framed.
The blued Target is aluminum framed, the stainless Target is steel framed.
The only difference between the comp, hunter and stainless target are the barrel profiles and in the case of the hunter, the sights. All of them have the same accuracy potential.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; August 16, 2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old August 16, 2017, 09:02 PM   #4
CDR_Glock

I have a Target Competition version, Mark II. I'm sure the tradition of accuracy still carries on. I did replace my trigger with a Volquartsen which makes it extremely easier for me to shoot.

Reliability has been 100%. You will learn that rimfire has many bad primers in bulk boxes. Never had any issues with Eley ammunition, at all. I have hit golf balls at 25 yards, free handed, and have hit even thin metal rods at 50 yards with it. I have a set of Match Dot Ultra dots on mine. I have at least 20, 000 rounds through it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 17, 2017, 07:00 AM   #5
DUNITALL

Thanks ;to all for your quick response. I am looking at the mark4 mostly because of the take down ease Dunitall
Old August 17, 2017, 01:53 PM   #6
SGW Gunsmith

The Ruger Mark IV is a very fine representation of where Ruger wants to go with their Mark pistols.
For someone to post that ALL the aftermarket parts produced for the Ruger Mark pistols are not necessary, is ignorant as to how these pistols perform from the factory, or, has most likely NEVER had one apart, tested it, or worked on one thoroughly. It's impossible to get any representative amount of experience when you've only owned one Ruger Mark III pistol, let alone never had it apart to see what really does make that pistol "tick".

For one thing: There's a very GOOD reason why there are at least 6 aftermarket producers of better "extractors" than the currently provided stamped steel extractor Ruger has been using for 69 years.

Volquartsen produces many aftermarket parts for the Mark pistols that are "restricted" by Ruger as far as selling individually. Many are only replaced at Ruger on an exchange basis only, so that's why Volquartsen started selling parts for the Ruger Mark pistols, and those parts are, in many cases, better than the factory provided part. For example: The Volquartsen Target Sear will drop-in replace the factory sear and improve your trigger pull from 5½ to 6 pounds, down to a safe 2½ to 3 pounds.

"Caveat Lector" For those on the east coast.........Reader Beware.