The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 10, 2009, 02:07 AM   #1
Micahweeks

Thoughts on the FN SLP Mark 1

I am looking at possibly getting a new shotgun sometime this summer (preferably before deer season! ). I want it to be an all-around shotgun. I want it to be reliable, self-loading, and suitable for deer, turkey, duck, raccoon, garden varmints, and home intruders. I came across an FN SLP Mark 1 recently that would appear to be exactly what I am looking for. I have no way to shoot this gun, though, and would like anyone's thoughts and opinions on it before I make a decision.
Old June 11, 2009, 07:26 PM   #2
chuckles

I have the SLP, not a mark 1. They are usually cosidered to be more tactically oriented as opposed to field guns. I suppose if you can get the proper choke and get a plug to limit your mag capacity it would work. They are really nicely made shotguns. Mine is my go-to HD gun.
Old June 12, 2009, 12:31 AM   #3
Micahweeks

Yeah. That's why I was thinking of. I wanted to get a plug for it so it could be a hunting/HD gun. Does it need a modified choke for turkey?

The guy at the shop told me it had a rifled choke that goes on it for shooting slug. Now, I always thought that you shoot rifled slugs in smooth barrels and vice versa. What do you shoot in a smooth barrel if that rifled choke is on it?
Old June 12, 2009, 03:51 PM   #4
chuckles

I'm not a hunter type but I would think that a IC choke would be right for slugs and a Imp. Mod or full for turkeys. I think they use BB or something like it for Turkey. The only turkey I ever shot was with my Marlin 39A. The SLP is a very nice shotgun and I would think with the correct choke, almost anything is possible. All I have shot through mine is #4 Buck, Tru-ball slugs or 00 buck. I keep mine with a modified choke on it for HD.
Old June 12, 2009, 04:01 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Micah, A rifled tube is for the $abot $lugs...
Most guys use a full or X-full also called a turkey choke or turkey full by a few folks. If you got dumb birds that will be inside the 20 yard line...full may have negative affect. The fulls are for shots out to and even beyond 40 yards at times.
Brent
Old June 12, 2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Micahweeks

Cool! So, full choke for turkey past 20 yards, sabot slugs in the rifled tube, and a plug for hunting season. I think I'm gonna buy it. Does $1,105 new sound about right? That's what the tag says.
Old June 12, 2009, 04:51 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am a mossberg guy so a $500 dollar bill would buy me anything I could want
If you want to go to sabots that is your call but if it were me "el Cheapo" I would sell off the rifled tube and use regular slugs. To get sighted and ready for slug season would cost me more than I wanted to spend on them high dollar sabot slugs. But then again yer shopping for a gun that is alot higher grade than I use.

Plug may not be required for deer and fall turkey.
Brent
Old June 12, 2009, 05:44 PM   #8
ENC

My $0.02 is that this shotgun is not the best choice for an all around shotgun. A 22" bbl is quite short for most hunting situations. Additionally the extra weight of the mag tube extension is not going to be fun carrying around at the end of a long day hunting. As we already know no magazine is large enough for tactical situations and if five aren't enough, eight probably aren't either. I'm not dogging tactical shotguns in any way. I have owned them in the past and am currently looking for my next one.
However if looking for an all around one shotgun it would be a more traditional model.

Evan
Old June 14, 2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Micahweeks

I am inclined to agree with you. I'm not much on tactical shotguns, either. I don't have to have black stocks and bullpup grips to feel safe. The reason I was looking so hard at this model is because of the extremely good long range performance the guy told me it has. His claim is that, with the rifled tube, the FNP SLP can fire 1 inch groups at near a hundred yards. I'm thinking that's pretty darn good for any shotgun, 22 inches or longer. I have an old browning that can do pretty good at that range, too, but not 1 inch. Maybe four. It just sounds like a heck of a deer gun if can actually do that. Do you have any other models you would suggest?
Old June 14, 2009, 09:44 PM   #10
ENC

There are plenty of good semi autos out there. Given what you are willing to pay for the SLP you could probably afford about any of them within reason.

I am partial to the Browning autos myself. Specifically the Gold and Silver lines. The Winchesters are pretty much the same gun with a different name.

I also own a Rem 11-87 mine has NEVER failed on me, but you will find some people that don't like them.

The Benellis and Berettas are nice I just never had one. There are plenty of others also I am sure.
Old June 17, 2009, 08:01 PM   #11
Micahweeks

Well, most the hunting around where I can live is dense forest and wide-open fields, and it is for those 80-120 yard shots across a large meadow (where I almost always see the most deer) that I want a good 12 gauge slug gun. Are the models you just listed good with slug out to those distances?
Old June 19, 2009, 09:26 AM   #12
LanceOregon

I own one of these shotguns for home defense. It is not suitable for hunting. State and Federal laws require that shotguns be limited to 3 rounds for most types of bird hunting. I know of no one that has made a plug for the FN SLP-1 to limit it to 2+1 rounds. If a wildlife officer stopped you and examined your gun, it would definitely be confiscated, and you would be cited.

The gun is quite heavy too, so it would be a pain to carry in the field. The short 22" barrel also makes it more difficult to shoot accurately. Long barrels on shotguns give you more momentum for a smoother swing. The shorter barrel length also means greater muzzle blast, which will damage your hearing more.

Sporting shotguns should be at least 28" long, or even 30" That is what I hunt and target shoot with.

A far better general purpose shotgun for you would be the latest Beretta Model 391 Urika II semiauto. It has an amazing gas system that is super reliable, a chamber and barrel that is chromed for ultimate durability, a fantastic trigger pull, and a most comfortable stock with high tech surfaces on the stock to enhance your grip.

And I know a dealer that I do business with who currently has them on sale for $200 off their normal price, for only $699 That is quite a bit less money than the FN, and you will have a much better shooting shotgun.

Here is a link if you want to checkout his Beretta 391 Urika II sale:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=131908033

Here is a photo of my two sporting shotguns. They are a Beretta 391 Urika Gold Sporting Edition ( on the bottom ), and a Beretta 391 Extrema 2 ( on the top ):

And here is a photo of my FN SLP-1:

-
Old June 19, 2009, 04:42 PM   #13
ENC

Most any decent shotgun is going to shoot minute of deer to a hundred yards. By using a rifled choke in a smooth bbl the accuracy would be better than just using rifled slugs in a smooth bbl. When using the rifled tube you need to use Sabot slugs though. The other option is to have multiple bbls for the same shotgun. One smoothbore for birds and a usually shorter bbl that is rifled for slugs. The fully rifled bbls usually have a means to use a scope.

Evan