The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 18, 2016, 12:17 AM   #1
WyMark

Model 14-7 price?

Found a very lightly used 6" 14-7 on consignment for $550. Condition seems to be 98% or better. Timing and lockup are good. Is this a fair price?
Old December 18, 2016, 12:28 PM   #2
dgludwig

About right, in this area at least. Worth a little more (maybe 25 bucks more) with papers and the box.
Old December 18, 2016, 08:32 PM   #3
WyMark

Thanks. If it's still there next time I go back it will likely come home with me.
Old December 19, 2016, 01:40 AM   #4
DaleA

Quote:
If it's still there next time I go back it will likely come home with me.
Well if it isn't don't loose any sleep over it.

Says DaleA who let a S&W 6 inch model 27 nib for $300 get away.
Old December 19, 2016, 03:28 PM   #5
dgludwig

QUOTE: Says DaleA who let a S&W 6 inch model 27 nib for $300 get away.

I hope that happened a long time ago-or I'd never find sleep again.
Old December 19, 2016, 05:08 PM   #6
ammo.crafter

Hmmm

Any idea what my daughter's mod 14-4 could be worth?
Old December 19, 2016, 05:16 PM   #7
DaleA

Sorry. I should have included the date the S&W 27 got away from me. 1978.

It was still a good deal and the day after I turned it down I went back to get it and off course it was gone.
Old December 19, 2016, 05:42 PM   #8
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Any idea what my daughter's mod 14-4 could be worth?
Difficult to say without examining it.

I can tell you I picked up a MINT 14-3 a couple of years ago for $500. The marked price was $550. When I asked if they would take $500 the dealer said it was on consignment and he would have to get back to me. I was ready for them to say no, but I was surprised as heck a few hours later when I got a call saying that the consignor had agreed to my price. To guild the lily, so to speak, the dealer said 'Oh, it comes with the box'.

But in these parts, $500 for a mint 14-3 was a steal.
Old December 19, 2016, 05:51 PM   #9
Sevens

A Model 14 exists in a place that is similar to other S&W handguns... not similar in price range necessarily, but in a similar place as such models as the 17, 28, 10, 15, 64...

They are simply phenomenal at what they do and are/were so completely successful in the market that S&W made just TONS of them, which tempers their collectibility and/or "value."

This means to own, shoot or love one -- they offer a whole lot of gun for arguably low money. Because for a 14, 15, 17, 28 or 64 to carry a lot of collector "value" it must be in very high condition and/or have some rare or odd factory original features.

The bottom line is that finding one with average and acceptable wear usually means a fantastic value as a gun to own, shoot and love at a very fair price.

I'm not sure that I would chase a 14-7 until I learned what the dash-7 represents (I don't have my book handy and I would almost assuredly be happier with an earlier gun) but even without knowing... I believe I am safe in saying that $550 is a solid buy and offers good value.
Old December 20, 2016, 01:57 AM   #10
4D5

I just recently paid $675 for a new in box 14-4.
Old December 20, 2016, 06:26 AM   #11
CajunBass

Quote:
The bottom line is that finding one with average and acceptable wear usually means a fantastic value as a gun to own, shoot and love at a very fair price.
Ain't that the truth? Not long ago I picked up this somewhat challenged 14-2 for $400.00. I didn't even think to haggle at all.

But around here, $500-550 is more the price I'd expect to see on a really nice one.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 21, 2016, 07:41 PM   #12
WyMark

It was still there today so I picked it up, $550 otd. I guess most of the other guys who looked at it already had a couple of 14's. Got to the range but it cold and windy so I only shot a couple dozen. Very smooth DA trigger is a bit lighter my GP100, and SA is almost a hair trigger. Very accurate and going to be fun gun to shoot.
Old December 11, 2017, 11:20 PM   #13
WyMark

Bumping a very old thread.

Based on a pic in another thread I ordered a set of Altamont Super Walnut grips for this 14-7.

They emailed me that they were out of stock and would ship in 1 day to 4 weeks. Two days later they emailed that they were on the way. I got them Saturday and put them on right away.

I guess it didn't occur to me that a 6" revolver with a full lug would be a round butt, but it is. I never even thought to check, and got bit hard by the ASS-U-ME bug.

They're pretty much out of all Super Walnut grips at the moment, and I'm thinking of going with this Rosewood target set instead:

Or should I just wait it out for the walnut Bateluer with finger groves?

Opinions welcome.

Old December 12, 2017, 07:17 AM   #14
upstate81

Altamont makes some fine grips. However lately i have become very fond of Ahrends grips.