The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 19, 2018, 12:16 PM   #26
turkeestalker

I went through a spell where every time I would get a further review and it would take sometimes well over an hour for them to finally come back with a proceed.
I considered getting a pin number to alleviate whatever the issue was causing the further review.
I am a bit cynical and quite the skeptic regarding whether or not they’re keeping a tally on how many firearms I purchase.
Getting a personal identification number just felt too much like I would be making that easier to do.
Where’s my tinfoil hat?
Old July 19, 2018, 01:44 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzan
Yes, I already paid for the gun. they have my money. would getting a upin number make any difference for future gun purchase?
According to the BATFE, yes. If your state doesn't call the federal NICS line directly, I don't know. In my state, background checks are done through our state police. I have overheard the FFL at the range where I shoot suggest to customers that they obtain a UPIN, so possibly so.
Old July 20, 2018, 03:21 PM   #28
catzan

I got the call today. I got my gun, what a pain in the ass that was, 20 day wait.
Old July 20, 2018, 04:01 PM   #29
Theohazard

Glad you got your gun. That might be the last time you get delayed, it might be something that happens every once in a while, or it might happen every time you buy a gun from now on. If the delays continue to occur you have three options: 1) You can just live with it and know that you’ll have to wait when you buy a gun, 2) You can find a dealer who will release the firearm to you after 3 business days of being delayed, or 3) You can apply for an FBI UPIN, which will usually (though not always) help with delays that are on the federal level. However, if your delay is due to a problem with your state’s NICS point-of-contact (I don’t know how OR works), then a UPIN probably won’t be much help.