The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 15, 2009, 03:53 PM   #1
SPUSCG

12 vs 20 for combat shotgun

I love the 12 but have been told by several people a 20 is better for SD/HD? Why would that be.
Old June 15, 2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Slopemeno

A semiauto 20 gauge would allow some really fast follow-up shots, but I'd rather go with a 12 gauge which allows you to select 00 buckshot.

It would be kinda neat if the ammo manufacturers made a scaled-down 20 gauge version of the reduced-recoil 12 gauge loads with a flight-control wad, but what's the largest available shot size in 20 gauge, #3 buck?
Old June 15, 2009, 04:42 PM   #3
ibdecent

there is no substitution for caliber, well in this case, amount of pellets/bullet weight. 20 may be easier to handle, but when my life is on the line, I prefer to have something as big as I can accuratley handle.
Old June 15, 2009, 05:00 PM   #4
jmr40

A lot of people select the 20 because they think it will recoil less. In guns of the same weight that may be true, but most 20's are much lighter than 12's and it is my experience that with comparable loadings the recoil is about the same. One advantage of the 12 is that it can be used with lighter loadings and will often recoil less than 20's.

The 20 guages biggest advantage is that it comes in smaller, lighter, guns that are easier to carry.
Old June 15, 2009, 05:06 PM   #5
BigJimP

You won't find any 20ga's in the fleet / or at any stations you get assigned to ....but you will find a lot of 12ga's.

20ga is not a better defensive gun / follow up shots included ... learn to shoot / and train with a 12ga and you'll be fine.
Old June 15, 2009, 09:19 PM   #6
earlthegoat2

Quote:
learn to shoot / and train with a 12ga and you'll be fine.
Could say the same for the 20, and any other gun for that matter.
Old June 15, 2009, 09:35 PM   #7
joegator

I used to have an 870 youth 20 guage that I bought for my son. It would make an excellent defense gun due to its compact size. Loaded with buckshot it would be extremely effective as a stopper. Due to its light weight however, the recoil would be close to a 12 ga.
Old June 15, 2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Southern Rebel

I just go by the advice my old man gave me when he first took me dove hunting. I kinda wanted to use the 20 gauge since it was kinder to an 11 yr old at about 120 lbs. His advice:

"Son, that 20 would be fine for the tame doves that come gliding in at a short distance, but when the wild ones come flying fast and high, the more lead you get out in front of them, the more success you're gonna have!"
Old June 15, 2009, 11:12 PM   #9
Maser

Well, I for one would have to stick with the 12 gauge because that's the gauge I'm trained with, but hey if a 20 gauge is all you have, that's just as good. I'm pretty sure if a BG takes a load of buckshot to their center of mass by EITHER a 12 or 20 gauge, they aren't going to be continuing the engagement.

There's always a lot of talk about recoil issue. You need to remember that an HD/SD situation is NOT going to be remotely the same as a typical day on the range. At the range that targets are stationary and aren't shooting back at you. During an HD/SD situation, your adrenaline is going to be so pumped that, when you do have to fire the gun, you most likely won't even notice the recoil. It's almost like when you get "buck fever" when you have a monster buck in your crosshairs. Your heart and adrenaline is pumping so much that when you squeeze off that shot, you don't notice the recoil.

Most important thing is to use a gun YOU are comfortable using. Regardless of it being 12 or 20 gauge.
Old June 15, 2009, 11:43 PM   #10
TxGun

Yeah, a 20 will work. But a 12 is more versatile and offers many more choices for HD/SD ammo. Buckshot and slugs of almost every size and velocity are easy to find (at least in "normal" times) for the 12...not so for the 20. And if recoil is an issue, be advised that, due to their lighter weight, many 20's recoil almost as much as a 12 particularly with full power loads like buckshot. The 20 makes a nice little bird gun...I have several and I really like them in that role. So yeah, a 20 will work, but for power, choices, and overall versatility for HD/SD, a 12 is the way to go, IMO.

Last edited by TxGun; June 16, 2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old June 15, 2009, 11:50 PM   #11
qwman68

Both will work in my opinion but i would rather have a 12 ga. I also would'nt want to be on the recieving end of either one..
Old June 16, 2009, 05:26 AM   #12
USMCGrunt

Well, I'm sure the 20 gage would work just fine as well as a 12 gage but in a lighter package. That being said though, the only thing we have around the house right now are 12 gage guns because it's the gage I've grown up with and all we ever had around in the first place. I wouldn't feel under-gunned with a good 20 though either.
Old June 16, 2009, 07:41 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
learn to shoot / and train with a 12ga and you'll be fine.
Could say the same for the 20, and any other gun for that matter.
Not quite so... No matter how much you practice, you will never be as good with 9 count 00 buck out of a 20 gauge as you will a 12 gauge.
Brent
Old June 16, 2009, 10:50 AM   #14
RoscoeC

One consideration is who all may have to use the weapon. If you have a petite wife or daughter the 20 gage may be smaller, lighter and easier to maneuver for them.

I don't disagree with the other posters who would opt for a larger gun, but if one can't handle that weapon effectively, then the 20 becomes the better weapon.

The reality is that given the same shot size and velocity the projectiles will do the same damage from either gun. True, you can use larger shot in the 12 and deliver a larger payload, but I am convinced that a face full of #3 buckshot from a 20 gage would be an effective deterrent.
NRA Life Member
Old June 16, 2009, 04:53 PM   #15
john1911

The only real advantage to the 12 is the variety and availability of defensive ammo. A properly loaded 20 gauge will put a bad guy down just as well as a 12 gauge, assuming the shooter is up to the task.
Old June 16, 2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Texas Man

When it boils down to you depending on a shotgun for Combat or Defense, you always need to go with 12, I believe that Power and shot placement are important for Combat, because if you put a slug through your enemy's chest and he is no longer a threat, than kick is gonna matter.
Old June 16, 2009, 08:21 PM   #17
Slopemeno

Think of it this way- What would you rather have your wife/daughter/GF armed with: A 20 gauge she practiced with or a 12 gauge she didn't?