The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2009, 10:16 PM   #1
bigbearcb

Is this a browning A-5???

Hello everyone long time. I will get down right to it. I recently aquired this shot gun and the local people tell me it is a browning A-5 semi auto shotgun but i am unable to get a definate year serial number something that supports anything that they are saying. So i figured that who better to ask then yall! between the lot of ya there really aint much yall dont know so im asking for your help. I will try to get a pic to go with it as soon as I can okay ? Thanks in advance and thank you all for your help

on the barrel : Remington Arms-Union Metallic Cartridge CO , Remington Works ILION, N.Y. USA Brownings patents OCT 9 1900, Dec 17 1901, Sept 30 1902, June 16 1903

On the reciever : FABRIQUE - NATIONALE - HERSTAL - LIEGE. BELGIUM-BROWNING'S PATENTS Oct 9 1900, Dec 17 1901, Sept30 1902, June 16 1903

Right behind the forearm the only other numbers on the gun is 6576
Old June 22, 2009, 10:32 PM   #2
10-96

the Browning A5 (your receiver) and the Remington Model 11 (your bbl) were made off of the same original designs/patents/whatever. But they were different. It's my understanding that Remington bbls can be made to fit and function (not the same)- but it's a fairly involved process. Your setup might work and it might not- I'd have a licensed Gunsmith take a peek at it. No, seriously.
By the way, Savage also made a shotgun (Model 720) that was made off of John Browning's patent.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 23, 2009, 04:54 AM   #3
armsmaster270

I have a Remington 11 with a browning, remington and savage barrels that I inherited from my Grandfather each a different choke.