The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 4, 2017, 06:26 PM   #1
Rangerrich99

A few ?s about a S&W Model 57

So I went to the gun show here in PHX yesterday (which was packed, btw) just to burn some time (in other words, I wasn't there specifically to buy anything). There was all the usual stuff to see and admire, but nothing jumped out at me except a very nice handmade knife that I decided not to take home with me.

Then I saw her. A pristine pinned S&W Model 57 .41 magnum (no dash) sporting a 6-inch barrel for $1000. Sitting in its original wooden box. The seller told me he bought it about 16 years ago, but only fired it a few times and then it sat in his safe, mostly due to health issues. Well, I was completely unprepared to blow $1000 on a gun yesterday, and the seller's price was firm, so it didn't come home with me.

Here's my questions: was a grand a good price? What's the general consensus of the quality of a pinned no-dash model 57? Would this gun have made a good investment piece? Note: if I had bought it, I would've had to pay an 11% sales tax (gun show tax).
Old December 4, 2017, 07:03 PM   #2
dgludwig

From what I know about this revolver in my area in the condition you describe, $1,000 would be a decent price if not a "steal". As older S&W revolvers go, the relatively scarce, pinned Model 57 in pristine condition would probably fall in the "collectable investment" category; if not now, someday in the not too distant future.
I never heard of a "gun show tax".

Last edited by dgludwig; December 4, 2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old December 4, 2017, 07:17 PM   #3
rodfac

I've owned one since '78, pinned and recessed with the box and all the goodies. Great shooter with it's 6" bbl. and both DA and SA triggers that define what each should feel like. I had it through the S&W factory custom shop in the early '80's for an even better trigger and was astonished at how beautiful it came out. It's by far my best N frame Smith, all but one of them, pinned and recessed BTW, but you'd better be a handloader or have hit the lottery big time to be able to feed it.

Loads are easy to put up for it...sub-2" gps at 25 yds are easy even for old eyes and if you can pack its considerable weight, it hangs well on the belt. Home cast 220 gr LSWC's or any of the good 210 gr JHP's shoot equally well. It's a good deer killer all in its own right, and does duty as a standby side arm when packing out elk in the Colorado high country.

Just some musings...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 4, 2017, 07:23 PM   #4
ThomasT

Quote:
I would've had to pay an 11% sales tax (gun show tax).
A $110 tax would have killed the deal for me. I had the exact same gun you looked at and sold it on GB about 6-7 years ago. I reloaded so ammo wasn't a problem. I just didn't shoot it. It was one of three 41s I owned. The other two were Blackhawks. I just never did warm up to the round but others really like it.
Old December 4, 2017, 07:24 PM   #5
Rangerrich99

"Gun show tax" is probably not the proper name for it. That said, as I understand it, if a vendor rents a table (as opposed to just walking around the venue) his sales are subject to a tax, which seems to be 11%.

Again, I not exactly sure, the tax was just explained to me by a vendor in passing.
Old December 4, 2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Old Stony

I personally have great respect for the model 57's, especially the older ones in the wooden boxes. Just the fact that it was intact with the original wooden box adds value to the whole deal. The price was actually probably fair, but not what I would call a "super deal". The 57's don't have the demand that the 29's do, although they do have a fair following.
I think I would have had to offer him 1,000 otd...and he could take care of the taxes himself !
Old December 4, 2017, 07:47 PM   #7
Rangerrich99

I knew that I probably should've tried to make a better offer, but I didn't want the boss to detach my head from the rest of my body Sunday night. I like to just relax most Sunday nights.
Old December 4, 2017, 10:10 PM   #8
Charlie98

The one thing really going for it was, assuming he was telling the truth, he was the original owner. Given that, $1000 was a fair deal on what was probably a very nice pistol, I've seen junk on GB go higher than that. I will admit... the 11% tax/fee/whatever would be a deal breaker, however.

I've got a 78-79'ish 4" 57, probably the best factory trigger in the entire safe.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 5, 2017, 04:53 PM   #9
mhblaw

I have one with a 8.4" barrel, TT, TH etc. that I bought new in 1976 for $295, box and all. Don't think I would take $ 1000 for it. Nice shooter too. Used for IHMSA production years ago. 220 gr. Sierra over 20 grs. 4227.
Old December 5, 2017, 06:04 PM   #10
ammo.crafter

the 57

I bought mine new around 1974 from Navy Arms who had the gun sent to Armaloy for their satin nickel-like finish.

What a beautiful gun; accurate, silky-smooth, an but as others have said, and in a great caliber...if you reload.

The price seems right.

As others have said reloading is the only way to go.
Old December 5, 2017, 09:14 PM   #11
Charlie98

Quote:
...220 gr. Sierra over 20 grs. 4227.
I recently discovered IMR4227 in the .41 were a pretty good combo. I bought 2# during the powder shortage because it was there. The pistol I intended it for (a Dan Wesson .41) did NOT like it... so here I was stuck with 1.8# of powder I didn't want. I got tired of looking at it, so I just started loading 215grn cast SWC's over a starting charge of it until the cans were empty. I took those rounds with me to WY over the summer to shoot long distance targets. What I found was... it was absurdly accurate in my 1894 Marlin (I shot it out to 600yds,) and in my 4" Smith I was hitting the 500yd target with that load!

Old December 6, 2017, 10:41 AM   #12
SaxonPig

I am old so I remember prices in the "old days" and I am constantly amazed at what guns, ammo, all of it brings today. I am no expert but I think a very clean 57 in the case would sell for a grand or more. A pristine example would bring a couple hundred more. As a general rule a shorter barrel will fetch more than a longer one.

BTW- The 57s made 1964 to 1967 came with what collectors call "Coke Bottle" stocks and those will sell for $500-$600 all by themselves. So a 57 wearing the "Cokes" is worth a lot more than a 57 with more mundane stocks.

My wife doesn't believe me when I tell her how much my gun collection has appreciated over the decades. As one example I have have three Pythons and I paid $1,050 for all three.
Old December 8, 2017, 07:34 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

I wouldn't take a $1000.00 for either of mine and they don't even have boxes or the original grips. I'd say that would have been a very fair deal.
Old December 8, 2017, 10:46 AM   #14
drbill

In my area $1000 is very reasonable, especially with the original box. I know of a 4" with 90% blue & bright bore bought last year for $975 and a mint 6" with original cardboard box bought this past summer for $1500.

They may have originally sold for $325 although in the 1970’s many sold for a premium similar to the M29. If you lived back in the early 1970’s you’ll remember that a five dollar bill bought what a couple of twenties do today.

Last edited by drbill; December 8, 2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old December 8, 2017, 12:33 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...investment piece..." No collector value.
MSRP on a BNIB M57 is $1009. A used one isn't worth the BNIB price. Even though the assorted auction sites think otherwise. No bids on any of 'em with asking prices way over MSRP on the auction sites. Bud's is asking $876.53 for one.
"...has appreciated..." Sad thing when a guy's toys are also his retirement fund. It's the milsurp accessories that have gone up the most though. Paid no more than $20 or way less for my assorted bayonets now worth over $100.
Old December 8, 2017, 08:52 PM   #16
disseminator

Guns are only worth what someone will pay for them.

This year, I bought a NEW S&W Model 29 Classic 6.5" for about $1100 out the door.

It has the lock and the grips are crap. I wouldn't do it again and would gladly pay the same money for an earlier model without the crap lock and too skinny grips that transmit a sharp sting with full power ammo.

To me an old Model 57 (I have a 58) or Model 29 in good condition is well worth the $1000 they go for.

YMMV.
Old December 9, 2017, 11:46 AM   #17
Charlie98

Quote:
Guns are only worth what someone will pay for them.
I've been preaching that for years.

Old December 9, 2017, 03:14 PM   #18
Snub357

"Gun show tax". Nope.
Old December 9, 2017, 06:39 PM   #19
RIDE-RED 350r

Fair deal. They don't make P&R Smiths any more, and the model 57 is as fine a N-frame as any. 41 mag, a fantastic albeit underappreciated cartridge.

Were I in the market for a P&R m57, I would buy one in the condition you describe at that price.
Old December 10, 2017, 09:56 AM   #20
m&p45acp10+1

In great condition with the original box in either "Like New" or "Almost Like New" is an awesome price. Even with the $110 in taxes. In good condition with a cardboard box it is worth every bit of $1k. Around here I could get $1200 to $1500 for it with the box in mint condition.
Old December 10, 2017, 10:18 AM   #21
walnut1704

It's easily worth that to a collector wanting to fill a slot. For a shooter it's too high. When I see one (which is not often) without the box and wearing Pachmayrs they are between $650-$750. You sure don't see many though. Except for the over-priced stuff on gunbroker. I searched completed auctions and there was not a single auction that actually sold.

A LNIB 657 with the (plastic) box sold for $840. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/720304451

This is not a popular cartridge. I'm surprised Ruger still makes them. I have a 657 and love it but if I didn't reload I wouldn't own one. The only reason I traded for the one I have is it came with dies and 300 pieces of brass.
Old December 10, 2017, 11:44 AM   #22
RIDE-RED 350r

It should be noted that while factory ammo isn't everywhere like 44mag, new brass and boolits for the reloader are readily available online and probably most any LGS worth it's salt.